BMCC + MFT explained?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

oweninnes

BMCC + MFT explained?

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 2:07 am

All,

Is there somewhere/ a one-stop-shop which outlines everything I need to know about MFT mounting/ what lenses work/ will all m4-3 lenses adapt natively etc./ will speed boosters only accept certain lenses ?

I am new to the world of this kind of cinema camera's and am very happy to scour around for ages looking, but hoped someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

O

Dustin Boswell

Re: BMCC + MFT explained?

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 4:48 am

There isn't a one-stop-shop outline.

However:

The MFT lenses will mount to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT however it is not an Active MFT mount meaning that the electronic features (autofocus, auto iris, image stabilization) - they will Work however none of their electronics will work (Although for the BMCC I'd check the FAQ in the support section first).

On the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera however it has an Active mount meaning that the lenses on Blackmagic's FAQ in the support section work properly (autofocus, auto iris, image stabilization).

The Speedbooster's currently come in 2 different mounts for the Blackmagic Camera's:Nikon G (Nikon F mount with the ability to run the newer G lenses that do not have an aperture ring), and Leica R mount. You cannot mount a MFT lens to a Speedbooser because the speedbooster effectively magnifies the image on the sensor giving the FoV of S35 roughly - the lens would not cover the sensor and would Vignette.

The Beauty of the MFT Mount is that you can find adapters for pretty much any lens that will cover the sensor (even C Mounts, however I would not use a C mount lens on a BMCC in particular as the lens will not cover the sensor=vignetting).

Metabones has mentioned somewhere that they are working on a EF mount version, however I'm pretty sure it won't be a powered.

I will suggest though that you go with the Nikon G Mount Speedbooster, because Nikon Mounted lenses they are usable down the line on other branded camera's (RED, Canon,) in most cases (if it's vintage Nikon glass that is designed for 35mm stills lenses you're good, but some lenses only cover APS-C sized sensors), and you can buy many very popular lenses for the Nikon mount (The Zeiss ZFs, Classic Nikkors, and the Rokinon Cine lenses, Sigma's 18-35 1.8 etc.).

Hope I helped! 8-)
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

Kyle Gordon

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:43 am

Metabones has said that the MFT to EF mount WILL be self powered and power focus, aperture AND stabilization.

I'm waiting for it with a LOT of anticipation.

What they havent said is when they will release it, and therefore *IF* it will ever be released.

If you take them at their word, it's coming soon. But we all know the dangers of banking on products that are not yet shipping.

Still I have a lot of hope for it! Maybe NAB will bring new firmware, an active EF speedbooster AND a mosaic OLPF for the BMCC. Wouldnt THAT be great?
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

Dustin Boswell

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:52 am

NYCcomposer wrote:Metabones has said that the MFT to EF mount WILL be self powered and power focus, aperture AND stabilization.

I'm waiting for it with a LOT of anticipation.

What they havent said is when they will release it, and therefore *IF* it will ever be released.

If you take them at their word, it's coming soon. But we all know the dangers of banking on products that are not yet shipping.

Still I have a lot of hope for it! Maybe NAB will bring new firmware, an active EF speedbooster AND a mosaic OLPF for the BMCC. Wouldnt THAT be great?

It would be excellent - however I can see them running into issues over the fact that the EF mounts electronics are currently proprietary to Canon cameras + finding power for the EF electronics.

That is why I like fully manual lenses ^_^
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 am

Power is available from the pocket cam's active mount, and there is a basic communication between camera and lens, which could be "translated" to canons idiom. But for the dumb mft mount of the 2k5 camera you'd need a full set of controls at the speedbooster itself (like iris/zoom/focus buttons or rings) and a way to power the thing - sounds like building half a camera...

oweninnes

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:15 am

zombies8mypi wrote:Hope I helped! 8-)

Helps heaps!

Thankyou.

Return to Cinematography