SSD TRIM / Dropped Frames issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mapas Depique

SSD TRIM / Dropped Frames issue

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi,

I recently have an issue with my Kingston hyperX 3K 240gb ssd, after one night of shooting raw 2,5k 25fps, i get dropped frames on every clips, but no problem before that.

I see that some ssd's need a trim function to do a proper erase so i put my ssd inside my Macbook pro ( take off the mac hdd and plug it with usb ) and lauch Trim Enabler, do a quick format, wait 5min and eject the disk but nothing change, dropped frames are always here on each clips.

Maybe i do something wrong or understand bad what trim is so any help is welcome ;)

Thx

Nehemiah Ellsperman

Re: SSD TRIM / Dropped Frames issue

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your issue.

After testing several Kingston HyperX SSDs for hundreds of hours, I can say I have never once seen this SSD drop frames. I would just try a normal format with exFAT or HFS+ and if you are still seeing issues afterwards then there must be a problem with just that isolated drive. There is no need to enable a manual TRIM function.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Hardware Certification Technician
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Mapas Depique

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Nehemiah Ellsperman wrote:Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your issue.

After testing several Kingston HyperX SSDs for hundreds of hours, I can say I have never once seen this SSD drop frames. I would just try a normal format with exFAT or HFS+ and if you are still seeing issues afterwards then there must be a problem with just that isolated drive. There is no need to enable a manual TRIM function.

Thx for your reply, when you say there is no need to enable a manual TRIM, did you mean on windows ?! Because on mac i see its a little bit different !!

Cheers

John Palaganas

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Would would someone detect drop frames? View the footage in real time? Even so, if shooting something static it would be almost impossible to see if it did skip a frame or two.

adamroberts

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 2:20 pm

John Palaganas wrote:Would would someone detect drop frames? View the footage in real time? Even so, if shooting something static it would be almost impossible to see if it did skip a frame or two.

The "REC" indicator on the camera flashes if it drops frames. If shooting RAW you will also see that there are missing frames in you folders (the number of files wont match the frame numbers).

Return to Cinematography