Camera 8.6 Beta Release Available

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 11:10 pm

Hi,

We’ve just released an 8.6 Beta software update for the Blackmagic Pocket Cameras and the Cinema Camera 6K. This release adds lots of new features to the cameras, especially networking support and the new media pool file browser. With the addition of networking support, we can now allow proxies and the original media to be uploaded to the Blackmagic Cloud. Pocket Camera 6Ks and Cinema Camera 6K now also support mobile phone tethering via USB-C so users can now connect to the Blackmagic Cloud even when out in the field.

Also included in the update is the ability to allow your cameras to be used as a webcam device via USB-C. This is a great feature as the camera can now be seen by any application that supports common UVC (USB Video Class) devices and used as a video source.

Please refer to the release notes for what's new.

leaoxp

Re: Camera 8.6 Beta Release Available

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

Hi, I have never used a beta version camera firmware ... does anyone has some experience on how "safe" is it? Anyway, if we wait we will have a final release with the same funcions I think, right? and would like to know if anyone using this beta had experienced some trouble with iris and IS in some lenses in pocket 6k pro and pocket 4k Thank you!

Alex Mitchell

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

Kristian Lam wrote:With the addition of networking support, we can now allow proxies and the original media to be uploaded to the Blackmagic Cloud.

Am I reading your post correctly: The BMPCC4K is getting internal Proxy recording? Or is that only for the BMCC6K?

leaoxp wrote:Hi, I have never used a beta version camera firmware ... does anyone has some experience on how "safe" is it?

The reason they're calling it a "beta" is because it's still in development. If you need your camera to be stable for work or other critical uses, wait for the final release version!

drewloewen

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

Are there any plans to add webcam features to the Micro studio cam or other studio cams?

Seems it would make sense for live-stream/studio cams to have that as well.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

Alex Mitchell wrote:Am I reading your post correctly: The BMPCC4K is getting internal Proxy recording? Or is that only for the BMCC6K?

Only the Cinema Camera 6K has proxy recording.

WahWay

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

Would like to have Anamorphic 1.5x

vivoices

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

This is great news, thank you.

I will only be able to update my Pocket 6Ks if this firmware version solves the iris control problem for Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 CF and other lenses.

Did anyone check for the iris control problem?
Udo Jansen

Win 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6.4, R9 5950X, 128 GB RAM, Quadro P4000 (8GB VRAM) 551.61 NSD, Intensity Pro 4K | Pocket6Ks FW7.9.1 | Speed Editor

Sean van Berlo

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

Is the direct to cloud uploading compatible with Android phones, or is it IOS exclusive? Might influence my new phone purchase haha.

SteveDGreen

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

I don't know about other lenses, but my Tokina 11-16 aperture does work now with the new beta

AdrianEddy

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

Any update on the Micro G2 gyro data timing issue?

xchrisx

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

confirmed usb tethering works on android phones too, wonderful!

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

- Adds clip deletion support.

do you mean that i can delete clips in camera? i can fragment my supports

sigh sigh end of an era...

paweltkaczyk

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

Did you test out the USB Webcam support yet? I updated my BMPCC 6k G2, connected it to my Mac via USB-C. The computer sees the camera (as Blackmagic Camera), but all I get is black screen. Am I doing something wrong?

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

As great as it is to now have Blackmagic Cloud Upload Support in the Pockets, those Pocket Cameras really need simultaneous Proxies made and the option to Upload Proxies over Camera Originals. I know you stated this is Cinema 6K only, but it's needed for the Pockets.

BRAW files get too large that it defeats the purpose of the Camera 2 Cloud when in the field. Especially on Cellular. Proxies are more suited for that purpose.

Since this is a Beta this is some feedback regarding how this is being integrated for the older models.

Otherwise everything else I've tested so far seems to be working great on the Pocket 6K Pro. Love the new Media Pool File Browser, and love having Clip Deletion.

Need to test that Camera Update via Ethernet feature. I don't have Ethernet to USB-C, but I do have Ethernet to Thunderbolt 2 and then Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3, so will test to see if daisy chaining those cables works to test the feature out. But I would love if Camera Update via Phone could also be a thing.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

SteveDGreen

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:- Adds clip deletion support.

do you mean that i can delete clips in camera? i can fragment my supports

sigh sigh end of an era...

Yep, there is a media browser now showing clips (also it shows clips with various frame rates, rather than only the ones the camera is set to), within that you can delete clips

SteveDGreen

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Looking at the new media browser - I wondered if it was possible to back up from one media storage to another within the camera itself?

I don't mean dual record (although that would be lovely), just a safety net?

Seems strange you can upload to the cloud, but not from one storage in the camera to another?

devinpickering

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

I currently work with the Ursa 12K as our A cam, and we own a p6k, 6kFF, and two p4k's. Will these features find their way into the Ursa's? Working with higher resolutions than the pockets it seems that proxy recording for the 12K is desperately needed, as well as the ability the delete clips on set.
Last edited by devinpickering on Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phillip Bergman

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

How long is this update suppose to take? lol. I'm currently about 20 minutes in and it's at 20 percent. It's going about a minute per percent. At this rate will take and hour and 40 minutes to update? Is this normal? Updates in the past have only taken a few minutes.....anyone else experiencing this?

SteveDGreen

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

Phillip Bergman wrote:How long is this update suppose to take? lol. I'm currently about 20 minutes in and it's at 20 percent. It's going about a minute per percent. At this rate will take and hour and 40 minutes to update? Is this normal? Updates in the past have only taken a few minutes.....anyone else experiencing this?

My 6KPro only took 5 minutes or so

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

Wow. This is excellent & most welcome. Thank-you Blackmagic!

I have one of the original Pocket 4K cameras, bought the first month they became available.

I backed-up my in-camera Presets to a spare SD card, did an in-camera factory reset, uninstalled Camera Setup 8.1 software from my M1 MacBook Pro running MacOS 14.4.1, installed the Camera Setup 8.6 beta software, connected the camera to my computer via a random USB-C cable, powered-on the camera, and allowed Camera Setup 8.6 to update the P4K. After doing the update, I calibrated the image sensor & the motion sensor, and imported my Presets. Took about 5 minutes.

The new camera firmware appears to work fine, including compatibility with my Presets from 8.1. I don't currently have a use for the new Cloud features (so haven't tested them), but so far, "normal" camera features appear to work as expected. The new playback features are great, especially the ability to play clips recorded using settings different from the camera's current recording format! I look forward to testing the new webcam feature next.

EDIT: I played with the USB webcam feature a bit (it's in the 2nd page of the Setup menu). Via USB, the output from my Pocket 4K camera was 1080p (regardless of the camera's recording format settings) when used with VLC, Zoom and FaceTime. In FT the image is flipped left-to-right (FT doesn't have a setting to compensate for this), whereas in VLC & Zoom the image is correct. On my computer the frame/refresh rate was slow in all 3 apps; it looked like about 15-20fps. I don't know if on a faster computer or using a different USB-C cable if the frame/refresh rate can be faster. The audio is stereo.

Cheers.
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xchrisx

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

I still cannot believe viewing taken images is not possible in camera lol.
maybe in 2025..

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

xchrisx wrote:I still cannot believe viewing taken images is not possible in camera lol.
maybe in 2025..

True that, but for how I use my camera I find using a time-lapse Preset is more useful.

WahWay

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm

Viewing clips regardless of camera settings and able to delete clips, for any consumer camera this is taken for granted. If someone told me in 2012 when BMD released its first camera that it will be well into 2024 before BMD introduce that ability I will say he is pulling my leg. We got so use to BMD cameras not able to do these most basic things.

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Tested the Use as Webcam feature through USB and it works. Only issue is doing Log and no autofocus. Sadly Sony updated my A7IV to have the same feature last night as well. So I think I’d use my Sony A7IV with Autofocus for a webcam first over the Pocket. But nice that this feature now exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 pm

timbutt2 wrote:As great as it is to now have Blackmagic Cloud Upload Support in the Pockets, those Pocket Cameras really need simultaneous Proxies made and the option to Upload Proxies over Camera Originals.

Sorry, not possible on the older hardware.

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:As great as it is to now have Blackmagic Cloud Upload Support in the Pockets, those Pocket Cameras really need simultaneous Proxies made and the option to Upload Proxies over Camera Originals.

That's a pity to hear.

Well, then I'm especially looking forward to NAB and the next generation URSA Line of cameras. CFExpress in that USA Mini Pro body with a Full Frame Sensor capable of up to 120 FPS Open Gate, with simultaneous proxies that can be uploaded to Blackmagic Cloud... Oh... My mouth is watering at the thought. Gonna have to pick my jaw up off the floor should that be released at NAB.

adametheridge

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

Please can we add more anamorphic ration options?

Phil999

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 11:19 am

timbutt2 wrote:Tested the Use as Webcam feature through USB and it works. Only issue is doing Log and no autofocus.

you can enable LUT for HDMI, this will also apply to the signal over USB.

Good to hear that tethering with Android phone is working. With my Blackview BV8800 it doesn't work. The 'sharing internet over USB' setting is lit (no more greyed out) when connecting a USB C cable to the Pocket 4k, but the switch cannot be enabled. Doing the same with a PC, the switch can be enabled, and internet access is working. Which leads to the question: in what state must the camera be to trigger the phone to 'see' an attached computer/device? In playback mode, or in setup time adjustment? Or does it not matter in what state the camera is?

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 11:53 am

I would love to be able to stack frame guides or import custom guides.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:

Not possible simultaneus, but in a second time?

i ask if i can ask to camera later to read and build a proxy file, i stop to shooting, i drive car to came back to base and in the mean time camera build proxy.
i know, i can connect card/usb disk to a notebook and use bmd proxy app, but this is just i do every day, i would like to see in camera, if it's possible :-D

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Image
Tested the Use as Webcam feature through USB and it works. Only issue is doing Log and no autofocus. Sadly Sony updated my A7IV to have the same feature last night as well. So I think I’d use my Sony A7IV with Autofocus for a webcam first over the Pocket. But nice that this feature now exists.

you should choose to work in video mode.
usually we can work in film mode and lut preview give us rec709 picture, to work directly you should setup camera in video mode.
I tested yesterday.
anyway, this a good thing for who use some times a single cam, like me, that actually i had atem mini pro for some on line teaching where i use four cam, but often i use a single cam and it's a bit too much had atem, cam etc...
Last edited by carlomacchiavello on Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 pm

WahWay wrote:Viewing clips regardless of camera settings and able to delete clips, for any consumer camera this is taken for granted. If someone told me in 2012 when BMD released its first camera that it will be well into 2024 before BMD introduce that ability I will say he is pulling my leg. We got so use to BMD cameras not able to do these most basic things.

you are right, but consumer camera not need so fast support and not risk to ruin a shooting due the support fragmentation.
And if you know people... you will can predict how many people fill the forum about a request to recover deleted clips for error...
anyway, may life mantra is never delete anything in camera, from the tape time, never from photo, never in video, you have ever time later, the support space is ones of my investment along tripds and lenses.

like you i'm so happy to see every kind of clips with new browser, too often if you shoot, change for hfr or other compression and remember the key value to see al clips was a pain.

SteveDGreen

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 pm

I'm delighted with the new browser, it was a bit of a chore reviewing clips in other formats before

Likewise, I'm not sure I'd delete clips (you never know what you can salvage) but it's nice for those who want it.

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 pm

With Networking with USB being added, are USB hubs supported now?

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 pm

AdrianEddy wrote:Any update on the Micro G2 gyro data timing issue?

What issue?

AdrianEddy

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:

What issue?

Gyro stabilization in Resolve with videos coming from Micro G2 doesn't work.

There's a difference in gyro timing between all other BM cameras and Micro G2. You can make it work in Gyroflow but it requires adding manual sync points (unlike any other BM cameras, where the timing is accurate)

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 pm

SteveDGreen wrote:I'm delighted with the new browser, it was a bit of a chore reviewing clips in other formats before

Likewise, I'm not sure I'd delete clips (you never know what you can salvage) but it's nice for those who want it.
Agreed. I generally don’t delete. But there are times when a false take is good to delete. Too often I have directors call for cameras to roll and then start giving notes to actors and then go on forever and we need to cut. So that will be nice to be able to delete.

However, that’s one more reason I want people to learn on film. Then they learn that rolling cameras should only happen when ready for a take. Then cutting in between. None of that “just keep rolling” crap that too many do these days. With film you waste film and money doing that. People need that film discipline.

mark.sze

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 pm

Fantastic changes and glad my 4K and 6K OG are included!

Can I ask where I can find out details about the REST control API that is now supported? Will the 4K/6K manual be updated when the firmware is finalised? I can see the URSA Broadcast G2 manual has that covered.

WahWay

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 9:34 pm

BMPCC4K clip selection playback don't seem to work and keeps starting on the same clip if I have both the Cfast and SD cards in the camera.

leaoxp

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 am

xchrisx wrote:I still cannot believe viewing taken images is not possible in camera lol.
maybe in 2025..

Really I can´t understand it lol I would love if someone from Blackmagic could tell us the reason for don´t be able to see the frames we took in the camera :( because of that, for me that little photo button serves for nothing... of course I would not do professional photography with pocket camera, but we could take some good shots for web or making of...

jmalmsten

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 8:59 am

I am intrigued abou the network features. But a bit confused about how I am supposed to access the camera. While connected with usb to my win10 computer, I see the camera in the app update software, I can get the webcam feature working just fine. But the URLs shown in the settings pages are not accessible.

Looking through the replies here, it seems that it's limited to USB ethernet connectivity. So. I guess I need to add a hub on it to break out a network cable? No wifi hardware hiding in there? And I see users mention tethering via phones. Sounds neat for field work and would fix lack of wifi. I have old phones I can hook up to it or maybe a little rPi thing can be built.

But. There's only one USB port on my BMPCC6KG2. And it is pretty much permanently hooked to a ssd holder as CFast cards are so crazy expensive still. Can I use hubs to break it out? Heck. Now, I do want a Blackmagic Break out Box that gives wifi connectivity to the camera while still allowing USB recording to external ssd.

Also. If it can do a webcam feed and have these networking things. Does that mean that with it connected to my network, I can remote in and see a live feed and control the camera using one of rhose URLs?. The mind boggles with the possibilities here. And as it would be a webpage, that means it's not limited to iPhone users?

Ed_Mantle

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 12:55 pm

Haven't been able to get any networking/cloud stuff functioning yet (PCC6K pro - am sure it's not just me. Is there any kind of walkthrough guide/whitepaper somewhere?) but am enjoying using atlas anamorphics for my webcam :P

devinpickering

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 4:18 pm

Sad to see no new features or firmware for BM's flagship/most expensive cameras, the Ursa's, especially the Ursa 12K. Feels so odd that the lower line is getting new features while the 12K is getting nothing.

canislupus

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 4:52 pm

I do not see in way to upload clips directly to Resolve as stated.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 8:13 pm

devinpickering wrote:Sad to see no new features or firmware for BM's flagship/most expensive cameras, the Ursa's, especially the Ursa 12K. Feels so odd that the lower line is getting new features while the 12K is getting nothing.

Just a wishful guess: NAB Expo 2024 starts in a few weeks. Maybe new features/firmware/documentation/products are being kept under wraps until announcements at the show? Or not.

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 10:38 am

It would also great if EL Zones can added.

Michael Kropfberger

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 1:43 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:

What issue?

I also tried a lot to get the BMMSC 4K G2 work with gyro stabilization... directly in Resolve or also via gyroflow, with catastrophic results... I also heard rumors that there is a bug in how gyro data is stored...

if someone knows things on that, also feel free to feed the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=190223

regards,
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 8:24 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
devinpickering wrote:Sad to see no new features or firmware for BM's flagship/most expensive cameras, the Ursa's, especially the Ursa 12K. Feels so odd that the lower line is getting new features while the 12K is getting nothing.

Just a wishful guess: NAB Expo 2024 starts in a few weeks. Maybe new features/firmware/documentation/products are being kept under wraps until announcements at the show? Or not.

I definitely think the updated manuals for these new 8.6 features are being held off until official release.

Side note, I couldn't get the Ethernet connection to work. Not sure if it was because I was going from Modem to Ethernet to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter into Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter and that was causing the problem. But this is the one "new feature" I have not been able to properly test.

Otherwise, the new features are great and work well. My only issue with the Pockets getting Cloud Upload is the lack of proxies since uploading BRAW in the field is unreasonable on terrible cellular upload speeds.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:18 am

I also tried the Apple Ethernet to Thunderbolt 2 > 3 adapter and couldn't get it to work. However, the Asustor AS-U2.5G USB-C Ethernet adapter does work.

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 am

Michael Kropfberger wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:

What issue?

I also tried a lot to get the BMMSC 4K G2 work with gyro stabilization... directly in Resolve or also via gyroflow, with catastrophic results... I also heard rumors that there is a bug in how gyro data is stored...

if someone knows things on that, also feel free to feed the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=190223

regards,
Mike

That was fixed with the Resolve update.

Software Update - 07 Feb 2024
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 Update
This software update adds support for Blackmagic RAW 3.6.1 and Sony Burano files, as well as the ability to import and export compound clips and clip markers in Open TimelineIO. DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 also adds AI stabilization for Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K and Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 footage, better EXR file labeling and improved shortcut functionality for multiple clip selections. This version requires a DaVinci Resolve Studio license dongle or software activation code.
Next

Return to Cinematography