Same Camera for shooting a scene with more cameras?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

IstvanOnFire

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 2:31 pm

Hi !
I am curious, if you shoot a scene with more than one camera,
It's the best to have the same type of camera?b(same sensor, company, model)

For example, if camera one is Super 35, Pocket Cinema 6K,
the best would be that the others are too, Super 35, Pocket Cinema 6K?
- So i switch off these parameters (sensor size, white balance, and so so),
I can entirely focus on the lense ?

Or, it does not matter so much, because camera one is Super 35
and Camera two can be MFT ? Or even Full Format ?
- but then I have to focus on sensor size too, not only the lense?

thx

IstvanOnFire

Re: Same Camera for shooting a scene with more cameras?

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 3:49 pm

Question to Gemini ..
film footage with multi cams, is is beneficiary to use same camera model?

Answer from Gemini ..

There are both advantages and disadvantages to using the same camera model for multi-cam film footage:

**Advantages:**

* **Consistent Image Characteristics:** Using the same model ensures all cameras capture footage with the same sensor size, color profile, and dynamic range. This makes color grading and editing much easier, as you won't have to adjust for inherent differences between cameras.
* **Workflow Efficiency:** Having identical cameras simplifies setup, operation, and troubleshooting. Settings and accessories are interchangeable, and crew members familiar with one camera can easily operate another.
* **Rental Costs:** Renting multiple cameras of the same model might be cheaper than renting a variety of models. Some rental houses offer discounts for bulk rentals.

**Disadvantages:**

* **Lack of Creative Flexibility:** Different camera models offer unique features and functionalities. Using only one model limits your ability to exploit these creative possibilities. For example, a high-speed camera might be useful for capturing slow-motion shots, while a drone camera offers aerial perspectives.
* **Single Point of Failure:** If your primary camera model malfunctions, all your footage might be compromised. Having backups or a mix of models provides some redundancy.

**In Conclusion:**

The decision of whether to use the same camera model depends on your specific project needs:

* **For projects requiring a uniform look and efficient workflow, using the same camera model is highly beneficial.**
* **For projects demanding creative flexibility or redundancy, using a mix of camera models might be preferable.**

**Additional factors to consider:**

* **Budget:** Renting a variety of high-end models might be cost-prohibitive.
* **Availability:** Rental houses might have limited stock of specific camera models.
* **Crew Expertise:** If your crew is unfamiliar with a particular camera model, it might slow down production.

Ultimately, the best approach is to weigh the advantages and disadvantages based on your specific project requirements.

IstvanOnFire

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 3:51 pm

AI .. we are doomed ..

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 9:56 pm

I’m the real Rick Lang. I regularly shoot the BMPCC4K in 4K DCI mFT with a SLR Magic APO 32mm prime lens PL mount as well as the UM4.6K Super16 in 2K 16:9 with a Fujinon 20x7.8 BRM zoom B4 mount.

The UM4.6K records CinemaDNG colour science Gen 3 and that is raised to colour science Gen 4 in DaVinci Resolve. The BMPCC4K records BRAW colour science Gen 5. So the one disadvantage of this is that Gen 4 and Gen 5 are not identical but I grade the video very close to a match; since the camera angles are different, any Gen 4/5 differences can be minor as the different lighting on the subjects shot a different angles can affect the image anyway.

The advantages of shooting with the two cameras are many especially as the different angles of view can save a shot. For instance, since the blocking looks quite different, one particular angle can look much better than the other for a given moment in the shot. One zoom angle lets me be wider or narrower than my fixed focal length prime to try and get the best subject shot, i.e. one moment a wide shot is need on the subject, then a medium shot from my prime lens, than a closeup of the subject.

I used to shoot with only one camera, but know I always use two cameras.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 1:14 am

If you need to shoot any kind of live event, I’d suggest having one camera with higher resolution on a tripod only being focused and/or panning very carefully. This way, you always have one stable picture to cut back to and even reframe when others loose focus or framing while running about for interesting angles. We always did this for theatre with one UHD camera, while the production was in HD.
Of course, if clients want UHD now, you may need 8K or 12K. That could make it too expensive to have only one kind of camera, though.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 4:35 am

Very similar to my approach; my instructions for the Camera B operator are minimal: generally follow the lead actor and capture the group when feasible.
Rick Lang

IstvanOnFire

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 7:33 am

Thank you for these professional informations.

So you shoot
camera A ... wide shot
camera B ... medium shot
camera B ... closeup ?

You don't take a third camera for the "closeups"?
camera A ... wide shot
camera B ... medium shot
camera C ... closeup

Thank you

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 8:39 am

Well, we have one wide camera and two or three moving around and only getting tasks that assign different persons or parts of the scene to them. Of course, they have to cover sufficiently different angles to avoid jarring cuts. There are no fixed rules for this, IMHO.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 8:33 pm

For the work I do, any BMD Pocket would be workable for Multicam filming. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 3:13 am

Use the same camera and matching lenses if you don't know how to color grade, otherwise Resolve.

Return to Cinematography