NAB 2024 - predictions?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matt White

Re: NAB 2024 - predictions?

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:45 pm

It's a bit disappointing after waiting for so long for new camera announcements to find that the new models are not suitable. Perhaps next year.

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:… or shoot cDNG on the Ursa Mini. Not a big deal though.

Agree. Two cameras usually mean two angles and usually two different lenses. In practice, the different angles means that the same set lighting falls on subjects differently. That often makes a greater difference than Gen 4 versus Gen 5 colour science. The UM4.6K shoots Gen 3, but DaVinci Resolve Camera raw easily gives you Gen 4. Gen 5 adds compression which can make a significant difference for the better in brighter areas. Both have highlight recovery.

I’d also recommending initial grading be done with HDR controls rather than SDR for more controlled adjustments. Once I’ve generated my HDR deliverable, then I revert to SDR and make appropriate changes for 709 and sRGB.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:58 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:You can all laugh at me, but I'm selling my 6k FF rig and going to.....

an URSA Mini 4.6k! the OG.
I found one under $1k in amazing condition. I was going to go back to the UMPG2, but I have all these fancy IRNDs lying around and I might as well utilize what I have.

I'm going to sit on the current products for now. If there's anything BMD has taught me is patience, haha.
If it would EVER make sense for me to own the Ursa Cine, I know I'll enjoy that camera to death.
But for now, the UM4.6k is gonna be paired with a Pocket 6k Pro for most, if not all, of my shoots for the foreseeable future.

(unless BMD wants to send me a camera to review, hehe)
I don’t blame you. The UM4.6K was fantastic! I still go back and rewatch footage I shot on it and am happy.

I love my UMPG2 as well. Great continuation and improvement.

I priced out $4.5K for 4 B-Mount Batteries and Quad Charger fitting what I think would be right for the Cine 12K. Thus with the Cine Viewfinder Package of $16.5K you’re sitting on $21K investment. I’m sure you could go up to needing $25K for the investment for the UCine12K package before long adding an extra Media Module and other extras.

It will be a while before I can raise that money. So I’m happy waiting or potentially renting only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Adam Langdon

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 11:38 am

Well, oddly enough, the UM4.6k deal fell through, BUT I reached out to a mutual friend on instagram and found an UMPG2 for not much more!

Looking back, it was the best-use camera I’ve owned.
Looking forward to getting back to “simplicity” of not panting for the latest and greatest.
And if and when the opportunity makes sense for an Ursa Cine, I’ll love that too!
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

CodySolo

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 pm

BTS on the Ursa Cine shoot:

Robert Niessner

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 pm

CodySolo wrote:BTS on the Ursa Cine shoot:

That guy with the hat - I think I saw him in all the other BMD BTS over the years. Looks familiar. Something with BRAW in his name or so...
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

John Brawley

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 pm

What’s great about this is that it shows how you would actually use two screens.

You see me on one side changing something and my key first ac Denis on the other side at the same time.

For those that say focus pullers won’t use it for focusing it’s true. But it was incredibly useful and I was surprised how often it happened that we were both wanting to access it at the same time.

Also worth noting some of my favourite shots are the actors around the fire well after sunset.

This is a really tough ask for DR. The flames aren’t clipped and yet we still see shadow detail in the actors face and this is after sunset with very low light. That show off to me the DR better than many shots.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Michel Rabe

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 6:02 pm

Do you know if there will be more footage to download from that shoot? E.g. that fire shot you mention.

timbutt2

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 pm

John Brawley wrote:What’s great about this is that it shows how you would actually use two screens.

You see me on one side changing something and my key first ac Denis on the other side at the same time.

For those that say focus pullers won’t use it for focusing it’s true. But it was incredibly useful and I was surprised how often it happened that we were both wanting to access it at the same time.

Also worth noting some of my favourite shots are the actors around the fire well after sunset.

This is a really tough ask for DR. The flames aren’t clipped and yet we still see shadow detail in the actors face and this is after sunset with very low light. That show off to me the DR better than many shots.

JB

Yes! I noted that fire shot dynamic range flex as well! That's what made me say this is definitely the best performance out of any Blackmagic Camera I've seen yet. Great stuff JB!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

WahWay

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm

CodySolo wrote:BTS on the Ursa Cine shoot:

Same place, different camera

Matt White

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 8:18 pm

John Brawley wrote:Also worth noting some of my favourite shots are the actors around the fire well after sunset.

JB

This was the set of shots that caught my interest, for that very reason. Promo footage rarely surprises me, but those shots did.
Previous

Return to Cinematography