My thoughts on NAB and our current user situation.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

goodluckdesigns

My thoughts on NAB and our current user situation.

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:28 pm

I sit here at 12pm on a Monday writing this message on a forum, about a camera that I use almost daily. I never would have thought that my work would bring me to a user forum so often. Something about the BMCC draws me in (and apparently everyone else). Why do I care so much about this camera when it seems that the company who makes it so obviously doesn't care about me?

Law of Attraction.

We all love the BMCC, BMPCC, BMPC so much that we keep wishful thinking alive in hopes that black magic will update what we have already bought into. The oh-so obvious answer is that we were all beta testers... The URSA is obviously what the plan was all along.

I can't help feeling like a pawn in a larger plan to go after the queen. Black Magic has my business in the BMCC, but I don't know if I can stay a customer. When it comes time to upgrade, once I feel that I have gotten all the use that I can out of my BMCC, I don't think that I can come back. I think you all agree, this camera is awesome. Its a shame this company doesn't care about it.

-Steve
Good Luck Designs

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

Re: My thoughts on NAB and our current user situation.

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 pm

while I am with you on many points, I cannot agree the BMCC is awesome. It has too many unfixed/undelivered issues to be awesome. It has a nice image, but that is where it stops....the fact that you need to apply post fixes for image and audio do not make it a viable camera for the majority of my clients in the small market I serve.

What I most agree with you on is that this company has taken our money, left us with a product they do not sustain and try to keep going, refuse to be honest in communications with us, and are again dangling a carrot for us to buy into. Sounds alot like a camera-ponzi scheme if you ask me. they promise return is coming from our investments (meaning firmware updates to make it more viable), but instead they dangle the next new thing we should be buying from them.

goodluckdesigns

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:36 pm

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:while I am with you on many points, I cannot agree the BMCC is awesome. It has too many unfixed/undelivered issues to be awesome. It has a nice image, but that is where it stops....the fact that you need to apply post fixes for image and audio do not make it a viable camera for the majority of my clients in the small market I serve.

What I most agree with you on is that this company has taken our money, left us with a product they do not sustain and try to keep going, refuse to be honest in communications with us, and are again dangling a carrot for us to buy into. Sounds alot like a camera-ponzi scheme if you ask me. they promise return is coming from our investments (meaning firmware updates to make it more viable), but instead they dangle the next new thing we should be buying from them.

I agree with the second portion of your post 100%, I didn't want to sound too crazy in my initial offering but I do believe that we are the users of the "Google Glass Explorer" program of cameras. You pay a large sum to get the initial offering which is only to fund the final product.
Good Luck Designs

brent k

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:40 pm

The thing with the URSA is that it's advertising features that do not exist. These features were promised on the other cameras and never showed up, are we just supposed to believe they will be there in the next camera. Not to mention the FPN with that sensor. When the URSA ships in Feburary of next year probably, I can't help but think it will be the same BMPC4K I have, just in a different form factor. BFD in my opinion.

Kevin DeOliveira

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:49 pm

My professional patience has just been broken. Unbelievable that we don't yet have a firmware fix, but we have a new cam...

I've never seen a camera company pull a move this cold and out of touch.
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

Eugene Carter

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Make your voice heard... I'm sorry, but the time for us customers to be civil about this is over:

Demand communication here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20956

Return to Cinematography