Blackmagic 4K and rokinon cinelens anyone?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Pedro Chaves

Blackmagic 4K and rokinon cinelens anyone?

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi,

does anyone have a 4k camera and one of the rokinon cinelenses? I would love to see some footage of it in 4k.

anyone? :D

thanks,

cheers,

Pedro

Dan MCcready

Re: Blackmagic 4K and rokinon cinelens anyone?

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:12 pm

I have the 4k camera and I'm using the Rokinon/samyangs. I have tested the 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4 both lens look good, actually I would say for the money these lenses are Excellent on this camera. They look very sharp and clean, better than my canons in colour (each lens looks the same colour wise without shift) and as good as the Tokina 11-16mm, in fact they match up really well with the Tokina in colour terms, so less colour matching/correcting in post between shots. I don't have any footage online yet as I'm working on a film using a Canon c300 at he moment. I'm out shooting in the Lake District this weekend so hopefully I will have some online soon.

Dave Perry

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:16 pm

I have the 24mm and 85mm Rokinon cine lenses. The shots in the sample below were shot mostly with them except for the shots of the Catholic church and Virgin Mary and the woman getting out of her car. They were shot with my 50 year old Nikon Nikkor S 50mm f/1.4. I like the Rokinons but they tend to be a little soft. I have two Nikons that are tack sharp, much more so than the Rokinons. The other Nikon is a 30 year old 35mm-70mm f/2.8 that is fantastic. It's not used in this film though. I have shot some with it and will be posting it soon. I shoot a lot with the Rokinons because they mate well with a matte box, are geared for follow focus and aperture, plus aperture is declicked. Not to mention price. The old Nikons are much sharper but are not as easy to use in a cinema shoot.

http://daveperry.net/bmpc-4k-samples/
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Dave Perry

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Macksey wrote:I have the 4k camera and I'm using the Rokinon/samyangs. I have tested the 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4 both lens look good, actually I would say for the money these lenses are Excellent on this camera. They look very sharp and clean, better than my canons in colour (each lens looks the same colour wise without shift) and as good as the Tokina 11-16mm, in fact they match up really well with the Tokina in colour terms, so less colour matching/correcting in post between shots. I don't have any footage online yet as I'm working on a film using a Canon c300 at he moment. I'm out shooting in the Lake District this weekend so hopefully I will have some online soon.

Hey Macksey, does the Tokina have hard stops for focus?
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Dan MCcready

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:55 pm

dp351 wrote:
Macksey wrote:I have the 4k camera and I'm using the Rokinon/samyangs. I have tested the 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4 both lens look good, actually I would say for the money these lenses are Excellent on this camera. They look very sharp and clean, better than my canons in colour (each lens looks the same colour wise without shift) and as good as the Tokina 11-16mm, in fact they match up really well with the Tokina in colour terms, so less colour matching/correcting in post between shots. I don't have any footage online yet as I'm working on a film using a Canon c300 at he moment. I'm out shooting in the Lake District this weekend so hopefully I will have some online soon.

Hey Macksey, does the Tokina have hard stops for focus?

Yeah it does Dp351 such a nice lens and sharp at 13mm plus. I never have it wide open but on the 4k it's not bad at 11mm. I can tel you it's just as good on the BMPC as the canon c300 and that's a decent camera. I'm just hoping they will sort out the flat noise patten in low light, easily sorted in post but I'm hoping the lossless Raw will help.

Michael Weathersby

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Since Photography uses higher quality images shouldn't most decent lenses work on a 4k camera? If it wasn't a good lens in the first place, then you probably shouldn't use it period. That being said I am a fan of Rokinon for everything except their 14mm. They just released the 16mm and its noticeably better..

Dan MCcready

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Michael Weathersby wrote:Since Photography uses higher quality images shouldn't most decent lenses work on a 4k camera? If it wasn't a good lens in the first place, then you probably shouldn't use it period. That being said I am a fan of Rokinon for everything except their 14mm. They just released the 16mm and its noticeably better..

Yeah Michael your right the 16mm is much better than the 14mm Ronkinon. The only reason I don't have the 16mm is I already have the Tokina 11-16, other wise it would of been next on my list.

Rohan Dadswell

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm finding the 16mm very soft around the edges - very disappointing. The 35mm is good.
Rohan Dadswell - Rotating Head Productions
Lighting Cameraman
Canberra, Australia

Scott Pultz

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Rohan Dadswell wrote:I'm finding the 16mm very soft around the edges - very disappointing. The 35mm is good.

What aperture are you using? It's pretty sharp when stopped down to F8-F11

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 3:32 am

Michael Weathersby wrote:Since Photography uses higher quality images shouldn't most decent lenses work on a 4k camera? If it wasn't a good lens in the first place, then you probably shouldn't use it period. That being said I am a fan of Rokinon for everything except their 14mm. They just released the 16mm and its noticeably better..

Good to know! A personal set of their cine lenses is my next big purchase. I was very pleased to hear about their 16, but less pleased to hear it is not full frame. Would you happen to have some some footage shot with the 16 online?
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 3:34 am

Macksey wrote:

Yeah Michael your right the 16mm is much better than the 14mm Ronkinon. The only reason I don't have the 16mm is I already have the Tokina 11-16, other wise it would of been next on my list.

But the Tokina does not have clickless stops? I know it's not geared.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Rohan Dadswell

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 4:20 am

Scott Pultz wrote:
Rohan Dadswell wrote:I'm finding the 16mm very soft around the edges - very disappointing. The 35mm is good.

What aperture are you using? It's pretty sharp when stopped down to F8-F11

Used it from wide open (unusable, except arty music clips) through to f8 (much better but not super sharp). Also have the Tokina 11-16 which is usable at f2.8/4 - might have to save up to get the manual version.
Rohan Dadswell - Rotating Head Productions
Lighting Cameraman
Canberra, Australia

Return to Cinematography