Servicing an URSA Mini 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Squatchfilm

Servicing an URSA Mini 4K

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 5:19 am

Hello there!
I own a Blackmagic URSA Mini 4K, which is well out of warranty.
A few months ago, I noticed the XLR ports were no longer functioning, so I reached out to Blackmagic who said that they no longer service the Mini. No big deal. I rarely use the XLR inputs anyway. Today, however, I noticed some spots on my image that after testing a few different lenses, appear to be directly on the sensor. Hopefully it's just a cleaning, but seeing as I now have two issues on my camera, I figure it's time to start looking for a third party repair avenue.
I live in Southwest Michigan, a few hours from Detroit and Chicago if anyone has any brick and mortar recommendations. I'd really like to avoid the cost and hassle of shipping.

Thanks so much! Would love to be able to get some more life out of this camera.

Steve Fishwick

Re: Servicing an URSA Mini 4K

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 am

I'd very much recommend having a go yourself. The cost of any repair will pay good chunk towards a new camera. That's if anyone can repair them. There are no service manuals for any of the BMD cameras. No spare parts, even if BMD were willing to sell them - these were just in time products with very little excess manufacture. The boards are not modular and separate; something goes the whole lot tends to be a write-off. Chips and most electronic components, except capacitors, can last indefinitely but the lead free solder tends to break down - like all modern things the price we pay for the environment; in our cars and cameras now.

The XLR should be relatively easy to fix yourself; it's most likely that solder. The sensor you can have a go to at very carefully cleaning it; it's very common for them develop 'mould' spots, after time. People have had some success re-flowing the solder on electronic components, for issues there; but it's a bit hairy slapping these boards in ovens and such like.

Squatchfilm

Re: Servicing an URSA Mini 4K

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely give it a go.

Regarding the spots on the image being mold spots, that was my first thought upon noticing them, but what is strange is they seemed to develop in the middle of the shoot day.

Return to Cinematography