Black hole noise? Maybe? I think?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Taz Goldstein

Black hole noise? Maybe? I think?

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 2:32 am

Got my 4K last week and put it to work on a corporate shoot this afternoon.

I've read plenty about the "black hole sun," and I've seen 'em in car headlights and street lights, but I wasn't expecting to see tiny black holes dancing on a shiny, reflective surface. At least, I THINK that's what I'm seeing. Can someone confirm this is the same issue, and not something unrelated? FYI, this particular video was shot in video mode, HD resolution.

For reference, here's where the dots are dancing. The ProRes original (trimmed) is linked below.

ProRes: http://d.pr/v/B4Ip/5CAeWy1Z
Taz Goldstein
Spinning Plates spinningplatesmovie.com - Now available on home video and digital download
Hand Held Hollywood handheldhollywood.com

Dustin Boswell

Re: Black hole noise? Maybe? I think?

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 4:01 am

I think it's either that those particular pixels are in portions of extreme overexposure and are causing a Black Dot issue (which is a known cause of the "Black Hole Sun" issue), or its dust/debris on the sensor or in the lenses.

perhaps test it out on another type of surface & check your lens/sensors cleanliness?
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

AdrianSierkowski

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 4:29 am

I wonder if this is just an issue going right to REC. I am kinda curious if they would've come up in Filmmode. But it probably is limited areas of over-exposure causing a black hole sun issue on a lower scale. Don't forget, something like an LED close up may be many times brighter than the sun you see in the sky, and a specular highlight like that may actually approach pretty close to a sun-ball level of exposure.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

APAIRUS

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 6:11 am

Its the same problem/is a sun spot. Just need to keep an eye out for it while you're shooting till when/if its ever addressed.
Bret Kalmbach

AdrianSierkowski

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 7:50 am

I kinda vaguely recall seeing something similar on some other CMOS system, but that was years ago, and it's 1AM. It might've been an early EX1, but I also am kind of pulling that out of my rear at present. I also can't recall if it was primarily tinted in any way.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Return to Cinematography