Ursa Cine - Facts and findings

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nathan_H

Re: Ursa Cine - Facts and findings

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 am

Krishna Pada wrote:
WahWay wrote:Here is my prediction. Ursa Cine will flop in sales. I like the spec but Blackmagic is not a premium brand in the camera world unless it takes steps into addressing repairs and services. They just about got away with it in the past because of the generally low cost nature of their cameras but anything close to and now beyond £10k ultimately consign the Ursa Cine to the rental stores. Like all BMD cameras it initially get a few firmware updates but later on with cost vs sales you won't see much firmware support for this camera.

This is a boffins camera with much less if any input from consumers. The last time this happen was the Big Ursa and we all know what happen to that one. It will be £7k by year's end if BMD is to recover losses.

I don’t know whether it will be flop or not, but yes Blackmagic after sales service is almost non-existent. That’s where all serious camera manufacturers excel. Some manufacturers even provide you with a backup camera if your camera develops some snag and is away for servicing.
We never minded this almost no repair support from BMD, because most of their cameras are way cheaper than its competitors.
But with this camera things need to change. Otherwise no rental house or a cinematographer will not feel confident.

After-Sale service is non-existant ? How so ?

I had faillure on my URSA G2, got RMA in 10days, another in 10 days, third time it was out of warranty, SDI fried and a good cleaning of the body was needed, and they checked the camera for less than 500euros !

A friend of mine needed some cleaning on his C70 NDS and had a problem with his ON / OFF swich.
Canon asked him 1000euros while he was in the warranty period, and declared it oustide because of dust !

While I don't know how their after sale services is outside of europe (everything went through London in my case) their After sale was top notch ! I can only recommand.

As for having backup-cameras for their high end, at that price it would also make sense that the rental company would have backup, as for production company... it will depends on the policy of blackmagic. But I don't think it can be any worse than a Red DSMC1 & DSMC2.

Steve Fishwick

Re: Ursa Cine - Facts and findings

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 pm

Nathan_H wrote:While I don't know how their after sale services is outside of europe (everything went through London in my case) their After sale was top notch ! I can only recommand.

Yes I have to say, although I have never needed to RMA anything, London BMD have been brilliant. They've actually phoned me right back after I've sent an email, on the few occasions I contacted them, whether within warranty or general support enquiry!
Previous

Return to Cinematography