CFast card for BMPCC 6k (original version) shooting in 6k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rune Jacobsen

CFast card for BMPCC 6k (original version) shooting in 6k

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:41 am

Hi there,

I'm new here, so please excuse any bad terminology. I'll try my best. :)

I have the original version of the Pocket Cinema 6k camera, and I have been shooting with it using a Samsung T5 SSD, which has worked very well for a number of years.

I have also recently began using it for livestreaming, connecting it to the first Atem Mini (non-Pro) and using it as a capture source in OBS. I see that I will be able to use the camera directly connected to the PC as a webcam using the USB-C-port in the future, but I have not explored that yet.

I am writing some software that will use the HTTP REST API to switch the camera between settings profiles right now, using the latest beta software. Using this, I can use the camera in "video mode" when used as a webcam, and then in "film mode" when I shoot video. The camera is mounted in a way that makes it non-trivial to operate the screen, but I have created some buttons on a Stream Deck device to switch profiles, making this easy.

The only problem with it as such is that the USB-C port is now occupied with the connection to the PC, which I gather is a requirement to use the REST API. Thus I can't record video to the Samsung T5 anymore.

It is probably possible to do some kind of USB hub thing here in order to connect both to the PC and the T5 at the same time, or use OBS to record the feed coming across the USB-cable as a webcam, but I think I would prefer a CFast card to free up the USB-port.

I have read the recommendations here about recent AngelBird CFast cards, and if I want to record in 6k the 1TB version of the cards seems too slow anyway. I've tried playing with the spreadsheet from Robert Niessner but I don't trust myself to interpret the results correctly, so I'm asking the expertise here instead. :)

Given all of the above, what would be "the right" card for my situation? I don't need to shoot many hours of video at once - something with 30 minutes capacity at 6k should be plenty, but higher capacity is always welcome. I don't need insane quality, I'm sure 3:1 or 5:1 would be more than enough for my use.

To complicate things further, I am in Norway, and not every brand is easy to get ahold of here. So I might need to order something from abroad with decent shipping costs as well. :)

There are probably factors that I did not include here - if these affect the choice, I will try my best to respond to any requests for more information.

For now - thanks for any insights you guys might provide!

Rune Jacobsen

Re: CFast card for BMPCC 6k (original version) shooting in 6

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 12:33 pm

I can add that if there is any recommendations for "multiplexing" the USB connection so that I can connect to the computer and a USB drive at the same time, I would be happy to hear about it.

Also, if I go the CFast route I will need a reader. Any recommendations based on experience? I see that Angelbird has one, and I would probably go for that one if I end up with an AngelBird card as well, but if someone has any experiences to share I would be happy to hear about them.

Sorry to shamelessly bump this topic as a new user, but because it required moderation, by the time it was "released" it was already old enough that it disappeared to page 2 almost immediately.

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 6:24 pm

I use this on the P4K, and I could NOT make recording fail. Even 4K 60 Q0 BRAW on high-motion scenes, this card would not drop frames.

The P6K might have higher bitrates to accommodate the higher resolutions, but it's worth checking out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _525r.html
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Poozon

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 8:50 pm

SanDisk Extreme Pro Cfast 2.0 512GB is my most reliable card on my BMPCC 6K G2.

I have also two Angelbird 512GB cards: one of them drops frames very rarely, one more often (but when it starts recording successfully then it does not stop recording in the middle).

And I have Wise 1TB and it is reliable only when I use a battery grip. It just consumes too much power to be reliable with a single battery.

Rune Jacobsen

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 9:50 am

Thank you both! I'll see what is available locally, purchase one and see what I can do with it. I'll find out if SanDisk has a reader available too, or if there is a general one recommended.

Again, thanks!

Return to Cinematography