My new Tilta rig with shoulder pad for BMPC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dan MCcready

My new Tilta rig with shoulder pad for BMPC4K

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Here is my new rig for the BMPC 4K a full rig from Tilta with a 230wh v mount battery.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (656.99 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (751.59 KiB) Viewed 9011 times

Caps

Re: My new Tilta rig with shoulder pad for BMPC4K

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 pm

That looks awesome Macksey; that's the rig I was thinking of getting as well. Maybe you could give us a bit of feedback?

-How is the shoulder placement and weight distribution?

-How much did you spend and where did you purchase?

-Am wondering how comfortable it is with the wooden handles there?

-Is the follow-focus that useful without a focus-puller if mounted on your shoulder?

-Think the shoulder setup would require an EVF or ext monitor, what are you thinking?

Cheers!
-Caps

APAIRUS

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Is this designed to shoot without a monitor? If not it looks like it's either set up wrong or the most poorly designed rig I have seen yet in terms of weight distribution.
Bret Kalmbach

Dan MCcready

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 9:09 pm

APAIRUS wrote:Is this designed to shoot without a monitor? If not it looks like it's either set up wrong or the most poorly designed rig I have seen yet in terms of weight distribution.

Setup wrong? No it is set up right mate, right for me anyway and it is well balanced, but it's totally adjustable, so you can change the balance of the rig to suit. I do have a monitor (not in picture) I've just spent two full days shooting on a job with this rig and everyone was impressed with it.

Caps

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Do you mind showing a picture with your monitor set up?

Is that the carbon fiber matte box?

Dan MCcready

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Caps wrote:That looks awesome Macksey; that's the rig I was thinking of getting as well. Maybe you could give us a bit of feedback?

-How is the shoulder placement and weight distribution?

-How much did you spend and where did you purchase?

-Am wondering how comfortable it is with the wooden handles there?

-Is the follow-focus that useful without a focus-puller if mounted on your shoulder?

-Think the shoulder setup would require an EVF or ext monitor, what are you thinking?

Cheers!
-Caps

Caps as long as you have a counter weight like the big v mount battery I have on the back then the balance is pretty good and the shoulder mount has a adjustable arm at two points so you can change the angle to suit (offset or straight )

This rig cost me £1250 from Came (china) it took 8 days to the Uk. With extra handles.

The wooden handles are pretty good, in fact I have two pairs so I can ad a third one for the follow focus.

I love this follow focus it has a drag system and feels solid with no play at all, I can pull focus with a monitor no problem.

I was using an SDI monitor for two days and it was perfect, I'm looking at a EVF but not sure Which one to get.

The rig has four Arri style rosette mounts for the handles I have them on the back ones but you can move them forward a bit onto the front set mounted onto the base plate to help with the balance.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (718.72 KiB) Viewed 8966 times

DerekDock

PostMon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 am

That looks fantastic. I am considering a similar setup for the future. Love the wood on the Tilta handles

Gary Cook

PostMon Mar 17, 2014 11:58 am

Ordered one! Knowing you had a good experience with the eBay china seller sealed the deal.

Saved £700 on the same item...
http://www.cinegearpro.com/tilta-es-t07 ... a-379.html

Thanks!

Samjack

Dan MCcready

PostTue Mar 18, 2014 7:47 am

The exchange rate was different it cost me £1059 for the rig without the extra set of handles plus I got another power cable from them, I'm always losing the things. The handles are more expensive then you think. £169.

Gary Cook

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 11:23 am

Can you recommend a v-mount battery for this setup?

Frank.Perrotto

PostFri Mar 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Can you tell me about that bottom plate and how it has the rosettes to attach handles? I only seem to have the method to attach handles to the cage itself. Do they come off and can be placed on the bottom plate somehow?

I purchased mine from the same place, awesome service.

PalmerWoodrow

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 am

Just ordered this rig. Does that follow focus work directly with EF lenses, or do I need to order the flexible gear bands? The eBay listing mentions that the rig is suitable for EFs, but doesn't include or mention the bands.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Samjack

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:15 am

Can you charge the battery through the V mount plate?

Dan MCcready

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Samjack, The battery can't be charged by the tilta v mount as far as I know.

Frank perrotto, there are two sets of rosettes one on the cage the other on the base plate.

Palmer woodrow, you get 5 of the bands in the set also I got a hand crank and a wip, I wasn't expecting them but they were in the kit. A nice supprise.

Anthony Miles

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Very nice. I am envious. I have a retailer near me in Arizona that sells these and he has one similarly rigged.

Once I am set on my BM4K (and satisfied that it will do the job once FPN is fixed) I will likely invest in something like this. Currently I am using a P&C rod &rails kit and it gets me by but I use it on multiple rigs when I use different cameras so it would be really nice to have this built up with my BM$K and just be a able to go shoot without the need to swap cameras on rigs etc. I did find his was still a little front heavy for my taste. I would need to experiment with greater rear weight to modify and shoot comfortably.

Rakesh Malik

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Have you by any chance tried out the Tilta follow focus? If so, how is it?
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Dan MCcready

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Tamerlin wrote:Have you by any chance tried out the Tilta follow focus? If so, how is it?

It's good well made and solid, I'm setting up at the moment for a one off feature length drama, so I'm going to be testing a lot and will post some updated info and pics.

Digicineman, you won't be disappointed it's a nice rig, solid and well made, also looks Professional for your clients.

If I get an bmcc 2.5k I may get another one.

Rakesh Malik

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks for that info. I've been using one of the Edelkrone follow focus devices, and I'm not that satisfied with it. It works fine when it's properly set, but it's pretty fiddly, and since it only anchors on one rod, it's tough to get a solid connection unless I put it on a top rod, so I've been eyeing nicer ones. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Philippe Bendayan

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 pm

I have followfocus from shoot35 that is really good, and a mattebox from Canavision, bouth for 15". Is there a cc standard among manufacturers. I like the Tilta but if it works i would only like to get the cage, handles and shoulderplate.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk
Philippe Bendayan

Philippe Bendayan

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Should say 15mm

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk
Philippe Bendayan

Gary Stone

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:34 pm

Just got this rig myself and can vouch for it. Great stuff.

cinetrade

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 1:15 am

We have a very similar rig. Has it's pros and cons. Obviously don't leave shoulder rig on when mounted on tripod that is purely for illustrative purposes.

IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg (81.19 KiB) Viewed 7712 times

Pros

Good build quality
Very affordable price
Looks professional not cheap

Cons

Need EVF to go handheld
Quite heavy. Too heavy for long periods of handheld

cinetrade

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 am

Does anyone else you an EVF when shooting with these tilta rigs (or any other brand)? What brand are you guys using?

Dan MCcready

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 7:09 am

cinetrade wrote:Does anyone else you an EVF when shooting with these tilta rigs (or any other brand)? What brand are you guys using?

I'm using a lilliput monitor at the moment but I'm looking to get an EVF or I may go for the new external recorder by Atomos, the Shogun, so I can record at 60p it has a really decent built in monitor.

Dan MCcready

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:
Macksey wrote:I'm using a lilliput monitor at the moment but I'm looking to get an EVF or I may go for the new external recorder by Atomos, the Shogun, so I can record at 60p it has a really decent built in monitor.

If the BMPC4K does not shoot at 60p, why do you want to record 60p?

I shoot a lot of music videos and I would normally use two or three cameras but sometimes I only have the budget for one and It would be good to have the option of 60p for some slow motion with my own camera the bmpc4k. And I could use it with my DSLRs. A decent monitor will cost around £1000 + the shogun is coming in at about £1300-1400 so it's worth it.

cinetrade

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 3:06 am

Macksey wrote: I shoot a lot of music videos and I would normally use two or three cameras but sometimes I only have the budget for one and It would be good to have the option of 60p for some slow motion with my own camera the bmpc4k. And I could use it with my DSLRs. A decent monitor will cost around £1000 + the shogun is coming in at about £1300-1400 so it's worth it.

I think he means how are you going to record 60fps when the 4k can't output that frame rate

Dan MCcready

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 6:03 am

The external recorder bypasses everything on the camera and just uses the sensor, so yes the camera can't record 60p-120p but the recorder can, from any camera. Also it has vector scopes waves, peaking etc, here is the link. http://www.atomos.com/shogun/

cinetrade

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 am

I may be totally wrong here but I don't think it can just use the sensor if you've plugged it in through SDI. The video feed has already been altered by this point and I thought the max the SDI could output was 50i??

Feel free to prove me wrong though haha

jasecd

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 am

Macksey wrote:The external recorder bypasses everything on the camera and just uses the sensor, so yes the camera can't record 60p-120p but the recorder can, from any camera. Also it has vector scopes waves, peaking etc, here is the link. http://www.atomos.com/shogun/

Not sure this is correct. I would love to be proved wrong though...
Jason Hall,
London/Bristol UK

Dan MCcready

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 am

It's all there in black and white on the link, here's a video of them at nab talking about it. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6z687pEH754

jasecd

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am

Macksey wrote:It's all there in black and white on the link, here's a video of them at nab talking about it. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6z687pEH754

When he says "we take the data straight off the sensor" he's wrong. What he means is that it bypasses the internal recording codec - i.e. the whole point of an external recorder. What you can record is the signal that is outputted through the HDMI/SDI compressed using a codec of choice within the recording device. On the BMPC 4K the output signal is 10bit 4:2:2 and limited to a maximum of 30p or 59.94i (although I don't think the interlaced output is implemented yet). Unless the camera is sending a 120fps signal you won't be able to record at that frame rate.

I guess that if you tried to record 120fps from a 30p signal you would get blocks of repeated frames. That's if the technology allowed it to work in the first place.
Jason Hall,
London/Bristol UK

Dan MCcready

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 1:40 pm

jasecd wrote:
Macksey wrote:It's all there in black and white on the link, here's a video of them at nab talking about it. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6z687pEH754

When he says "we take the data straight off the sensor" he's wrong. What he means is that it bypasses the internal recording codec - i.e. the whole point of an external recorder. What you can record is the signal that is outputted through the HDMI/SDI compressed using a codec of choice within the recording device. On the BMPC 4K the output signal is 10bit 4:2:2 and limited to a maximum of 30p or 59.94i (although I don't think the interlaced output is implemented yet). Unless the camera is sending a 120fps signal you won't be able to record at that frame rate.

I guess that if you tried to record 120fps from a 30p signal you would get blocks of repeated frames. That's if the technology allowed it to work in the first place.

Sorry we have our wires crossed.

Yes I know this for 4k on the Bmpc, I was on about shooting 1080p at higher frame rates and having the option of DNxHD, raw, In another video he was asked this question about BM cameras he laughed and he said yes you can record at 1080p up to 120 on ANY camera with HDMI or SDI and the specs also say that you can. Of cause I'm still yet to any footage from this recorder but judging by their other models they do, it should be worth at least a rental for some jobs. The question for me is, will this record 1080 at 120 from any of the BM cameras for real? He says in the video it ignores the signal and records direct? I suppose you could say the same about how they can record 4k in their recorders with standard 2.5 hard drives and BM can't? It's all in the software. And we know the 4k sensor is capable of shooting at higher frame rates by just looking at the Ursa specs.

Soeren Mueller

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Macksey wrote:Yes I know this for 4k on the Bmpc, I was on about shooting 1080p at higher frame rates and having the option of DNxHD, raw, In another video he was asked this question about BM cameras he laughed and he said yes you can record at 1080p up to 120 on ANY camera with HDMI or SDI and the specs also say that you can. Of cause I'm still yet to any footage from this recorder but judging by their other models they do, it should be worth at least a rental for some jobs. The question for me is, will this record 1080 at 120 from any of the BM cameras for real? He says in the video it ignores the signal and records direct? I suppose you could say the same about how they can record 4k in their recorders with standard 2.5 hard drives and BM can't? It's all in the software. And we know the 4k sensor is capable of shooting at higher frame rates by just looking at the Ursa specs.

All of the current BM cams won't give you more than 30fps max, no matter what settings or outputs you are planning to use, everything else would require a serious hardware mod... which this is clearly not, so this guy is "just talking" (regarding the video you linked).

Also - why they offer CinemaDNG recording.. I have no clue.. or is there (yet) any camera out there which provides the real RAW non-debayered sensor data via some (proprietary?) HDMI/SDI format?
Afaik nothing out there at all... only the Apertus guys are thinking or planning something like that...
So currently recording in this format if you already have a debayered and processed HDMI/SDI signal is quite a waste of space and unnecessarily cumbersome.

Edit: guess I was not up-to-date.. so the C500 outputs "real RAW" via 3G SDI to external recorders, so that makes at least one camera (plus the FS700?)... although it makes me suspicious that they call it "Canon RAW" - is it really non-debayered raw sensor data or just an uncompressed Canon log image?

Edit2: found this "Canon Raw is a 10-bit format with baked-in ISO and white balance. [..] So is Canon Raw actually Raw? It is, in the sense that the image is not de-bayered before you get it – this step is still done in post. You can think of using Canon Raw as being a bit like ordering a steak medium rare."

So currently the whole RAW recording part of the Shogun basically only makes sense with the C500 & FS700, correct?

I guess that's what Geoff meant ;)

Return to Cinematography