Two little software patches that PYXIS and Ursa Cine need

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tamas Harangi

Two little software patches that PYXIS and Ursa Cine need

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:07 pm

Both these new cameras are awesome, but they would be much more suitable for professional use if their monitor signals adapted the style of clean image surrounded by GUI data that every pro cam uses from the Komodo up. The frame dirtied by GUI data leads to all kinds of nuisances on set. This seems like it would be just an update on the camera OS, unless there is some aspect to this I'm not aware of. If memory serves, the eye piece of the Pocket Pro already has a similar display, so that software bit would just need to be incorporated into the cameras monitor signal to make them a better professional tool.

A second software patch that would be very useful is scalable frame lines. With open gate large format shooting, being able to scale the frame line to customize the size for look around etc. would be very useful. I know the cameras currently have a scalable Safe Area guide, and yes, that could be a workaround, but the Safe Area is not shadable, so not as useful for a custom frame line application.

All the other improvements are really amazing and I look forward to BM continuing to make inroads into the professional cine market.
Last edited by Tamas Harangi on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamas Harangi
DOP
DIT - IATSE Local 600

timbutt2

Re: Two little software patches that PYXIS and Ursa Cine nee

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:38 pm

The Original URSA Mini 4.6K had a Text Surround Image feature. I think this is what you're looking for and it should come back. So probably a firmware update that is doable. Especially now that the URSA Cine line has 5" displays again. I think this feature went away when the UMP was introduced with a smaller 4" screen as the text surrounding the image made the image too small on the 4" whereas the 5" it was the same as the 4" after the setting was enabled.

So Blackmagic hopefully can bring this feature back in firmware.

The Scalable Frame Lines could be useful. I have no input how doable it is for BMD.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 4:41 am

I tried shooting with the URSA Mini 4.6K and the 5” LCD with the Text surrounding the video instead of Text overlaying the video. I was so used to the overlay, that I thought the Text surrounding video made the video too small. I think it’s whatever you are accustomed too.

I usually shoot with the BMVA12G7 with a lut for referencing the look and the UM4.6K for composition. And the URSA Viewfinder for False Colour.
Rick Lang

Tamas Harangi

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 2:56 pm

rick.lang wrote:I tried shooting with the URSA Mini 4.6K and the 5” LCD with the Text surrounding the video instead of Text overlaying the video. I was so used to the overlay, that I thought the Text surrounding video made the video too small. I think it’s whatever you are accustomed too.

I hear you, but I just don't think the GUI overlay of a professional cine camera, especially on the the SDI out, should be dictated by a 4"-5" built in monitor. We have directors and clients that we need to send the signal to and they're watching on 25" -- sometimes 50" OLEDS in client village. Many people at those monitors need to see the clean frame with GUI data surrounding it.

Even on the operator side, now you have a 1080P EVF to start with, and usually a 7" on board monitor rig, and we need to see the edges of the frame undistracted. It is very unlikely that I would use the built in monitor on either the Usra Cine or the Pyxis for anything other than checking and modifying settings.

The type of monitor GUI layout I'm talking about is standard on all pro cinema cameras and it should be implemented on new BM cameras as well for this type of application.
Tamas Harangi
DOP
DIT - IATSE Local 600

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 3:31 pm

It’s an option on the Ursa Cine to have the text outside the image.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Tamas Harangi

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 4:43 pm

John Brawley wrote:It’s an option on the Ursa Cine to have the text outside the image.

That's great to hear! The marketing on the site currently only features the "dirty frame" GUI layout, but I'm looking forward to testing the pro layout on this when the camera becomes available. A similar OS update to the Pyxis, at least on the SDI out, would be awesome!
Tamas Harangi
DOP
DIT - IATSE Local 600

timbutt2

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 7:16 pm

John Brawley wrote:It’s an option on the Ursa Cine to have the text outside the image.

JB

Glad to hear this option returned! Makes sense considering the bigger 5" screen since that was in the OG URSA Mini as well. Thank you JB!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography