Does This "Bokeh" Look Right?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Shane McGee

Does This "Bokeh" Look Right?

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 am

So I was filming some interviews for a documentary today with my new BMPCC and Sigma 18-35 1.8 with Metabones BMPCC Speedbooster and I noticed the background bokeh looked kinda funny...?

I was using a Genus Eclipse Vari ND as well, if that matters...

Is this just a characteristic of the lens or something...? Or is something off? You can see what i mean on the left side of the frame in the grass and poppy flowers...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfquO ... sp=sharing

AdrianSierkowski

Re: Does This "Bokeh" Look Right?

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:50 am

Well it's not very pretty- it may be an effect of the VariND. I don't use them myself because I don't want to deal with polarization issues (it's how they basically work), but I could see them effecting Bokeh. I'd try shooting a similar shot in your yard with and w/o the vari (rent some NDIRs)
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Shane McGee

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 am

AdrianSierkowski wrote:Well it's not very pretty- it may be an effect of the VariND. I don't use them myself because I don't want to deal with polarization issues (it's how they basically work), but I could see them effecting Bokeh. I'd try shooting a similar shot in your yard with and w/o the vari (rent some NDIRs)

Yeah, ill do some tests tomorrow...

I sold my old one (Lightcraft Workshop) because I hated the things it did to my 5D's image...but i got a new one a week or two ago after getting the BMPCC rig going, because I saw a lot of people recommended the Genus Eclipse one for it and just wanted to avoid a matte box for these run around, low profile kind of shooting...

Its so hard to see subtle stuff like this in my Zacuto EVF when i'm actually filming.

hmm...hopefully the average person won't notice... ;-(

AdrianSierkowski

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:15 am

I doubt they would in motion, Or at least they won't notice enough to have it detract from something interesting happening in the frame, ya know.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Dustin Boswell

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 5:24 am

It's a bit hard for me to tell since this is an ungraded / screenshotted file.

I think the bokeh there would be a bit more difficult to see or look different as there isn't that much contrast between that section and the background (neither in depth or in color).
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

Shane McGee

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 5:40 am

zombies8mypi wrote:It's a bit hard for me to tell since this is an ungraded / screenshotted file.

I think the bokeh there would be a bit more difficult to see or look different as there isn't that much contrast between that section and the background (neither in depth or in color).

If you download the image and open it full screen you might be able to see what i mean a little better maybe...thanks though!

adamroberts

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 8:02 am

Were you shooting wide open?

I've found that with my Zeiss primes if I used them with a Speed Booster and shot wide open I would get some blooming on the out of focus highlights. I no longer have the Speed Booster as I picked up some Zeiss Super 16mm Super Speed primes.

Shane McGee

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:30 am

adamroberts wrote:Were you shooting wide open?

I've found that with my Zeiss primes if I used them with a Speed Booster and shot wide open I would get some blooming on the out of focus highlights. I no longer have the Speed Booster as I picked up some Zeiss Super 16mm Super Speed primes.

Yeah I actually was...hmm...how much did you have to stop down to get it to go away?

adamroberts

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:48 am

Try closing down one stop. I found on my Zeiss 1.4/50 that if I shot at around f2 the blooming was less of an issue.

Without the Speed Booster there is some blooming at f1.4 but it seem the SB exaggerates it.

Return to Cinematography