lidar autofocus

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ale211734

lidar autofocus

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 pm

I have a bmpcc4k with a Meike 35 mm cine lens T2.2. For one man band solution can be useful buy a lidar autofocus like this? T2.2 https://www.pdmovie.com/pages/liveair3smart ? Maybe 4-5 meter limit distance can be a problem?

Phil999

Re: lidar autofocus

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 pm

I'm not quite sure if it is still the case, if it hasn't changed then you need a Dji RS3 Pro to program the lens profiles into the Lidar Range Finder. From then on you can use the Range Finder with manual lenses without gimbal. Bestboy Adam has a recent video on YouTube where he uses the Range Finder with a shoulder rig.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 pm

The problem usually is in short distance, when you go to longer than 4-5 meters you can close a bit the iris and you have a good depth of field.

When you work to Blackmagic you can know how is without calculator, you should only go to lens metadata’s during shot from 7.9 firmware

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

ale211734

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 9:37 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:The problem usually is in short distance, when you go to longer than 4-5 meters you can close a bit the iris and you have a good depth of field.

When you work to Blackmagic you can know how is without calculator, you should only go to lens metadata’s during shot from 7.9 firmware

nviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Thank you for the tip, have you by any chance had the opportunity to try the lidar I linked? When you say the issue is with short distances, were you referring to the lidar or focusing in general?

ale211734

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 9:58 am

Phil999 wrote:I'm not quite sure if it is still the case, if it hasn't changed then you need a Dji RS3 Pro to program the lens profiles into the Lidar Range Finder. From then on you can use the Range Finder with manual lenses without gimbal. Bestboy Adam has a recent video on YouTube where he uses the Range Finder with a shoulder rig.

I was considering one-man band solutions, and now I have a Flycam Redking, which is quite heavy, and that's mainly why I was thinking about the gimbal. However, the autofocus issue would still remain even with the gimbal, and buying the RS3 Pro with the DJI Lidar is not a small expense for me as I'm just a hobbyist. Anyway, the lidar I linked is this one
, I wasn't referring to the DJI lidar. I don't know if the DJI one actually works better than this or if it carries the same issues.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 10:13 am

PDMovie Lidar has much less range than the DJI Lidar, which has a 14m range according to DJI. Idk if the "effective" range is really 14m but definitely much more than PDMovie.

I think they also differ in the horizontal area they cover but you might research that. With both you need to keep objects in the middle of the frame to focus them but I think DJI grants a bit more leeway. I might be wring though. There are tests of the PDMovie on YouTube.

Johannes Jonsson

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 10:59 am

Although I do not use auto focus I got the pdmovie live smart to throw on a b cam if that user is not used to use manual focus in run and gun.
The max is five meters secured distance witch is enough for what I meant the use case for.
It has worked really good when used.
I still prefer manual thought 100% because I want to be in full control of the focus point for the framing I am going for for each shot.
Johannes

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 am

ale211734 wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:The problem usually is in short distance, when you go to longer than 4-5 meters you can close a bit the iris and you have a good depth of field.

nviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Thank you for the tip, have you by any chance had the opportunity to try the lidar I linked? When you say the issue is with short distances, were you referring to the lidar or focusing in general?
No, unfortunately there isn’t a rental near me that have it.
In general more near you are to subject less depth of field you have to keep it in focus, and lindar or manual focus could be wrong.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Phil999

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 8:35 pm

ale211734 wrote:I have a bmpcc4k with a Meike 35 mm cine lens T2.2. For one man band solution can be useful buy a lidar autofocus like this?

I tested the Dji Lidar Range Finder with Pocket 4k and the Sirui Mars set and the Zhong Yi Speedmaster set. Excellent continuous autofocus. It works very well.
Last edited by Phil999 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 12:56 am

Phil, did you test for the nearest and farthest distances that the LiDAR handled well?
Rick Lang

rick.lang

lidar autofocus

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 2:33 pm

I see the new DJI Focus Pro LiDAR system is rated to 20m. That’s very appealing for what I’m usually shooting. Often though I may have subjects in frame to stage left and stage right at a wide angle of view so that type of shot might not work properly if the LiDAR angle of view is too narrow. With a suitable use case though, it looks very effective.
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 6:35 pm

…I’m selling my PD Movie Live Air 3 Smart…
Long-time Blackmagic User

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 12:45 am

So watching Florent’s video may have in part addressed my concern about the narrow angle of view needing to capture a wide perspective since the LiDAR can optionally track people. I assume then I can simply indicate the principal subject to be followed at anytime.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography