12v and USB-C power not working on P6K Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

SyrioForealio

12v and USB-C power not working on P6K Pro

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 6:23 pm

Hello,

I'm using a Blackmagic Pocket 6K Pro on set today. Normally the light turns red when I have the 12v connected and the camera is off. When it's on it keeps the internal battery charged.

I've used this same camera many times without issue, but today both the 12v and USB-C inputs fail to power the camera or charge the internal battery. The pins on the 12v appear to be aligned. I tried using multiple DTap cables, both on our gold mount plate and on the gold mount battery directly. Tried a few USB-C cables as well. We have 3 Sony batteries we're switching between, and even at full charge they start at 7.4 volts and die after about 10 minutes. Any clue what's going on? We've never had this issue before.

What's interesting is that the USB-C powers the SSD and records to it fine, but when I take that out and try to power the camera via usb-c, it doesn't receive power for the internal battery.

Thanks,
Chris

carlomacchiavello

Re: 12v and USB-C power not working on P6K Pro

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 12:10 pm

Have you tried with wall mount power?
Just to see if it’s a weipu connector damages?

USB-c if I remember correctly (we should check the manual) can only charge internal battery with camera off, but I not remember that can power up the camera. It’s a usb 3.1 and seems had some limitations.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

kfriis

Re: 12v and USB-C power not working on P6K Pro

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 12:51 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:Have you tried with wall mount power?
Just to see if it’s a weipu connector damages?

USB-c if I remember correctly (we should check the manual) can only charge internal battery with camera off, but I not remember that can power up the camera. It’s a usb 3.1 and seems had some limitations.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

If using a powerbank, Power Delivery must be supported, and the powerbank must be able and willing to deliver 12V DC on USB-C (not all are). Unless a dedicated power supply is used.

In some borderline cases, you get inconsistent behaviour. You can find special USB-C cables, that are “programmed” to specifically request - for instance - up to 12V/3A (look on Amazon - other fixed settings cables also possible). Always! Nothing else accepted!

I often use one of these cables to guarantee 12V DC power of ample “persuasion” to my external 14-20 TB external HDD’s for portable use. Works like a treat, but not all powerbanks will deliver 12V. In those case - maybe - 9V will be “negotiated/forced”, and that will be a borderline case. During a re-negotiation only 5V may be on offer, depending on other devices connected and the port used.

Test the number of connections and especially in what order, they are done.

In many if not most “multipower” delivery situations, power is re-negotiated each time a device is connected or disconnected. If - initially - 12V DC was obtained, before connecting another “consumer”, it is not guaranteed, that 12V DC will be avaiable after re-nogotiating requirements.

Just a heads-up from real life.

I may have overlooked/misunderstood a detail, but I didn’t spot a clear power source description.

Regards

Return to Cinematography