URSA The world’s first user upgradable 4K digital film camer

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rado Stefanov

URSA The world’s first user upgradable 4K digital film camer

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Enjoy Image
Rado Stefanov

Rado Stefanov

Re: URSA The world’s first user upgradable 4K digital film c

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm

TC in and TC out . exchangeable PL B4 or EF mount. Shipping in July... They should not use july anymore. Bad stigma...
Rado Stefanov

ronhaley

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Rado wrote:TC in and TC out . exchangeable PL B4 or EF mount. Shipping in July... They should not use july anymore. Bad stigma...

Again, no mention of the year!

Richard Oakes

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:34 pm

SHIPPING JULY!! Ah ha ha ha I nearly fell off my chair!! Ha ha ha
Richard Oakes.

eyeball

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Is this a joke?

The Red One was, The world’s first upgradable 4K digital film camera"
This one is "user" upgradable? I think they are drawing a thin line here.
Some of the same ideas (lens mount) apply in the same way.

But I'm glad I'm sitting here with my useless BMPC4K while reading about the next fiasco from a company that likes launching (or at least announcing) products but not finishing them.

Basically, they are selling us a Red Scarlet 3 years after the Scarlet came out. Okay, not exactly, but at least the Red cameras have been fully functional and Red as a company have always been highly communicative and interactive and...

AValive

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 pm

AValive: Integrating Digital Audio and Video since 1992.
www.AValive.com

sean mclennan

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:35 pm

eyeball wrote:Is this a joke?

The Red One was, The world’s first upgradable 4K digital film camera"
This one is "user" upgradable? I think they are drawing a thin line here.
Some of the same ideas (lens mount) apply in the same way.

But I'm glad I'm sitting here with my useless BMPC4K while reading about the next fiasco from a company that likes launching (or at least announcing) products but not finishing them.

Basically, they are selling us a Red Scarlet 3 years after the Scarlet came out. Okay, not exactly, but at least the Red cameras have been fully functional and Red as a company have always been highly communicative and interactive and...

The sensor is part of the mount. Users are changing the sensor/mount together, in the field. No, RED doesn't do this.

I'm disappointed this only does 60p at 1080. Great it does so at UHD (not calling it 4K, cause it's not 4K) but it hold be able to handle 120fps at 1080. We know the sensor is capable of 150. That's really my only disappointment. Otherwise this is the camera they should have released as their Production Camera.

It really does seem like the BMCC and BM4K were development platforms that are being left behind now. Which is also disappointing.

Danny Kim

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Caution to those ordering from AValive. While you might not get charged, you will get a $6,000 dollar authorization hold put on your card for 30 days if you pre-order.

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Sean, the URSA is beginning with 60 fps but Grant indicated they will go higher. We know the HD image is currently generated by downscaling from the 4K image and that's why they are the same frame rate. The sensor will go faster as you know and Grant says the processor and cooling system can go beyond 100 fps for 4K/HD. If they also decided one day to use a crop of the sensor rather than downscaling, then they could exceed 200 fps in HD. That could be done in firmware assuming we see future updates.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 11:15 pm

The prose on the Ursa child site is almost comical. Nearly every other sentence is "That means..." and ends with an exclamation point. It's as if they they fed a 10-year old lots of Halloween candy and then asked for a few pages of raves about their snazzy new toy. :)

That said, it looks impressive on paper. We'll see how it pans out in reality whenever they get around to shipping them. My guess is that they'll do their usual trick of shipping one or two pre-production models to beta testers in July.

I wonder if, given all of the effort they appear to have put into the interface, they actually upgraded their sound support to something better than the audio equivalent of ProRes LT. The Resolve 11 stuff doesn't mention much about audio, leading me to guess that the answer is "no" though.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

sean mclennan

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 11:19 pm

rick.lang wrote:Sean, the URSA is beginning with 60 fps but Grant indicated they will go higher. We know the HD image is currently generated by downscaling from the 4K image and that's why they are the same frame rate. The sensor will go faster as you know and Grant says the processor and cooling system can go beyond 100 fps for 4K/HD. If they also decided one day to use a crop of the sensor rather than downscaling, then they could exceed 200 fps in HD. That could be done in firmware assuming we see future updates.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Based on today Rick, that assumption would be incorrect. I had faith in this little company and appreciated their pioneering spirit. They've let their users down however. I won't buy anything from BM that isn't completed. So maybe, someday in the future, when all the features are installed and actually working, I might pick up an URSA...but I won't be at the front of the line anymore.

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:25 am

Eventually, sure. But look at how far Red's gotten without forcing customers to buy everything again; you can get a Scarlet-X brain upgraded to a Dragon sensor, and use your existing peripherals (mags, power, display, i/o, etc) on it.

If the Ursa has enough headroom in processing power and throughput, then it ought to sustain some new sensor technology, possibly even a true 4K and and maybe higher dynamic range?
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Bradley Olsen

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:52 am

Dear Blackmagic,
I dig the new URSA camera, every year you do something to amaze me.
I do have a question though, if you're going to put a ND filter wheel in the broadcast version can't you make one for the EF and the PL versions too? This would make life so much simpler. I may have to get an URSA either way, but I'd prefer built in NDs.
Thanks!

Manu Gil

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:11 am

I would have preferred one SSD slot and one CFast slot. It's not late yet. :D

sean mclennan

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:34 am

Manu Gil wrote:I would have preferred one SSD slot and one CFast slot. It's not late yet. :D

The BM Hyperdeck can record out of the URSA on your SSDs. Granted, it's a $300 optional extra, but it will let you use SSDs instead of spending $$$ on Cfast2 cards.

dallascurrie

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:50 am

Here's a clip of a rep talking about it

Pavel Lavrov

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:51 am

The BM Hyperdeck can record out of the URSA on your SSDs. Granted, it's a $300 optional extra, but it will let you use SSDs instead of spending $$$ on Cfast2 cards.

What's the point of having 4k sensor then...? just sad... BM I wanted to love you.
Pavel L

Return to Cinematography