NAB 2014 bmcc update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

bhook

Re: NAB 2014 bmcc update

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:20 am

All things are relative Hicks. While you can afford $15K (you can afford $15K can't you?) and bemoan your association with people who can only afford $3K, you seem to completely miss the fact that people who can afford $60K are not really interested in your $15K entry level. I bet you've always had trouble playing well with the other children...bullied much in school?

Kholi Hicks

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:26 am

mhood wrote:All things are relative Hicks. While you can afford $15K (you can afford $15K can't you?) and bemoan your association with people who can only afford $3K, you seem to completely miss the fact that people who can afford $60K are not really interested in your $15K entry level. I bet you've always had trouble playing well with the other children...bullied much in school?

=[ That's weird, because my good friends that own Alexas and F35s borrow the lowly Pocket from me often to slap PL glass on for coverage.

For the record, I don't bemoan my association with people that can only afford 3K, I bemoan you and people like you. You and your ilk are the reason why people like Tom, John Brawley, Captain Hook, Adam, Frank, and more veer away from forums more often than not.

You think you're clever, fighting the good fight? What you're doing is destroying a network of absolutely free and valuable information. The people that can't afford more than three-grand for a camera let alone ONE grand can't afford school, so they come to forums to learn. I'm one of those people, I couldn't afford school and moved to Los Angeles on fifteen hundred cash AND without ANY prior knowledge of this industry. I learned everything from forums or going out to work for twenty-five or fifty dollars a day.

When it's all said and done, they'll be left with Mhood's and Theodore Prentices, people that don't give an iota of useful information back to the community. You just bottom feed and destroy the online community for everyone else.

But hey, on behalf of the community that you're going to be left to advise, thank you for not contributing.

Enjoy yourself, man.
Kholi Hicks

Jason Greene

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:34 am

Kholi - please don't quote these folks. It totally defeats my ignore list settings, which are otherwise quite effective at silencing (for me) useless posts. Thanks.

Theodore Prentice

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:36 am

oh darn

Theodore Prentice

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 2:16 am

last one kholi.. i swear

"people see the images, not the camera..." Kholi Hicks, 2014

I do seriously want this to get back on track to the bmcc firmware!!!!

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 3:57 am

Kholi wrote:
mhood wrote:All things are relative Hicks. While you can afford $15K (you can afford $15K can't you?) and bemoan your association with people who can only afford $3K, you seem to completely miss the fact that people who can afford $60K are not really interested in your $15K entry level. I bet you've always had trouble playing well with the other children...bullied much in school?

=[ . I learned everything from forums or going out to work for twenty-five or fifty dollars a day.[/quote

willingness to work that miniscule day rate is what is hurting this industry....that and every noob who thinks they can learn how to make images from reading forums then convincing clients they can do the work for less.....

Eugene Carter

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 4:30 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:http://vimeo.com/90794067

oh darn

Ok, I'm just going to shut up now and quit giving BMD a hard time. Don't want prices to fall before I can dump...uh, BMD, you're awesome, I don't care if I get another update, thanks for everything...

*slowly backs out of thread, reaching for the ebay bookmark*

Kyle Gordon

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 4:41 am

Kholi's images speak for themselves.

Trolls may think they are right, but they are trolls.

The silent majority of people reading this thread can tell the difference.
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

dustylense

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 6:30 am

It's such a tough situation. There is no doubt that the BMD cameras can deliver an image that 99% of us have yearned for. There is no doubt that we want cameras to be as affordable as they can be. But there is also no doubt that BMD has had their issues delivering this to market. Wether it be delays or bad units the story is told and set in stone.

It obviously leads to great passion and passionate posts. I honestly think that BMD needs to slow down and work on what existing products they have and work on being more fourth coming about what they don't have. And lately what they don't have is a confidence in manufacturing cameras. There are obviously issues be it shipping and shipping working units. The frustration is all over the boards. And the silence from BMD is deafening to some.

I seriously hope BMD has a low showing at NAB. If they announce a new camera I personally will be lost on them. If they do announce a new camera, it better be a camera in a higher bracket but they would HAVE to deliver without issues. ON time and as promised. No "Shipping this July". But my true hope is that they take a breath and a break from diamond awards and announce that they intend to support the existing cameras and fix the issues within them and work at making units delivered work without issue.

I feel that BMD is at a serious stage at a camera maker. If they can't address the issues with the 4K, the bad units shipping, delays and so on, they might have a hard time moving forward as a camera maker.

With that here is a note to BMD..."Dear BMD. You already have an image that surpasses all cameras in their respective price range. In some cases, your cameras compete with cameras that are 20x the price. We are happy when the cameras work. We aren't happy when we get cameras that have fault. We would love to hear from you exciting news of firmware that elevate our cameras both in image and user ability. Even if we have to ship our existing cameras to you for some hardware component exchange, many of us are willing. But if you continue down the path you're on releasing new camera announcements every year and take a year to deliver only for us to receive questionable products, I'm afraid that I will have to move on and I'm positive many feel the same. We don't expect miracles but we will take whatever you can give to enhance what we have in our hands. In other words it's time for you, Blackmagic Design, to plug the holes that are leaking water into the boat. If you don't, were all gonna sink and some of us will swim to the other boat we see over yonder".........

benjaminreece

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 6:36 am

This is such a sad thread. I've never seen so many complaints about such awesome technology. The Gh4 is awesome, the BMCC is awesome. Kholi is awesome. BMCC / BMPC / Etc will get updates, people need to chill and stop calling names.

Things are awesome! Let's encourage each other and Blackmagic. This is so sad guys. Id be so sad if I were a blackmagic employee reading this :( if I were an engineer writing the firmware update I'd throw it in the trash bin and say eff it.

Daniel Schnitzer

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 10:44 am

benjaminreece wrote:Id be so sad if I were a blackmagic employee reading this :( if I were an engineer writing the firmware update I'd throw it in the trash bin and say eff it.

Don´t worry about BMD employees and engineers. They don´t even know about this forum, obviously.

joechiazza

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:05 pm

Today is day 1!!! Can't wait to see what BMD has up their sleeve! Hopefully it's fixed firmware before they release any new cameras :). Firmware wise all I really want is the new sharper prores debayer that they promised in the email they sent out when they lower the price of the bmcc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loch Phillipps

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 4:57 pm

[quote="benjaminreece"]This is such a sad thread. I've never seen so many complaints about such awesome technology. The Gh4 is awesome, the BMCC is awesome. Kholi is awesome.

Things are awesome!

I agree. Things are awesome. I'm getting flack from my post people about all the syncing they have to do with the audio, but none at all about the picture. The look of the BMCC is great. And take it from a guy who has shot plenty of SD in Africa, we are lucky to be living in this DSLR age. It's so great to run and gun and come back with beautiful images. I want an update for the audio too, but I'm also genuinely happy that BM burst upon the scene with the BMCC and that I got one. Things are great and they could be greater.
Loch Phillipps

JerryBruck

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 5:22 pm

benjaminreese is actually Yoko Ono -- or is it Stevie Wonder?

Theodore Prentice

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 7:17 pm

NYCcomposer wrote:Kholi's images speak for themselves.

Trolls may think they are right, but they are trolls.

The silent majority of people reading this thread can tell the difference.

cool, except

when you have a guy 1st claim "alot of people are going to be disappointed with the gh4" a month or so ago, then say he *had* one pre-ordered but canceled after one video (with non-finalized beta firmware) two days ago -yeah

then, his complete and obvious misunderstanding the fs-700 (really, you dont get that the internal codec and what is coming out of hdmi are virtually the same thing?) and trying to school people with this example? -yeah

on to the "its not really uncompressed" coming out the the gh4, and the "10 bit 4:2:2 wont make a difference"
.. kind of scary honestly that people take this guys word for truth, but :shrug: -ahh, yeah

last but not least, the whole "It's great when gear costs too much for a certain demographic, keeps the noise levels down." which insults EVERY bmd camera owner.

if you are truly out to school people, why all the elitist name calling?

if thats the kind of thing you follow, well, then good for you.

Better you learn your stuff, and think for yourself, than try to look cool while spreading misinformation.

Eugene Carter

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Back to the BMCC update...

It seems the Blackmagic Design press conference will be held on Monday, April 7th at 9:30am (PDT). Any chance of them making an announcement regarding the promised updated in the email Grant sent out months ago for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera?

http://www.nabshow.com/2014/newsroom/news-conferences/

joechiazza

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Awesome ! Good to know!

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Has anyone ( who are at NAB) scoped out any posters or indications at any new products?

I remember last year the new cams were leaked the day before, via some dark, blurry, "paparazzi" style shots.

If anything, tomorrow night will reveal lots.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

benwalterdirector

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 6:31 am

I was wondering : do you think that more than a software update, BMD could drop the price for their pocket camera ? I'm working with the cinema camera on low-budget features and really need the pocket as a B cam.

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 9:59 am

I don't think there's much room for price drops on the pocket cam. But if BMD was to announce a successor to the pocket, e.g. a 4k pocket cam, or a 60 fps version, that would surely impact street prices for the little one.

Tim Callaghan

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 1:02 pm

There's definitely a price gap between the models that could be squeezed into. It would make sense as BM could then keep iterating by deprecating the old model, price dropping the most recent and keep churning out new products. I hope they do.

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Once they established a base modell like the pocket cinema camera, it should be much less of an investement to create an updated "mark II" version that adresses (some of) the shortcommings of the first incarnation. As a owner of the original modell i'd be somewhat pissed to see that happen, but i acknowledge that it would make sense for the manufacturer to generate additional revenue for a fraction of the original investment.

So it's not really the question _if_ there will be a new BMD camera, but only _when_ we will see it.

Kholi Hicks

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:
cool, except

when you have a guy 1st claim "alot of people are going to be disappointed with the gh4" a month or so ago, then say he *had* one pre-ordered but canceled after one video (with non-finalized beta firmware) two days ago -yeah

I pre-ordered day one. I always pre-order anything I consider interesting JUST IN CASE it turns out to be worth buying. In the GH4s case, I wanted to take the camera out, use it, and hopefully assist GH4 users with information, as well as build out at LUT For R10 to help GH4 users get into Resolve.

I don't feel like it's worth buying.

then, his complete and obvious misunderstanding the fs-700 (really, you dont get that the internal codec and what is coming out of hdmi are virtually the same thing?) and trying to school people with this example? -yeah

on to the "its not really uncompressed" coming out the the gh4, and the "10 bit 4:2:2 wont make a difference"
.. kind of scary honestly that people take this guys word for truth, but :shrug: -ahh, yeah

FS700's video processing originally occurs at a greater bit-depth than 10-bit. To make a MAJOR difference in image quality (major meaning visually noticeable when comparing internal to external) you really need to pull information from as close to uncompressed as possible.

I'm okay with being wrong, but I'm pretty sure the GH4 = 10-bit processing for video at the start. The last step is AVCHD, just like the rest of Panasonics existing large sensor cameras, and AVCHD is extremely efficient. The differences you should note recording the LESS COMPRESSED (not uncompressed, completely misleading) 10-bit 422 signal:

- Color Depth
- Slightly more detail retention
- Less motion artifacting

The overall image can only be as good as the camera's RAW stills implementation, and we've already had the video and stills compared as "very close/similar".

All goes back to my point: you can't escape the base. But, I guess we'll see.

last but not least, the whole "It's great when gear costs too much for a certain demographic, keeps the noise levels down." which insults EVERY bmd camera owner.

if you are truly out to school people, why all the elitist name calling?

if thats the kind of thing you follow, well, then good for you.

Better you learn your stuff, and think for yourself, than try to look cool while spreading misinformation.

I clarified pretty well above, I'm not talking about everyone, just specifically guys like you. It's hard for me to separate you from others because you're just that loud. Congratulations, though, as you've accomplished what you set out to do: make yourself heard/read.

So, no, every BMD camera owner shouldn't be offended by it, just you town criers that make it bad for everyone else, again, as I stated above.

Affordable gear is wonderful, good, and great. But, I guess you can't have the wonderful, good, and great without a little horrible trailing behind it.

Now, I assume you're a fellow of your word, which you've broken several times in this thread already by not returning to subject (which you called for more than once) or using PMs, but I think you can follow your own lead and let it go... maybe, probably not.
Kholi Hicks

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Jason Greene wrote:Kholi - please don't quote these folks. It totally defeats my ignore list settings, which are otherwise quite effective at silencing (for me) useless posts. Thanks.

Yay! I'm not the only one. :)
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Kholi Hicks

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
Jason Greene wrote:Kholi - please don't quote these folks. It totally defeats my ignore list settings, which are otherwise quite effective at silencing (for me) useless posts. Thanks.

Yay! I'm not the only one. :)

>.< Sorry, guys. I did it again.
Kholi Hicks

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Anywho...tomorrow's gonna be exciting, I'm sure. I hope they announce new cameras for end of the year or 2015, I hope they announce/release killer new uniplatform firmware for the current cameras, and maybe even BMD-serviceable sensor upgrades or whatever. Obviously, BMD's not the only company I'll be watching, but I am very interested in what they have planned for NAB this week. Hopefully some troll-silencing bombshells will be dropped, but trolls will be trolls no matter what, so...cheers, BMD!

Kholi Hicks

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 4:16 pm

I can't believe Sony's on my to-see list... it's'a new age. A7S sounds incredibly interesting.

And, yeah, I hope BMD announces new cams (at any cost) for many reasons not related to gear mongering. xP
Kholi Hicks

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Yeah, exactly. And, I'm in the same boat with Sony. How dare they announce something sexy finally. Maybe they'll finally get it right and announce a cinema camera that doesn't acquire footage that looks like cheap video. Did i say that out loud?

brent k

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 4:55 pm

A new set of cameras would be scary to me, because it may mean that the previous cameras are now end-of-life. My current BMPC4K is not working due to the FPN, so are we going to be able to send in our new cameras for one of these new cameras, or are we SOL?

David

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:08 pm

I love my bmcc ef. But I'm thinking I'd like to try the mft route. So any camera released that results in the price of those puppies plummeting even further on the second hand market then its all good for me.

If that upset's some of you guys that paid 2 or 3k for your cameras... well, tough! Its a hard world out there. :D
David Daniel
Dilettante

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:11 pm

brent k wrote:A new set of cameras would be scary to me, because it may mean that the previous cameras are now end-of-life. My current BMPC4K is not working due to the FPN, so are we going to be able to send in our new cameras for one of these new cameras, or are we SOL?

Pretty sure BMD will announce the end of legacy support for any of their products. They have announced several times "cool new stuff" is coming, in terms of firmware, for all the current cameras. New cameras means pushing at RED, Canon, Panasonic and Sony to offer less expensive gear that provide more bang for the buck. Bring it, BMD.

sean mclennan

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:Pretty sure BMD will announce the end of legacy support for any of their products.

This would make no sense what so ever. Why would they do that?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:34 pm

A humble request for more people to add their website and blog URLs to their sigs. Searching Google using only full names usually isn't helpful without more data (location, etc.).

I'd love to see examples of peoples' work, or read what they have to say on video-related (and other) topics.

Thanks in advance.

-

Samjack

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 6:59 pm

The problem with BMD this year, unlike previous years, is that there are rivals selling very good cameras at low cost.

Soeren Mueller

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:15 pm

benjaminreece wrote:This is so sad guys. Id be so sad if I were a blackmagic employee reading this :( if I were an engineer writing the firmware update I'd throw it in the trash bin and say eff it.

Amen to that.. being a software engineer myself I can totally relate to that.. so my hats off to them, that's what I find most admirable about them.. maybe it's also part of aussie culture... so cheers to all the mates from BMD! ;)

And thanks to Kholi for some blunt and true words.. guess the good ole DVX days are gone (regarding online forums) ;(

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:40 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
Jason R. Johnston wrote:Pretty sure BMD will announce the end of legacy support for any of their products.

This would make no sense what so ever. Why would they do that?

I meant if BMD were to stop supporting older products they would tell us about it before they do it. I read what I wrote and, yeah, it was confusing. Sorry :)

sean mclennan

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:47 pm

lol, ok that makes more sense. It's a 4 coffee day, isn't it ;)

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:57 pm

sean mclennan wrote:lol, ok that makes more sense. It's a 4 coffee day, isn't it ;)

Frak yes. I'm gonna go drown myself in Chinese buffet. "Because I'm happyyy...clap along if you feel like a room without a roof...because I'm happyyy...clap along if you feel that happiness is the truth..."

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 11:04 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:Yeah, exactly. And, I'm in the same boat with Sony. How dare they announce something sexy finally. Maybe they'll finally get it right and announce a cinema camera that doesn't acquire footage that looks like cheap video. Did i say that out loud?

I watched Sony’s presentation this afternoon and it included a few seconds of sample video from the A7s. The feed was from sonyalpharumors so was very low quality but they were brave enough to show it on a big screen at the presentation.
Rick Lang

Jules Bushell

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Another stills camera? That's so yesterday ;)

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Theodore Prentice

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 12:29 am

best laugh ive had in ages.

good luck to those wanting to "follow" the guy claiming that *uncompressed* video "isnt really" -

they say ignorance is bliss...

so here we are.. moments away from finding out if BMD delivers any updates to the camera that started it all...

Theodore Prentice

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 2:26 am

a7s.. no internal 4k.... ack!!!!

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 2:43 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:a7s.. no internal 4k.... ack!!!!

Another optional piece of gear that wasn't specified if it was like the GH4 YAGH that needs to feed a recorder or if the Sony gear was an actual 4K HDMI recorder. The latter may not be too bad, but apparently it is 8bit internal and 8bit external. I've seen lots of footage now and it can look very nice, but I'm wary about grading 8bit in general after my experiences with my current (HV20) camera.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Theodore Prentice

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:19 am

It looks to be an interesting cam Rick
this year the gh4 pushes most of my buttons, and will be a welcome addition to the family.

I dont mind the external recorder, i think it makes sense to keep the bits you dont need all the time separate.
the gh4 wins for me with the lightweight internal 4k recording for those times when you dont want (or need an external recorder)

at first glance, sony dropped the ball on that one, but we will see!

sean mclennan

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:25 am

rick.lang wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:a7s.. no internal 4k.... ack!!!!

Another optional piece of gear that wasn't specified if it was like the GH4 YAGH that needs to feed a recorder or if the Sony gear was an actual 4K HDMI recorder. The latter may not be too bad, but apparently it is 8bit internal and 8bit external. I've seen lots of footage now and it can look very nice, but I'm wary about grading 8bit in general after my experiences with my current (HV20) camera.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Sony isn't stupid...they're obviously going to protect their professional series just as Canon has done. Not going to cannibalize their own user base.

AdrianSierkowski

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:47 am

Don't forget, the Sony camera goes way up in sensor size, as well as ISO. Did you see the insanely high ISOs that thing shoots? Also given it's FF it's something well suited to many drones, or situations where you need to be a little more innocuous. It's a nice little camera, 4K is great, but the SLOG, the SLOG is the REAL selling point of it, even if it's only 8bits I think that's going to really perform well if well implemented. Also works as a 4K Compliment to the F55 for certain insert shots I'm sure.
And like every other camera before it, so and so will use it for such and such which means it can do this and that.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:54 am

AdrianSierkowski wrote:Don't forget, the Sony camera goes way up in sensor size, as well as ISO. Did you see the insanely high ISOs that thing shoots? Also given it's FF it's something well suited to many drones, or situations where you need to be a little more innocuous. It's a nice little camera, 4K is great, but the SLOG, the SLOG is the REAL selling point of it, even if it's only 8bits I think that's going to really perform well if well implemented. Also works as a 4K Compliment to the F55 for certain insert shots I'm sure.
And like every other camera before it, so and so will use it for such and such which means it can do this and that.

Hell yeah. A7S looks killer.

I re-watched the YouTube Sony video a good eight times so far, re-loading it right now.
Kholi Hicks

AdrianSierkowski

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:57 am

I was just joking on facebook at shooting everything at f128-- as a pinhole camera-- then I realized, that may be a brilliant idea to try-- maybe go for something ghostly, with multiple pin-holes-- even at night at those ISOs may be doable.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:59 am

Half of that YouTube video's at a high ISO, and they could have just shot 400 wide open and still gotten an image.

I'm not a huge lowlight person, but that's pretty impressive for a youTube 4K Upload.
Kholi Hicks

ClaytonMoore

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:http://vimeo.com/90794067

oh darn

That is pretty impressive for sure. Are you aware of what you can do with the internally recorded 8 bit 4.2.0 - 4k files? 4k is great for aquisition of course but its not anywhere near any viable broadcast medium at this point so as far as your deliverables in 4k, beyond a few short YouTube videos its going to be about downsampling what you shoot to 1920x1080 to deliver your work.

It turns out however that there is more in this then just more pixels.

Let me quote from EOSHD:

"Actually the theory is 8bit 4:2:0 4K material from this camera can be taken through a workflow in post that converts it to 10bit 4:4:4 1080p – with all the smoother tonality, better colour and workflow advantages that format brings. This is a big leap for 1080p based on the much more expensive C300 which only does 8bit 4:2:2."

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12140/disc ... -10bit-444
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography