Firmware Update Poll

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

William Carswell

Firmware Update Poll

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Different companies take different approaches related to software updates.

Some prefer to release a newer version once a sizable collection of fixes/improvements is accumulated; others supply updates on a more frequent and regular basis with fewer and less 'consequential' changes.

What release strategy would you like Blackmagic to follow?

Would you be interested in having Blackmagic post public beta versions?

Kyle Gordon

Re: Firmware Update Poll

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Whatever reasonable strategy they prefer would be fine with most of us. But they refuse to even lower themselves to SPEAK to us about when that might be. That's unacceptable.

How hard would it be to provide an update on the status of things?

I don't trust this company at all anymore.
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

bruce

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Don't say anything if you got nothing to say is the black magic approaches. They have not started on the update at all.

popcornflix

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 11:04 pm

I think part of the problem is that we lack focus in our demands. What starts out as complaints about defects (like black/purple sun spots) degenerates into wishful thinking for new features like higher frame rates.

IMHO, we should be pressuring BMD to provide fixes in two categories:

(1) Things that are defective on BMD cameras, but not defective on other cameras from Canon, Panasonic and Red. Things that customers have a reasonable expectation of working properly.

(2) Things specifically advertised and promised in writing, but not delivered;

For example:

Defects to correct:

• Black/purple sun spots on Cinema Camera and 4K
• Fixed Pixel Noise on 4K
• Lens flare grid on Pocket
• Rec709 red/orange color problems in Cinema Camera
• Accurate battery meter on Cinema, 4K and Pocket cameras

Advertised features not provided:

• RAW for 4K
• Audio Meters (advertised as "Professional Grade Audio")

There may be a few more, but if we stick to the things they've promised, and the things customers can reasonably expect, we may have some remedy if they ignore us. If we ask for things we're not entitled to (like new features) nobody will take us seriously.

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 11:34 pm

No, it is BMD who lacks focus. They know what the problems are, and have been from day 1. Instead of devoting time to fix them, and being honest about if they are even fixable, they have diverted attention to the new products in the line. They are using us to fund development for each new product with no desire to ever meet the marketing specs they set forth on each product.

So you can believe what you choose about them. I have been in disagreements with John Brawley about their motives, and been accused of offering conspiracy theories when I suggested they did a price drop on the bmcc to sell them out quicker (because I have believed from the begining they are moving on from it.) They know the hardware is crippled with regards to good audio, probably black spot issue and rec709 problems as well....so instead of being honest and admitting it, they string us along, convincing us that they will resolve issues soon so that we do not buy something else and replace the bmcc....even though that has been their plan all along.

And to prove my point...not a one of them will read this post and respond to it to tell me I am wrong.

Kyle Gordon

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 11:54 pm

popcornflix wrote:I think part of the problem is that we lack focus in our demands...

IMHO, we should be pressuring BMD to provide fixes in two categories:

(1) Things that are defective on BMD cameras, but not defective on other cameras from Canon, Panasonic and Red. Things that customers have a reasonable expectation of working properly.

(2) Things specifically advertised and promised in writing, but not delivered;

For example:

Defects to correct:

• Black/purple sun spots on Cinema Camera and 4K
• Fixed Pixel Noise on 4K
• Lens flare grid on Pocket
• Rec709 red/orange color problems in Cinema Camera
• Accurate battery meter on Cinema, 4K and Pocket cameras

Advertised features not provided:

• RAW for 4K
• Audio Meters (advertised as "Professional Grade Audio")

There may be a few more, but if we stick to the things they've promised, and the things customers can reasonably expect, we may have some remedy if they ignore us. If we ask for things we're not entitled to (like new features) nobody will take us seriously.

I agree entirely. I DO think the URSA will be a great camera. I don't expect them to give me one for free just because I bought a BMCC. I do expect them to make good on the promises tho.

I'm also a realist. I get that things take time, but we begged for information, and got none. We waited patiently for NAB, and they completely ignored us.

Then under heavy pressure, they issued a curt response, without any acknowledgement of our frustration, that cursorily said they'd fix some things in a numbered list, but no real depth in the answer, we still have questions. Does the new debayer fix the red orange issues in ProRes for example? We don't know.

And the response was stuck in the middle of a thread?

Why can't they post a sticky, maybe two days before NAB and say "Hey, we love you guys, we haven't forgotten you. We've got some very exciting new products coming in a couple days, but we're in beta on a firmware update for you guys too. We'll probably have more in a month."

I mean, imagine the love they'd have gotten and it wouldn't have cost them a thing.

So I agree with the original poster, let's stay targeted on the things we're entitled to. We're not entitled to a trade in, or high frame rates or anything. If they threw a new feature in, we'd be so thankful, but we shouldn't expect it, and that's FINE. Just give us the things you said you would, and fix the things that are broken, and treat us with just the slightest amount of professional respect - a few reasonable words is not too much to ask.

To those that may feel that even this is whining, let me suggest that it comes not only from people already owning this camera, but from the exact people who would be most likely to buy your next one. Or not.
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 pm

I will tell you why...because they lack the INTEGRITY it takes to give your word and keep it. They are no different than the marketing jerks I often shoot for....they will say anything to get you buy in, even if they never have plans of delivering on their word.

Not the maker of plans and promises, but rather the one who offers faithful service in small matters. This is the person who is most likely to achieve what is good and lasting. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to Cinematography