BMCC DNG files Preserved ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ghassan Nazmi

BMCC DNG files Preserved ?

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Hello, I have an important quick question, as I have loads of footage shot on my BMCC, I have hard drives full of footage that I have to hand back to the producers in each project after I finished coloring the footage my self and exported and everything is done, what im trying to do before I send the hard drives is that I took many shots for Showreels/portfolio materials for the future, I managed to export proxies for each projects and cut what I want out of them out of resolve using an editor program such as Sony Vegas for example, and then i exported an XML back to resolve, they opened just fine but here at this stage im trying to export those shots with a format that not can still preserve the highest quality as shot only but to still have the features & options that DNG format can provide, such as exposure and white balance control, (the options found in camera RAW menu)

the question is this possible with a specific format or is it weirdly enough to say if i can export back to DNG?

tried DPX RGB 16 bit, quality and data information are preserved but not the camera raw features

Please advice
Ghassan Nazmi
Writer|Director|Cinematographer
Info@ghassannazmi.com
www.ghassannazmi.com (Currently Upgrading)

http://instagram.com/oras_gn

VINTRUSCAM (BMCC 2.5K MFT)

Jules Bushell

Re: BMCC DNG files Preserved ?

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 3:39 am

Yeah sure. Use a projector to screen the footage. Use the BMCC to record the projector screen image. Voila, back to capturing sensor data and recording it to DNG files.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Dustin Boswell

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 6:53 am

generally what you would do is keep the DNG files as a backup and edit off of a transcoded or other codec codec (depending on what NLE you're using).

I've always felt a minimum of 2 backups is required for low-budget stuff, 1 of them goes with the Producer or DP and another goes to the Editor (So that in case the Producer accidentally spills coffee on the drives, the Editor still has a copy, and vice versa).

Generally if you are doing your workflow through DaVinci it shouldn't alter any of the DNG files themselves if you do it correctly.

I hope this answers your question.

:ugeek:
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

Jules Bushell

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 10:55 am

I used uncompressed QuickTime RGB 10 bits out of Resolve, if memory serves me correctly. It uses acres loads of space.

I now use Cineform 444 film scan 2 16 bit. Much less space, great quality still.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Return to Cinematography