Where's the USB-C Video Assist?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

joe12south

Where's the USB-C Video Assist?

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 12:43 pm

BMD announced 2 (3 if you count the upcoming 17K model) cameras that have a USB-C port on the front to provide power and video to a monitor, but didn't update the Video Assist to take advantage of this feature.

I know the 12K and the Pyxis have 5" screens on the side, but many, especially solo operators, prefer a hinged monitor on top of the camera.

This seems like a "duh" omission to the line-up.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Username

Re: Where's the USB-C Video Assist?

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:08 pm

I thought the same!

They do like to release firmware/software updates which brings features but instead they lowered the price.
My impression is that they will release a new Cinema Assist further on with SDI/USB-C I/O.
Not sure if they will do include wifi for streaming.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Tarek Saneh

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:12 pm

I think it’s coming 5inch and 7 inch that’s why they lower the prices for the current video assists
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Akpe Ododoru

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 pm

joe12south wrote:BMD announced 2 (3 if you count the upcoming 17K model) cameras that have a USB-C port on the front to provide power and video to a monitor, but didn't update the Video Assist to take advantage of this feature.

I know the 12K and the Pyxis have 5" screens on the side, but many, especially solo operators, prefer a hinged monitor on top of the camera.

The USB-C port is to power the EVF and not a video assist.
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 3:16 pm

Akpe Ododoru wrote:The USB-C port is to power the EVF and not a video assist.

Not the current Video Assist, obviously, but could possibly provide video, camera control & power to a future Video Assist.

Username

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 3:22 pm

Akpe Ododoru wrote:
joe12south wrote:BMD announced 2 (3 if you count the upcoming 17K model) cameras that have a USB-C port on the front to provide power and video to a monitor, but didn't update the Video Assist to take advantage of this feature.

The USB-C port is to power the EVF and not a video assist.

Not only power.
So a new line Ciname Assist or firmware updated VA might be a fully workable option.

The URSA Cine EVF is extremely easy to connect as it simply mounts to the included viewfinder bracket and connects to the camera using a single USB-C cable.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Howard Roll

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm

I'd rather see a Gen 1 Cine Assist than a Gen 3 Video Assist. The Video Assist is fine as a standalone recorder but there's a lot of cost/weight/heat associated with features that wouldn't be very useful in this configuration. A 7" video Assist with 2 batteries is heavier than my camera and lens.

I propose a 1500 nit 1900X1200 6" monitor, with only USB, BT, maybe WiFi, no recording, no conventional IO, no battery/DC connections. I'm not a phone guy but a wired Cine Assist app seems a no-brainer.

Good Luck

joe12south

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 1:41 pm

Howard Roll wrote:I'd rather see a Gen 1 Cine Assist than a Gen 3 Video Assist. The Video Assist is fine as a standalone recorder but there's a lot of cost/weight/heat associated with features that wouldn't be very useful in this configuration. A 7" video Assist with 2 batteries is heavier than my camera and lens.

I propose a 1500 nit 1900X1200 6" monitor, with only USB, BT, maybe WiFi, no recording, no conventional IO, no battery/DC connections. I'm not a phone guy but a wired Cine Assist app seems a no-brainer.

Good Luck

Good points. We don't need the weight and heat of a recorder. We just need a high quality, high bright monitor with a single USB cable for video, power and control. For many that describes an iPhone. (Personally, I'd prefer it was a standalone product rather than futzing with yet another app on a phone.)
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Return to Cinematography