BMPCC used throughout TV show Dallas

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Greg Lee

BMPCC used throughout TV show Dallas

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 pm

Came across this and hadn't seen anyone post it. Pretty amazing that they're using the Pocket so much on a major network show...

http://library.creativecow.net/kaufman_ ... Charters/1

Dustin Boswell

Re: BMPCC used throughout TV show Dallas

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 pm

lotta interesting rigs in there.
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

Thomas Thiele

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 12:58 pm

The camera isn't perfect. We hate that it can't format cards.

Yeah.
BMPCC, Lumix G3, GF3
pana 7-14, SLRM 12/T1.6, sigma 19, pana 20/1.7, pana 14-42, pana 45-150,
pentacon auto 29/2.8, 50/1.8, 135/2.8.

David Dearing

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Isn't it amazing that you can complement an $80,000 camera (fully rigged) with a $2000 camera (fully rigged) and made a seamless product for broadcast HD television?? I mean, seriously. I find that absolutely amazing. Judging from this article, if the Alexa suddenly exploded into 1000 pieces, I really don't think they'd stop production. Just whip out the BMPCC and fire away. Amazing.
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

leepatterson

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm

I remember him being at best bemused and if not a little dismissive of the BMPCC when presented with it in London (http://www.fstopacademy.com/blog/testin ... ly-part-1/). I love when you encounter an intellect that reasons into a position and can therefor reason out of it when new information is at hand. He is a class act and his openness to change is fantastic/refreshing.

Theodore Prentice

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 8:33 pm

c131frdave wrote:Isn't it amazing that you can complement an $80,000 camera (fully rigged) with a $2000 camera (fully rigged) and made a seamless product for broadcast HD television?? I mean, seriously. I find that absolutely amazing. Judging from this article, if the Alexa suddenly exploded into 1000 pieces, I really don't think they'd stop production. Just whip out the BMPCC and fire away. Amazing.

Youre dreaming, and you have 0 idea how much the pocket is actually used or how many shots are actually in the final cut.

Judging from the article there is no way that would happen(keep filming with the pocket), because he says so himself.

bhook

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 8:38 pm

What the Pocket seems to have replaced are the GoPros they were using "throughout TV show Dallas".

Matthew Silver

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 9:12 pm

mhood wrote:What the Pocket seems to have replaced are the GoPros they were using "throughout TV show Dallas".

It seems like they also use it for interior auto shots - when they're not shooting in a limo. We actually use our pocket for ACam on our auto interior shoots with talent and have a great deal of success with it. We switched from using a Red to the pocket because it's a hell of a lot easier, faster, and less cumbersome with little change in overall image quality.

Matthew

Dustin Boswell

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 pm

I think it's really cool because I am planning to use my BMPCC on a project I'm working on specifically to shoot inside a car - and make it interesting (It's inherently difficult to make shooting inside of a car interesting, as the size of the camera & crew sometimes forces you to modify the car - which is out of the low budget range unfortunately).
Dustin Boswell

Vince Gaffney

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:
c131frdave wrote:Isn't it amazing that you can complement an $80,000 camera (fully rigged) with a $2000 camera (fully rigged) and made a seamless product for broadcast HD television?? I mean, seriously. I find that absolutely amazing. Judging from this article, if the Alexa suddenly exploded into 1000 pieces, I really don't think they'd stop production. Just whip out the BMPCC and fire away. Amazing.

Youre dreaming, and you have 0 idea how much the pocket is actually used or how many shots are actually in the final cut.

Judging from the article there is no way that would happen(keep filming with the pocket), because he says so himself.

What is it that you actually do? I mean when you're not here doubting and criticizing and chastising. Do you own any of the BMD cameras? Do you shoot anything or are you a full time troll? I don't understand your existence or your point.

I used the pocket in a package of national commercials this past December and the footage was cut in to all of them. The A cam was an F3 recording to a KiPro mini. Both cameras had Super Speed MKii's. The colorist said the footage need a little extra work, but the camera positions made it worthwhile.

AdrianSierkowski

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 11:52 pm

First time I used my pocket in a car involved me hooked to the side of my own F150 leaning out the window, with the camera pointing in because the director "just though" of the shot. Thankfully we were at a wicked idle forward in the middle of the desert so there wasn't much in the way of worry for oncoming traffic.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Dustin Boswell

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 12:18 am

AdrianSierkowski wrote:First time I used my pocket in a car involved me hooked to the side of my own F150 leaning out the window, with the camera pointing in because the director "just though" of the shot. Thankfully we were at a wicked idle forward in the middle of the desert so there wasn't much in the way of worry for oncoming traffic.

Oh man, that reminds me of having a Cam Op on top of my SUV - we needed a very high up moving shot but did not have the budget or insurance for a Crane/Jib.

Cost of removing footprints from top of my car $5, 5dMkIII with lens & tripod $4500, Scaring the crap out of a Cam Op & Getting the shot:Priceless.
Dustin Boswell

David Dearing

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:

Why do you have to be such an ass? I mean seriously. Do you think it makes you look smart? Perhaps you think it makes you better than the rest of us? There's no reason to be a dick.
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 2:17 am

Vince Gaffney wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:

What is it that you actually do? I mean when you're not here doubting and criticizing and chastising. Do you own any of the BMD cameras? Do you shoot anything or are you a full time troll? I don't understand your existence or your point.

I used the pocket in a package of national commercials this past December and the footage was cut in to all of them. The A cam was an F3 recording to a KiPro mini. Both cameras had Super Speed MKii's. The colorist said the footage need a little extra work, but the camera positions made it worthwhile.

the same thing you do, was in the first 50% to take delivery of a bmcc (at original price) bought a pocket too, which got returned.
Have shot national and internationally aired commercials, music vids, and have worked on numerous hollywood budgeted films with universally known directors, dps, editors, actors, etc..

Happy now.
Really, does any of that validate my opinion? Make you feel like a big shot? Want to go tit for tat?

You guys call people trolls, yet ATTACK at will with ZERO accountability from the mods.

Notice i didnt ask what you do.. cuz i dont give a rats....

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 2:18 am

c131frdave wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:

Why do you have to be such an ass? I mean seriously. Do you think it makes you look smart? Perhaps you think it makes you better than the rest of us? There's no reason to be a dick.

And another...

Whats the point of forum rules when they are only enforced in a one way direction...

Instead of taking a shot at answering my response you go directly to this BS, which is SO common, but ... whatever...

Vince Gaffney

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 2:52 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:/quote]

You have zero cred. Carry on.

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 2:54 am

will do

but if you work in this biz at the level you claim, you know every bit of my post was true.
you don like it

i dont care..

Jules Bushell

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 2:55 am

House was shot on DSLRs so why not the Pocket for Dallas?

Just the thing is so tiny, maybe the actors think it's a toy until someone tells them? ;)

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

AdrianSierkowski

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 4:38 am

House was not shot on a DSLR. An Episode of house was shot on a DSLR as it was the smallest/best camera for that specific situation.

One of my fav times, btw, was shooting with an SR3 and a periscope lens system in a car-- that was very interesting-- if you could get over shooting at a T7.1 I think.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

David Dearing

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:
And another...

Whats the point of forum rules when they are only enforced in a one way direction...

Instead of taking a shot at answering my response you go directly to this BS, which is SO common, but ... whatever...

Just trying to help you to become a better human being. Clearly I have failed. :(
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

David Dearing

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Oh, and by the way, the quote from the article was:

"Would I commit to shooting A camera with it? Probably not, but around moving vehicles, the camera has a huge pay-off. "

The word "probably" doesn't mean "no, absolutely not". It means probably not. But clearly he left open the possibility. And I stand by my belief (not fact, my personal belief) that he would use it as an A camera if his Alexa blew up. In fact, I think they only thing keeping him using it more than he does is a freaked out exec producer screaming "why the heck is our DP using a $1000 point and shoot instead of the $80000 Alexa we bought??" I think the guy is gradually introducing it to get everyone comfortable with it.

"Every episode" has some footage shot with the BMPCC this season. Impressive, I don't care what you say.
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

AdrianSierkowski

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 4:46 pm

I highly doubt they bought the Alexa. That's a rental, with backup bodies often, depending on their insurance and bond requirements-- though I agree inthe moment where the Alexa is either otherwise engaged, or something horrible happens, if the pocket would work, myself and just about any other DP would use it to make the day.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm not sure why this thread went so downhill but this name calling/bashing will stop or warnings, if not further actions, will take place. Keep it clean and stay on topic.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 6:53 pm

c131frdave wrote:Oh, and by the way, the quote from the article was:

"Would I commit to shooting A camera with it? Probably not, but around moving vehicles, the camera has a huge pay-off. "

The word "probably" doesn't mean "no, absolutely not". It means probably not. But clearly he left open the possibility. And I stand by my belief (not fact, my personal belief) that he would use it as an A camera if his Alexa blew up. In fact, I think they only thing keeping him using it more than he does is a freaked out exec producer screaming "why the heck is our DP using a $1000 point and shoot instead of the $80000 Alexa we bought??" I think the guy is gradually introducing it to get everyone comfortable with it.

"Every episode" has some footage shot with the BMPCC this season. Impressive, I don't care what you say.

No. Footage from Alexa and RED are of course much better and solid than any BMD camera. Thats why they still cost 20x more. If money isnt a problem, why would you shoot with a cheaper camera instead of a better one? The footage from our BMD cameras is indeed great but Alexa is even better. Simple as that.
Ulysses Paiva

Jules Bushell

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:No. Footage from Alexa and RED are of course much better and solid than any BMD camera. Thats why they still cost 20x more. If money isnt a problem, why would you shoot with a cheaper camera instead of a better one? The footage from our BMD cameras is indeed great but Alexa is even better. Simple as that.

Wow. This is not entirely a correct statement in my opinion. Misses out too many aspects.
They are all so good nowadays, cameras, can the audience really tell the difference in the images most of the time?

I think its support, reliability, familiarity with a certain platform and workflow, more features that make shooting easier etc.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:Whats the point of forum rules when they are only enforced in a one way direction...

Which direction are you referring to? I have personally received several PMs from the moderator about winding you up. I imagine half the people on this forum have too.

As you should have, I think you are up to 4 or 5 public name callings Geoff, Ive not stooped to your level once in return.. this says far more about your character than anyone else's' - yet, not a single "warning" for you...

(and youre really quick with the "this is a real name forum" rule enforcement.. but you dont have to play by the rules now do you) -hijack over

Isnt it great that a small $1000 camera is being used on a major production!!!

AdrianSierkowski

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Aye it is. Though my favorite 1st and I fight over what use it is. She wants to use it as a crash cam but can't due to no overcrank. I'm just happy to have some interesting new places to put a camera-- like inside of a bathroom medicine cabinet for example.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 9:51 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:I'm just happy to have some interesting new places to put a camera-- like inside of a bathroom medicine cabinet for example.

:?
They arrest guys in New Jersey for that kind of stuff all the time :mrgreen:

AdrianSierkowski

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Good thing I moved from the east coast out to LA!
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Ulysses Paiva

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:
Ulysses Paiva wrote:No. Footage from Alexa and RED are of course much better and solid than any BMD camera. Thats why they still cost 20x more. If money isnt a problem, why would you shoot with a cheaper camera instead of a better one? The footage from our BMD cameras is indeed great but Alexa is even better. Simple as that.

Wow. This is not entirely a correct statement in my opinion. Misses out too many aspects.
They are all so good nowadays, cameras, can the audience really tell the difference in the images most of the time?

I think its support, reliability, familiarity with a certain platform and workflow, more features that make shooting easier etc.

Jules

I completely agree with you, Jules. I think we should stop worring about what cam to use and just shoot a GOOD project. Modern cameras are just good enough in the right hands. That from an audience point of view.

From our (technical) point of view, Alexa and RED are just better in almost every aspect, money aside. And if you have the option to shoot with it, of course you would shoot instead of a BMD camera, except for specific situations, like they are doing in Dallas series.

We gotta admit, for a camera that costs 20 times more, this should be at least expected its a better camera. The good thing is: with the BMCC you are close... not quite there, but close. The difference in image quality is very small comparing to the huge difference in price.
Ulysses Paiva

Return to Cinematography