My wishes for the iPhone BlackMagic Camera App.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

DaveKnowles

My wishes for the iPhone BlackMagic Camera App.

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

I have given the app a really good test shooting 5TB using it over a period of 5 weeks in India.I used the internal iPhone Pro Max 1TB drive and off loaded the footage each evening. This worked well but I found it a shame that Apple does not allow the phone to appear as a drive in files when plugged in. I have no idea why as it does appear in the Apple Photo App but if it did maybe you could then download to more than one drive as you can on the iPad using Hedge.

Apart from this which I feel that BlackMagic are unable to implement I would love to see the following added to the app.

1. a way to download the files to a SSD or similar using checksum. This is implemented in DaVinci so I feel it should be possible to add it to the camera app. Also you do have Hedge (or OffShoot Solo as they now call it) on the iPad which works really well.
2. When you choose an external microphone plugged into the USB socket and then switch off the phone, when you switch back on it often defaults back to the iPhone microphones. I would like this not to happen as it can be a real pain having to check each time.
3. Being able to monitor the sound from an external microphone plugged into the USB C socket. This is possible in FilMic Pro using the bluetooth AirPods and I can monitor with a work around using the VocaLive App from 1K for their iRig Microphones. When using that app you need to have it running in the background and use a USB C splitter that separates the microphone and headphones. These are readily available from Amazon.
My feeling about this though it must be possible to monitor the sound from within the app using the same method as is used by VocaLive or FilMic Pro. This is of course a must for anyone who wants to record say an interview on the iPhone.

I am sure there are a few more things that would be useful but these are the most urgent things to me.
Dave - Dave Knowles DOP/Editor

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/daveknowlesfilmmaker
Facebook: www.facebook.com/DaveKnowlesFilmmaker/
Instagram: www.instagram.com/daveknowlesfilmmaker/

Return to Cinematography