Bmmsc 4K g2 multi cam genlock for Multicam.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Len Guyse

Bmmsc 4K g2 multi cam genlock for Multicam.

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 2:15 am

I understand the only way of genlockng the bmmsc g2 is by feed the camera a sdi video signal, and the camera will lock to that signal. Now then if though the audio I can jam the genlock camera (the master camera) to a an external tc device then the slave camera will be in frame sync with the master and be recording the same tc as the master. Further I can send the hdmi to my mixpre hdmi tc in and the mixpre will be synced up with the cameras. I would just have to account for any latency on the hdmi going to the mixpre.

Will my insanity work.

Howard Roll

Re: Bmmsc 4K g2 multi cam genlock for Multicam.

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 10:42 am

That should all work. I have my reserations about AV sync but as long as Blackmagic’s non-standard genlock is implemented in the regular way it should be negligible <1 line.

Good Luck

Steve Fishwick

Re: Bmmsc 4K g2 multi cam genlock for Multicam.

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 10:55 am

The Mixpre 3 and 6, HDMI in (Mixpre 10 has BNC TC/Word clock) are designed to work with DSLR type cameras, sat upon them, such as the Pockets; that also give out TC over HDMI. The normal way (i.e not multicam but documentary) to work with multiple professional cameras and these, is something like Tentacle SYNC E, via a 3.5mm to SDI adaptor on the Ursa and using Aux in on the Mixpre. I don't know how they perform with SDI>HDMI conversion, such as you imply; or whether that might have delay; it can do, in frames sometimes. Obviously you may know that genlock and TC serve 2 different functions and jamming TC sync, isn't the same thing has having true switching video sync.

Return to Cinematography