Camera 8.6 Beta Release Available

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AdrianEddy

Re: Camera 8.6 Beta Release Available

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 3:49 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:That was fixed with the Resolve update.

Software Update - 07 Feb 2024
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 Update
This software update adds support for Blackmagic RAW 3.6.1 and Sony Burano files, as well as the ability to import and export compound clips and clip markers in Open TimelineIO. DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 also adds AI stabilization for Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K and Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 footage, better EXR file labeling and improved shortcut functionality for multiple clip selections. This version requires a DaVinci Resolve Studio license dongle or software activation code.

No, it's definitely not fixed. I just tried it with 18.6.6 and it still doesn't work.

The timing metadata in BRAW file is clearly different from what other BM cameras write, so it's definitely a firmware issue, not Resolve issue

There's about 30-40ms timing difference, which breaks the stabilization

rNeil H

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 3:56 am

Apparently the Webcam usage with BMPCC4K works correctly ... ?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Viktor Laga

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 12:03 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I also tried the Apple Ethernet to Thunderbolt 2 > 3 adapter and couldn't get it to work. However, the Asustor AS-U2.5G USB-C Ethernet adapter does work.

Looks like the Ethernet side needs very specific hardware (chipset).

For me, the HyperDrive DUO PRO (with builtin Ethernet) works, while the Uni USB-C Hub ( 4 in 1 ) [3xUSB + 1xEthernet] does not work.

Michael Kropfberger

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 12:11 pm

Viktor Laga wrote: while the Uni USB-C Hub ( 4 in 1 ) [3xUSB + 1xEthernet] does not work.

...and exactly this UNI usb-c + Ethernet is what I happened to buy as well, and it does work perfectly with the BMMSC4KG2 and I also failed on the BMPCC4k with this new firmware... that's a pity..
why would the same company have different firmware implementations on usb-c network adapters... hmm.. strange, but true...

regards
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

dexter_ck

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 1:23 pm

Belkin USB-c to ethernet works fine, both on ursa broadcast g2 and pocket 6k.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

roger.magnusson

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:05 pm

Viktor Laga wrote:
roger.magnusson wrote:I also tried the Apple Ethernet to Thunderbolt 2 > 3 adapter and couldn't get it to work. However, the Asustor AS-U2.5G USB-C Ethernet adapter does work.

Looks like the Ethernet side needs very specific hardware (chipset).

I assume the issue in this case is that the adapter is a Thunderbolt device and the pockets are not.

RRRoger

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
Alex Mitchell wrote:Am I reading your post correctly: The BMPCC4K is getting internal Proxy recording? Or is that only for the BMCC6K?

Only the Cinema Camera 6K has proxy recording.

Finally a reason to get a 6k version instead of 4k for LiveStreaming?
There are tons of dirt cheap used BM 6k pocket cameras on eBay because the 4k has been better for workflow.

dexter_ck

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:21 pm

RRRoger wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:
Alex Mitchell wrote:Am I reading your post correctly: The BMPCC4K is getting internal Proxy recording? Or is that only for the BMCC6K?

Only the Cinema Camera 6K has proxy recording.

Finally a reason to get a 6k version instead of 4k for LiveStreaming?
There are tons of dirt cheap used BM 6k pocket cameras on eBay because the 4k has been better for workflow.
Only BMCC6k have proxies, not Pocket 6k

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

RRRoger

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:25 pm

Does 8.6 beta allow camera control thru HDMI for the micro Studio Camera first version?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:45 pm

RRRoger wrote:Does 8.6 beta allow camera control thru HDMI for the micro Studio Camera first version?

Unlikely. From the ReadMe file posted on the Support page:

"... What's new in Blackmagic Camera 8.6
The following models have new features:

Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Pocket Cinema Camera 6K
Pocket Cinema Camera 6K G2
Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro
Cinema Camera 6K
..."

No other cameras are listed. You can try to install it, but I don't know if it'll work. Can revert to previous version if no joy.

opticalflow

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 4:48 pm

Hi guys,

I understand this is still in beta but just let you guys know I was getting heavy drop-frame warnings while I was filming on Easter Sunday. My setup is Pocket 4K with a CFast card. I've had any issues before though.
Thank you.

Mihail Dragnea

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 6:03 pm

With Camera 8.6 (Beta) installed, I tried the to use Blackmagic Pocket 4K as a webcam for Google Meet.
It worked with one cable, it did not work with other cables. Seems to me the cable was the problem.
Using Function buttons, camera sends and Meet displays LUT and false colour.
BMP4K as webcam.jpg
BMP4K as webcam.jpg (256.8 KiB) Viewed 14043 times

My own Productions

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 1:47 am

timbutt2 wrote:As great as it is to now have Blackmagic Cloud Upload Support in the Pockets, those Pocket Cameras really need simultaneous Proxies made and the option to Upload Proxies over Camera Originals. I know you stated this is Cinema 6K only, but it's needed for the Pockets.

BRAW files get too large that it defeats the purpose of the Camera 2 Cloud when in the field. Especially on Cellular. Proxies are more suited for that purpose.

Since this is a Beta this is some feedback regarding how this is being integrated for the older models.

Otherwise everything else I've tested so far seems to be working great on the Pocket 6K Pro. Love the new Media Pool File Browser, and love having Clip Deletion.

Need to test that Camera Update via Ethernet feature. I don't have Ethernet to USB-C, but I do have Ethernet to Thunderbolt 2 and then Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3, so will test to see if daisy chaining those cables works to test the feature out. But I would love if Camera Update via Phone could also be a thing.

So I tried out Ethernet today on my 6K Pro and it worked with my Amazon USBC dongle but only went 1MBps. Cellular on my Pixel Fold and my S24 Ultra both were faster but that is most likely the dongle rather than the internet connection. My biggest issue however is that my phones will constantly lose and regain connection via USBC. I had a time-lapse that was 1 minute and a 1 minute video I attempted to upload and it sat with my phone connected for around 6 hours and no upload.

SteveDGreen

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 am

I've had the same loss of tethering on a 6KPro - I even bought a new cable but it was the same - I wondered if it was the USB-C on the camera or the lightning connector on the phone - I guess it could be a bug if others are seeing loss of connection

(without proxies it's not really practical, but would be interesting to know - don't seem to have problems charging via the lightning, and the USB-C was fine for the camera update)

CUBuffskier

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 9:42 am

I’m testing with a bmpcc4k to blackmagic cloud.

The braw gets to the cloud and back to my local storage location. However files don’t populate in resolve. Maybe the project is looking for proxies first?

Cloud folders are fine it’s just resolve isn’t getting the files automatically in a bin.

Something appears to be broken with this workflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chadwick Shoults
CreativeVideoTips.com

Resolve Studio 18.0.1 Build3
Apple M1 Max Macbook Pro, 64GB RAM, 24 Core GPU, 2TB SSD, 24" LG Ultrafine, 3G Ultrastudio, Speed Editor

My own Productions

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 12:58 pm

CUBuffskier wrote:I’m testing with a bmpcc4k to blackmagic cloud.

The braw gets to the cloud and back to my local storage location. However files don’t populate in resolve. Maybe the project is looking for proxies first?

Cloud folders are fine it’s just resolve isn’t getting the files automatically in a bin.

I think you are having the same issue I did at first. Are the files going to the cloud storage (would be something like First name Storage) or did you setup a new cloud project that the files are going to?

ShaheedMalik

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 3:33 pm

CUBuffskier wrote:I’m testing with a bmpcc4k to blackmagic cloud.

Did you drop a video on this feature yet?

CUBuffskier

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 4:36 pm

Yep - I setup a project first on the computer, and connected my camera to it after, wired into my ethernet.

What is odd is resolve seems to even know to pull the file back down from the cloud to the computer, it just never gets put in my project.

The phone app doesn't have the same issue for me at the moment.

I might put a video out after I understand it better, or its fully working. If this is part of the beta that is understandable.
Chadwick Shoults
CreativeVideoTips.com

Resolve Studio 18.0.1 Build3
Apple M1 Max Macbook Pro, 64GB RAM, 24 Core GPU, 2TB SSD, 24" LG Ultrafine, 3G Ultrastudio, Speed Editor

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:59 am

Phillip Bergman wrote:How long is this update suppose to take? lol. I'm currently about 20 minutes in and it's at 20 percent. It's going about a minute per percent. At this rate will take and hour and 40 minutes to update? Is this normal? Updates in the past have only taken a few minutes.....anyone else experiencing this?

Me too. Wondering if its the same for everyone else. So far, I couldnt update it. It failed several times halfway
Ulysses Paiva

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 7:29 am

Ulysses Paiva wrote:
Phillip Bergman wrote:How long is this update suppose to take? lol. I'm currently about 20 minutes in and it's at 20 percent. It's going about a minute per percent. At this rate will take and hour and 40 minutes to update? Is this normal? Updates in the past have only taken a few minutes.....anyone else experiencing this?

Me too. Wondering if its the same for everyone else. So far, I couldnt update it. It failed several times halfway

check the usb cable, replace it with one better
to me on old computer 2019 take less than 1 minute.

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 12:40 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Ulysses Paiva wrote:

check the usb cable, replace it with one better
to me on old computer 2019 take less than 1 minute.

Of course I did that. Changed cables, USB ports and everything else. Used the same high quality cables I use everyday to transfer large files at high speeds. I ended up managing to update but took like over half an hour. Past 50% it goes fast
Ulysses Paiva

My own Productions

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 12:46 pm

CUBuffskier wrote:Yep - I setup a project first on the computer, and connected my camera to it after, wired into my ethernet.

What is odd is resolve seems to even know to pull the file back down from the cloud to the computer, it just never gets put in my project.

I might put a video out after I understand it better, or its fully working. If this is part of the beta that is understandable.

Ah, I did not do the project at first and was trying to figure out how to connect it. Currently, my issue is that my phone will drop and reconnect with the camera and upload nothing. I am using Android and tried it with 2 phones and multiple cables. I did get a 5-second clip to work but a minute-long clip will not upload. As you said, this is beta, so there will be issues with these new features.

WahWay

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 8:39 pm

Curious why Blackmagic release a beta firmware for their cameras? Cant remember last time that happen.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 9:17 pm

They've done it a couple of times for the broadcast cameras. For the Cinema line I know v4 had a beta, the first version of the then new UI. There was also a Pocket beta a few years ago, when there were issues with lenses that didn't work properly.

WahWay

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 10:41 pm

They released firmware that had flaws and quickly updated it to correct the problem. Just cant recall they had a firmware with the "beta" tag.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 11:48 pm

AdrianEddy wrote:
No, it's definitely not fixed. I just tried it with 18.6.6 and it still doesn't work.

The timing metadata in BRAW file is clearly different from what other BM cameras write, so it's definitely a firmware issue, not Resolve issue

This will require a software update on the Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 too. We're aware of this.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 11:50 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:Is the direct to cloud uploading compatible with Android phones, or is it IOS exclusive? Might influence my new phone purchase haha.

As long as your phone supports tethering, it should work.

timbutt2

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 11:51 pm

WahWay wrote:Curious why Blackmagic release a beta firmware for their cameras? Cant remember last time that happen.

Well V4 was Beta in 2016. Then in 2018 BRAW was introduced as a Beta Firmware update. There's been a few other times.

They definitely did this as a Beta to get input and work out kinks. My biggest issue so far is that if I'm going to use Cloud Upload from the Camera it will be the Proxies in the field and reconnect BRAW later. Otherwise, BRAW is too big to do over Cellular. So without simultaneous proxies on the Pockets the Cloud feature won't have a place in my workflow. But that does help sell me on an eventual upgrade to a newer camera.

When that happens I can't say. Maybe NAB they release the camera I really want,
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 2:14 am

AdrianEddy wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:That was fixed with the Resolve update.

Software Update - 07 Feb 2024
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 Update
This software update adds support for Blackmagic RAW 3.6.1 and Sony Burano files, as well as the ability to import and export compound clips and clip markers in Open TimelineIO. DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 also adds AI stabilization for Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K and Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 footage, better EXR file labeling and improved shortcut functionality for multiple clip selections. This version requires a DaVinci Resolve Studio license dongle or software activation code.

Oooh. Got it admittedly I haven't dove much yet with mine yet when it comes to the stabilization. I think I am going hold off my car shoots until it's fixed.

Michael Kropfberger

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 4:58 am

Gyro stabilization:
Kristian Lam wrote:This will require a software update on the Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 too. We're aware of this.

and this is why I love blackmagic... our huge spam threads are read and taken care of... Thank you!!!
regards
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

Viktor Laga

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 9:16 am

dexter_ck wrote:Belkin USB-c to ethernet works fine, both on ursa broadcast g2 and pocket 6k.

I ordered the Amazon USB-C Ethernet dongle „ AmazonBasics USB 3.1 Type-C to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter with Aluminum Housing“ (ASIN: B08989MYQ2), which works fine for my Pocket4K.

Michael Kropfberger

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 10:18 am

Viktor Laga wrote:
I ordered the Amazon USB-C Ethernet dongle „ AmazonBasics USB 3.1 Type-C to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter with Aluminum Housing“ (ASIN: B08989MYQ2), which works fine for my Pocket4K.

ok, but this is only ethernet... no usb, so no ssd for recording in parallel

ksilva

No Option to Select BMPCC 4K as Webcam!?

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 7:34 pm

The update to 8.6 went well with my Pocket 4K. I'm able to connect to my computer and access the files in the internal card. However, when I open a program that uses a camera, the BMPCC 4K is not an option.
I tried in both my M1 Mac and desktop intel Mac and the issue is the same. I tried Photo, Booth and Facebook livestream.
Am I doing anything wrong, if not I'm assuming this is a bug. If so, how do I report it and what is the fix?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: No Option to Select BMPCC 4K as Webcam!?

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 12:14 am

ksilva wrote:The update to 8.6 went well with my Pocket 4K. I'm able to connect to my computer and access the files in the internal card. However, when I open a program that uses a camera, the BMPCC 4K is not an option.
I tried in both my M1 Mac and desktop intel Mac and the issue is the same. I tried Photo, Booth and Facebook livestream.
Am I doing anything wrong, if not I'm assuming this is a bug. If so, how do I report it and what is the fix?

Did you enable the Webcam feature in the SETUP menu?

Pavel Lavrov

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 12:27 am

Webcam feature works directly for me, did anyone got it to work through USB Hub? (to be able to use networking and recording to SSD..)
Pavel L

ksilva

Re: No Option to Select BMPCC 4K as Webcam!?

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 12:06 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
ksilva wrote:The update to 8.6 went well with my Pocket 4K. I'm able to connect to my computer and access the files in the internal card. However, when I open a program that uses a camera, the BMPCC 4K is not an option.

Did you enable the Webcam feature in the SETUP menu?

Oh duh, lol. Perfect! I didnt notice that option. Got it working now.
Thank you!

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 7:10 pm

Conducted a test of putting the camera up high in a position it was difficult to monitor. Kept hitting the record button while trying to place it in position. So it was very nice having the clip deletion feature as I was able to delete the clips of me putting the camera into position.

No issues at all. Then I tested using the Camera via USB-C to computer for importing the media direct off the camera and it worked perfectly. I'm really liking this update. Very useful new features.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jonas Bengtson

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:13 pm

mark.sze wrote:Can I ask where I can find out details about the REST control API that is now supported? Will the 4K/6K manual be updated when the firmware is finalised? I can see the URSA Broadcast G2 manual has that covered.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... ontrol.pdf

seems to be here

oniongarlic

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 7:06 am

Oh, this is excellent. Webcam works, ethernet connection works with my USB hub/ethernet dongle, USB storage works with the USB hub, samba connection works nicely from Linux (~60Mb/sec) as does ftp (even faster 98Mb/sec) and a quick autofocus REST API test works too.
Very nice.

Seems my next project will be to write a Qt library for the REST API and add that as an option to my remote control app :geek:
Check out my free and open software:
CutePocketRemote - https://www.tal.org/projects/cutepocketremote
CuteAtum - https://www.tal.org/projects/cuteatum

roger.magnusson

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 7:57 am

Which USB hub are you using?

I've been trying the websocket functionality over Ethernet, works really well.

Planning a plugin for Resolve/Fusion.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:22 am

I was hoping that the latest BMPCC 6K firmware will be release by NAB. So when is 8.6 going to be out of beta and in G.A.?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Omar Mohammad

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 9:24 am

Has anyone with BMCC6K-FF tried the updated? I'm a bit reluctant doing so being beta release.
MacBook M3 Pro 16”, 18 GPU cores, 36GB RAM, 1TB | Sonoma 14.4
BMCC6K-FF | Sigma 12-24 f4 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Sigma MC-21 Adaptor
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6

Michael Kropfberger

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:06 am

I tried to install the camera software 8.6b1 on two computers, but on both, it is missing a "Camera_Installer_n.nn.msi" file and cant continue...any ideas?

roger.magnusson

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:38 am

Did you unzip the file or did you just start the executable inside the zip file? If you don't unzip all of it first it won't be able to find the msi.

The reason BMD have started splitting up the files in several of their installers is that the files have grown larger than 2GB. On some compilers/systems that won't work, so they're now using a small executable that runs the other stuff.

UserOS

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:10 pm

After the update, communication with DJI RS2 via USB-C cable does not work. Please fix it.
Ryzen 9 5950X / MSI RTX 4090 Liquid X / DDR4 64Gb / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Gb / Windows 11 Pro 23H2 / BMPCC 4K

PCM_81

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:25 pm

There is a super simple yet very important function that could be implemented.
Please let us control menu navigation with the front dial. Rotate to navigate through items, press to toggle or activate, scroll to change values.
The touchscreen on my P6K is starting to fail and this would be a very useful thing to have,

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 7:29 am

CUBuffskier wrote:Yep - I setup a project first on the computer, and connected my camera to it after, wired into my ethernet.

Hey, ok we know what's going on. This is an issue on our part and we're working on a fix for it.

Filip27

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 1:37 pm

For the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K (BMPCC4K): what resolution and frame rate will be supported over USB-C UVC for using it as a webcam? The camera is limited to 1080p60 over HDMI, but will it be able to do 2160p60 (4K 60 FPS) over USB-C webcam link on macOS?

Filip27

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 1:40 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Via USB, the output from my Pocket 4K camera was 1080p (regardless of the camera's recording format settings) when used with VLC, Zoom and FaceTime.

Really? Still only 1080p output from the BMPCC4K? I was hoping this would give the camera the ability to output 4K60 over USB-C, what a shame!

jb.deberlhe

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 8:01 pm

UserOS wrote:After the update, communication with DJI RS2 via USB-C cable does not work. Please fix it.

I'm having the same issue with Feiyutech's Scorp Pro gimbal.

Also, tethering does not work for me with iPhone 11 and 15 models. No problem with 1st generation iPhone SE models.

Tested on BMPCC4K.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography