BMCC overheating

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Claudinho Andrés Gómez

BMCC overheating

PostMon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 am

I don't know if anyone else had this issue but last december I was shooting a videoclip and after a brake I went for my BMCC but I simply couldn't hold on my hands... the camera got so hot that I had to wait at least 15 minutes for cooling back. I looked on the web but didn't find anybody reporting this experience. If anyone in this forum have some information about the matter I will appreciate. Thanks!

Claudinho Andrés Gómez

Re: BMCC overheating

PostMon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:The BMCC is cooled by a small fan, accessed from a panel underneath the camera. You could check that this fan is working properly. Also check that your mount does not block the cooling holes in the bottom of the camera.

From what you said about not being able to hold it in your hands, I wonder if you left it during your break on a surface that blocked the fan holes?

Finally, was the camera operating from its own internal battery or an external battery? If through an external battery, what voltage was that battery?

I'm gonna check this fan, as you say. And about your question, I left the camera inside the carrying bag during my brake. And I was not using an external battery but shooting with the camera plugged to a 220W home outlet. :roll:

adamroberts

PostMon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Sounds like it was not shut down properly before going into the bag.

If you hold the power button down to long the camera shuts down and restarts. So you might have thought it was off but it was in fact rebooting. Sitting in a closed bag while running would cause it to get very hot.

joechiazza

PostMon Mar 31, 2014 10:11 pm

I've accidentally pressed the power button while putting it in my bag and it heated up to be about a million degrees. Nothing was wrong with the fan. It was just on in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sean mclennan

PostMon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 pm

This would be a feature request I'd like. A power save/auto-off setting that would shut down the camera after say 5 min. (when not recording obviously)

joechiazza

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 am

sean mclennan wrote:This would be a feature request I'd like. A power save/auto-off setting that would shut down the camera after say 5 min. (when not recording obviously)

User sets the power mode though. Yeah that's a great idea.

Nick Bedford

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 12:35 am

The auto restart thing is annoying and shouldn't happen. I'll hold the power button and a moment later it fires up again after I've let go of the button.

I've had my Pocket camera restart after turning off and the camera then heats up because I've got it sitting on a poor heat conducting surface.

Blackmagic needs to work on their firmware.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

sean mclennan

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 3:08 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:This would be a feature request I'd like. A power save/auto-off setting that would shut down the camera after say 5 min. (when not recording obviously)

Could be a bitch because it resets the iris on auto capable lenses when you switch it back on. Frankly I dislike things that turn themselves off when you are not paying attention. My wife has that feature......

Just like my Canons...it's a user option. Options are good. Besides, nothing stopping them for keeping the settings in memory, oooorrrrrrr, they could just power down the monitor and sensor. That alone would save most of the power draw and heat generation, ooooorrrr, change the way that long press reboots the camera to something more deliberate, like 5 seconds. There are ways to do this well.

Return to Cinematography