BMPCC 4K ISSUE

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

evalsenola

BMPCC 4K ISSUE

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 10:23 pm

Hi, ive just bought my very first camera, the bmpcc 4K. I have a T7 shield and a 10gbs usb c cable. When i shoot 4k braw Q0, the whole camera freezes when i try to playback the footage. i can only shoot 1080p but i want to shoot 4k. Also the footage doesnt open on my mac. Cant open them on resolve either. I downloaded samples of braw files and can open them just fine.

I bought my camera on keh.com (used) could that be it? Or am i missing something.

Help a noob out :(

evalsenola

Re: BMPCC 4K ISSUE

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 6:47 pm

Also, tried to update de camera to the newest update and when i click update the camera goes dark and My mac then says unable to find any device. camera cant be turned on unless i take out the batteries and put them back in.

I tested the speed of my mac and my ssd card and everything works fine. Tried multiple cords.
Also, i tried filming with lower quality, but when i do try to playback the footage, footage is frozen and theres a pink rectangle on the screen. (playback on camera and mac)

VMFXBV

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 pm

T7 (shield or non shield) are kind of garbage SSDs for recording. You could try another cable to rule out cable issues. Formatting on the mac instead of the camera etc. Drop the Q quality to Q1 Q5 see if anything changes.

I would get some CFAST cards if I were you though.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Inpudent Cat

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 8:59 pm

Hello. Samsung SSDs have problems. I bought a SanDisk E-61 1TB. This is enough to shoot Braw 8\1 or 12\1. If you need more speed, take SanDisk E-81.

Inpudent Cat

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:04 pm

There is also a setting in your camera - what to do if frames are skipped. There are two options - Skip frames or stop recording. Select "Stop recording" Most likely you have the frame skip mode set and you see freezes. Dropped frames are the result of a bad SSD.

John Paines

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:23 pm

Unless you're doing specialized post production work, you don't need to shoot Q0. If you select Q5 instead, you can even use cheap Sandisk Pro Extreme SDXC UHS-II cards reliably @ 24 fps. No need for SSDs and all the headaches which go with it.

evalsenola

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:30 pm

Inpudent Cat wrote:There is also a setting in your camera - what to do if frames are skipped. There are two options - Skip frames or stop recording. Select "Stop recording" Most likely you have the frame skip mode set and you see freezes. Dropped frames are the result of a bad SSD.

Thanks, but what about the update issue? when i try to update de camera to the newest update and when i click update the camera goes dark and My mac then says unable to find any device. camera cant be turned on unless i take out the batteries and put them back in. Tried this with three different cables

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 pm

The suggestions you have been given may solve your problem. Certainly try those suggestions for your camera setting.

What frame rate were you using?

Did you format the SSD in the camera or by your computer? I think the journaled format is recommended rather than exFAT but that’s not your problem.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 10:10 pm

evalsenola wrote:
I bought my camera on keh.com (used) could that be it?

Yes.

If you haven’t already, read the approved media list for your Pocket 4K here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95785#p531283 Your initial post suggests that you may not be aware of this document.

Only certain T7 drives are approved, and only within certain limits. If you are using a 500GB T7, it is not approved.

Make sure that your camera has the latest firmware.

Note Impudent’s and Rick’s posts above.

If you have these problems when recording with your T7, assuming that it’s approved, and within the stated limits, get your hands on anther drive to determine whether your particular T7 is the problem. Personally, I would want to test this with another copy of the same T7, but any approved drive can be used.

If it turns out that the problems happen with two approved drives, read what KEH says about returns.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Return to Cinematography