best gimbal 2024 for bmpcc4k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ale211734

best gimbal 2024 for bmpcc4k

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

Good evening, I have a BMPCC4K with the setup attached. Currently, I have a flycam, but I'm considering switching to a gimbal that is easier to use and preferably capable of controlling focus and powering the camera. What are the best gimbals of 2024 that can support my configuration?
Attachments
bmpcc4k.jpeg
bmpcc4k.jpeg (218.15 KiB) Viewed 2384 times

robedge

Re: best gimbal 2024 for bmpcc4k

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

You may find it useful to read this current thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=198171
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

ale211734

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 am

It seems to me that the DJI RS3 gimbal doesn't work well with the Blackmagic 4K. I also have the cage. The RS3 Pro Combo is too expensive for my budget. Is there something cheaper yet still valid as an alternative?

Phil999

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 11:46 am

Tilta and Smallrig have rings that are very beneficial to the Dji RS3 Pro and a Flycam. Both rings include remote controls for the RS3 Pro. Which then also controls the Pocket 4k. All connections are via Bluetooth.

For a cheaper option (with limited or no remote control, without rings and Flycam integration) there are very good smaller gimbals from Moza or Zhyiun. However, holding a gimbal while maintaining the perfect framing and focus is a great challenge. It needs a lot of training. One tends to concentrate on framing and focussing, while losing a bit of the entire feel and motion of the camera movement. It is possible, but very demanding and tiring.

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 pm

ale211734 wrote:Is there something cheaper yet still valid as an alternative?

"Excited to be able to purchase this and finally be able to use Blackmagic Pocket 4k without the need of any extra counter weights. Solid and smooth so far!"

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... lizer.html
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ale211734

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 9:32 am

Jim Simon wrote:
ale211734 wrote:Is there something cheaper yet still valid as an alternative?

"Excited to be able to purchase this and finally be able to use Blackmagic Pocket 4k without the need of any extra counter weights. Solid and smooth so far!"

Does this gimbal have space to accommodate the Blackmagic with the cage? How do you use autofocus with the gimbal?

John Paines

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:03 pm

Have you tried the Flycam vest?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _vest.html

It's suspiciously cheap, but if it works should produce better results than a gimbal. And gimbals are a whole lot of work (and exhausting to use), if you expect to be any good at it. The vest, on the other hand, should take care of the bobbing you see on gimbals and leaves your hands free.

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:33 pm

Or still inexpensive at double the price for double the capacity (10 kg load) for the Flycam Galaxy Arm and Vest Stabilizer:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... m_and.html
Rick Lang

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:46 pm

ale211734 wrote:Does this gimbal have space to accommodate the Blackmagic with the cage?
Don't know. My guess is no. I've only ever seen folks using it without.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:47 pm

ale211734 wrote:How do you use autofocus with the gimbal?
You don't autofocus. On a tripod, monopod, slider, gimbal...

You don't autofocus.

(My thinking, anyway.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

robedge

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 5:19 pm

John Paines wrote:Have you tried the Flycam vest?

It's suspiciously cheap, but if it works should produce better results than a gimbal. And gimbals are a whole lot of work (and exhausting to use), if you expect to be any good at it. The vest, on the other hand, should take care of the bobbing you see on gimbals and leaves your hands free.

From the first post of this thread:

Currently, I have a flycam, but I'm considering switching to a gimbal that is easier to use and preferably capable of controlling focus and powering the camera.

John Paines

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 5:26 pm

robedge wrote:
John Paines wrote:Have you tried the Flycam vest?

From the first post:

Currently, I have a flycam, but I'm considering switching to a gimbal that is easier to use and preferably capable of controlling focus and powering the camera.

I'm not sure what your point is. I've used both systems, which is why I made the suggestion. Unlikely to get reliable focus on a gimbal anyway, and power won't be much help if the gimbal is all but impossible to use for any length of time. The OP does not appear to be familiar with gimbals. That probably includes others here as well.

robedge

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 6:05 pm

John Paines wrote:
robedge wrote:
John Paines wrote:Have you tried the Flycam vest? ...

From the first post:

Currently, I have a flycam, but I'm considering switching to a gimbal...

I'm not sure what your point is...

Okey doke :)

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 6:23 pm

I’ll continue to watch this thread as I’ve never used a gimbal nor a vest and arm. My client projects to date haven’t required this approach, but I’d like to make use of this information for a potential future project later this year. Being ‘familiar’ with some other manufacturers’ vests, arms, gimbals, etc, those approaches mean a sizeable investment for me, but the items mentioned here will be more affordable components. I need to do more research the best combination for mobility of the BMPCC4K beyond simply using a gimbal that has limitations. This thread hopefully will continue to be a good starting place.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 6:40 pm

rick.lang wrote:I’ll continue to watch this thread as I’ve never used a gimbal nor a vest and arm...

I think that the key thing is to recognize that current gimbals and the Steadicam (and its poor man knockoffs) do different things. Skilled gimbal users are not trying to achieve a Steadicam look, and they can do things with their gimbal that a Steadicam isn’t capable of. And vice versa.

This comes through very clearly in some of Brandon Li’s videos. I think that it’s a good idea to watch his videos, or those of someone equally skilled, and ask “Is that what I want to achieve?”, not “Does that look like Steadicam footage?”.
Last edited by robedge on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 6:46 pm

Thanks, will view those sources shortly.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 6:53 pm

rick.lang wrote:Thanks, will view those sources shortly.

I think it’s also important to be aware of the fact that some of what you’re seeing is the result of operator movement and some of it is the result of what the operator programmed. If one really wants to know what’s going on, I think one should read the manual for whatever gimbal the operator uses.

If I wanted to get into using a gimbal in a serious way, I’d choose the gimbal, read the manual and hire a proficient user of that gimbal for at least half a day just to start.
Last edited by robedge on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

John Paines

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 6:53 pm

robedge wrote:
rick.lang wrote:I’ll continue to watch this thread as I’ve never used a gimbal nor a vest and arm...

I think that the key thing is to recognize that current gimbals and the Steadicam (and its poor man knockoffs) do different things. Skilled gimbal users are not trying to achieve a Steadicam look, and they can do things with their gimbal that a Steadicam isn’t capable of. And vice versa.

This comes through very clearly in some of Brandon Li’s videos.

Ah, another youtuber. One should have guessed that was behind it all.

Apart from the rare filmmaker you or this Brandon Li know who exploit the deficiencies of gimbals to new aesthetic heights, any competent operator will tell you which one he prefers. Guess which? Those making robocop POV movies may feel differently, but they're a small minority.

John Paines

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:01 pm

robedge wrote:I think it’s also important to be aware the fact that some of what you’re seeing is the result of operator movement and some of it is the result of what the operator programmed. If one really wants to know what’s going on, I think one should read the manual for whatever gimbal the operator uses.

There actually are standards for camera movement. Inquiring into "what the operator programmed" or reading the manual will not be necessary to note defects and shortcomings of either the operator or the technology.

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:11 pm

John Paines wrote:… any competent operator will tell you which one he prefers. Guess which?

No argument about the best professional solution, (or the best operator probably) but that’s just as out of reach as an ARRI for me. The title of this thread does specify “best” but I think most replies are more about “best budget gear that I can manage and do an acceptable job within limits.”
Rick Lang

John Paines

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:38 pm

rick.lang wrote:No argument about the best professional solution, (or the best operator probably) but that’s just as out of reach as an ARRI for me. The title of this thread does specify “best” but I think most replies are more about “best budget gear that I can manage and do an acceptable job within limits.”

Which is what makes the flycam vest/arm, if they actually work, interesting. As I remember, there's also (or was) a vest/arm for Steadicam Jr., but much pricier. I recall Flycams/glidecams having a disturbing "floating" fx, but that was a long time ago.

The other consideration here is that trends today go in the opposite direction -- to hand-held. Consider the volume of high-end dramatic material shot today largely from the shoulder, even period dramas. Or "Breaking Bad".

Like drones, gimbals can read like a technology in search of a rationale. If you really need it, then maybe you need the real thing...
Last edited by John Paines on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robedge

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:42 pm

Freefly: https://freeflysystems.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freefly_Systems

Lord knows how a straightforward question about gimbals has turned into pretending that Freefly’s MoVI didn’t happen 11 years ago :)

Austin Reza (https://www.reza.la):

Intelligent Details: Behind The Scenes

The best-known of the series (watch past the brief break):

Omar Mohammad

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 8:57 pm

As for charging your camera, you would need this cable.

IMG_7815.jpeg
IMG_7815.jpeg (375.73 KiB) Viewed 1858 times

Regarding autofocus, honestly speaking I never did research this matter but I believe DJI’s LiDAR is what you want.

Which gimbal is best? It’s subjective; it depends on your application. However, everyone recommends DJI’s gimbals. RS3 Pro or wait for RS4.

I tried Zhiyun Crane 4 last week and sent back next few days, it’s good but I didn’t bond with it.
MacBook M3 Pro 16”, 18 GPU cores, 36GB RAM, 1TB | Sonoma 14.4
BMCC6K-FF | Sigma 12-24 f4 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Sigma MC-21 Adaptor
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6

robedge

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 9:06 pm

Omar Mohammad wrote:Which gimbal is best? It’s subjective; it depends on your application. However, everyone recommends DJI’s gimbals. RS3 Pro or wait for RS4.

You looked into the timing of DJI releases and concluded that RS4 might be launched as early as June, didn’t you?

ale211734

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 9:23 pm

robedge wrote:

This comes through very clearly in some of Brandon Li’s videos. I think that it’s a good idea to watch his videos, or those of someone equally skilled, and ask “Is that what I want to achieve?”, not “Does that look like Steadicam footage?”.

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I'm a beginner. I watched this video by Brandon Li on the use of a gimbal (
) at 1:53, and I have some doubts. Can I achieve a shot like this with both a gimbal or a glidecam? How important is autofocus for these shots, or can they be done with manual focus by adjusting the focal length and maintaining the same distance from the subject? I'm also wondering when autofocus is really necessary on a gimbal or glidecam. My flycam Redking can achieve static balance and stays vertical, but when I try to rotate it around the vertical axis with a finger, it becomes unbalanced, which is somewhat abnormal. I've seen in some videos that there's subsequent dynamic balancing done on the steadycam, but they have batteries and monitors at the bottom of the steadycam. On the contrary, I don't have anything between two weights in the foot of my flycam; however, I don't know how to solve this problem. This, along with the weight, has made me start thinking about getting a gimbal.

Omar Mohammad

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 9:26 pm

robedge wrote:
Omar Mohammad wrote:Which gimbal is best? It’s subjective; it depends on your application. However, everyone recommends DJI’s gimbals. RS3 Pro or wait for RS4.

You looked into the timing of DJI releases and concluded that RS4 might be launched as early as June, didn’t you?

I have stumbled upon some rumors but none of them have disclosed an ETA. Most of them suggests a release date between mid April and mid June based on previous releases. If I get my hands on cheap second hand RS3 pro, I won’t be waiting for RS4, unless they announce a date within the few next days.

Omar Mohammad

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 9:44 pm

If either you or the subject are moving towards/away from the camera, I will need a way keeping subject within focus.

I shoot real estate; I move, everything else is static, I lower aperture to get more focus depth, f/5.6 and above. I do so only if I’m moving towards or backwards a subject.

When I want to pull focus to alternate between two subjects, I do it manually with focus wheel.

I found this tool that looks handy but haven’t tested it. I’m not sure if focus wheel should be set to infinity.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/depth-of-field

John Paines

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 10:55 pm

You're on the right track with the DOF calculator. And you can probably forget about pulling focus. You won't need to for real estate work.

Based on some fast calculations (be sure check it yourself!), with a 10mm lens at f5.6 on a BMPCC 4K, the hyperfocal distance is about 4 feet. So if you focus at 4 feet, everything from about 2 feet to infinity should be in acceptable focus.

At f8, if you focus at 4 feet everything from 1.4 ft to infinity should be in acceptable focus. Sounds strange, but that's what the calculations are showing.

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 11:55 pm

Omar, I may be wrong but I don’t think that online calculator allows you to set the circle of confusion according to the conventional way of varying CoC for camera sensors.

from Wikipedia:
For full-frame 35 mm format (24 mm × 36 mm, 43 mm diagonal), a widely used CoC limit is d/1500, or 0.029 mm for full-frame 35 mm format, which corresponds to resolving 5 lines per millimeter on a print of 30 cm diagonal. Values of 0.030 mm and 0.033 mm are also common for full-frame 35 mm format.

I use d/1700 in the Lens Toolkit f8 app to play it safe with a smaller CoC.
Rick Lang

Michael59

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 8:51 am

Just some Words to add ..

For those interested in Steadycams , Vest and Arms , you also have " Proaim.be "

https://www.proaim.be/collections/all-s ... er-gimbals ( free advertising .. )

Several Years ago , I have " DIY " .. a Steadycam , and the arms .. it requires some tools and ball bearings .. not perfect , but I learned a lot .. With a simple Diagonal Coil Spring , the reaction is Not perfect .. If you push the camera Up , and let it go , it comes back to the previous level .. same thing if you push it Down .. The perfect Arm is an Iso-Elastic arm .. any place you put the camera on the vertical axis , it remains on the same level .. It is achieved with very strong springs , a steel Cable , and double-stage Pulleys .. The Pro Commercial versions are very expensive Tools .. If I am Energetic enough , maybe one day I'll try to make one by myself ... but a bit difficult to be behind the viewfinder and to build the tools .. a bit much for one man .. I have to be Realistic ..

An interesting solution would be to make a Steadycam , but with an electronic brushless motor control of only the Roll Axis .. so we keep the instinctive and natural action of the Steadycam , and the ease of gimbal control for the roll axis .. large diameter and high Torque brushless motors exist .. perfect for that purpose .. I have used Alexmos boards , they need some work and tuning , but work very well ..

Anyway , when you work Solo , you quickly understand your limitations ( I understand My limitations ... ) , as someone says " Nobody ever made a Film alone " ..

Just my Two Euros .. with my Regards from our Old France ... / Mike ..

Omar Mohammad

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 8:01 pm

Rick, thank you for the clarification. The app looks handy. I’ll dig more into this subject, totally new to me.

robedge

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 4:12 am

Might be of interest, B&H price for 24 hours until midnight, April 2.

dji.jpg
dji.jpg (134.24 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

Omar Mohammad

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 1:12 pm

robedge wrote:Might be of interest, B&H price for 24 hours until midnight, April 2.

dji.jpg

Wow, this is a steal.

On Dji official store is out of stock and it's more expensive.

Return to Cinematography