Is there any way to contact Grant Petty short of going to NA

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:55 pm

Hi Folks
I love listening to Grant’s interviews where he talks about how much he enjoys going to trade shows to talk with customers. I want to talk to him about my (and others’) customer support experience and where my pain points are. But I don’t go to trade shows. Is there any way I can connect with him?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Joe
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

rick.lang

Re: Is there any way to contact Grant Petty short of going t

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 6:14 pm

Perhaps you could start that conversation in this thread by sharing your thoughts with us if you’re comfortable with that.
Rick Lang

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 9:55 pm

Sigh. I don’t want to get anyone in trouble. I just want to see if the way our interactions with BMD go on some of these forums is the way Grant wants it to be.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 10:04 pm

Interaction on these forums with anyone from BM (not Grant) is sporadic, and at their discern.
If you own Studio or one of their other products, direct contact to addresses given on their website is more promising. I had nothing but good experiences when we needed support, but maybe I was just lucky.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 10:27 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:... I don’t want to get anyone in trouble...

Then that is something that is best verbally discussed face-to-face rather than e-mails for example. it may be that NAB could present an opportunity for a brief chat since Grant would be there, but personally, I wouldn’t put that burden on him at that time.

Just speculating, it is likely Grant creates an environment where people are free to do their jobs to the best of the ability and he wouldn’t become involved in a direct way allowing that people can occasionally make mistakes or have misunderstandings in the course of their duties, but he likely is to be supportive of the team while appreciating your feedback. The team appears to be incredibly supportive of Grant and that’s going to be reciprocal respect.

I think it’s even possible if you did verbalize a complaint to Grant, you might wish afterward you had just let it go. Sometimes when we feel we are mistreated, the healthier response is to forgive the offender which can ease your own injury and lead to forgetting the hurt.

Now that advice may not be applicable in all cases, but worth thinking about for a moment. None of us are perfect.
Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:29 pm

rick.lang wrote:Now that advice may not be applicable in all cases, but worth thinking about for a moment. None of us are perfect.

On the other hand...........

You could mention it here and those that are going to NAB can address the matter with BMD if applicable.

That is the power of community.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 2:12 pm

I think in essence that's easy to communicate: please no more features, but bug fixing and a few quite easy to improve points in the user experience, as Joe has already mentioned under "low-hanging fruit".
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 4:10 pm

Yes that’s the gist of it. I think Resolve is in danger of getting the reputation of being buggier than Premiere.

Since lots of people are switching to it, now (well really yesterday) is the time to make the UI more intuitive and discoverable and the program as bug-free as possible.

The other aspect is support. Right now there’s really no way to file a bug and keep track of its progress. That combined with the glacial rate of fixes for discussed bugs makes it seem like the users are being ignored.
Resolve 18.6.6

Return to Cinematography