Subdivide this forum?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mac Jaeger

Subdivide this forum?

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Now there are two more camera lines announced, both bringing a lot of additional features that their ancestors don't have (cinema cam, pocket cam and production cam are actually very similar, despite having different sensor size & resolution, while the new kids have all kind of amazing new buzz...). It will be very confusing (and also somewhat frustrating) to have discussions about all those features gluttered in the same section of the forum.

So here's my plead: could we please have subforums for each camera line?

I don't believe that URSA or SCam useres care much about the whining of us legacy owners, still waiting for firmware updates to bring some of the features their cameras already have built in... ;-)

Alexander Arndt

Re: Subdivide this forum?

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:56 pm

we know that :)

Steve Holmlund

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Might make sense to add a "Firmware" (aka Firmwhere?) sub-forum. This might aggregate a lot of the quality issues/undelivered-promised-features threads in one place. For example, all the threads about delivery of RAW on the BMPC would go there since it must come from a Firmware update.

This of course assumes BMD continues with a unified firmware strategy.

When a new release comes out, the thread topic would start with "FirmTHERE...".
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Jules Bushell

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:Now there are two more camera lines announced, both bringing a lot of additional features that their ancestors don't have (cinema cam, pocket cam and production cam are actually very similar, despite having different sensor size & resolution, while the new kids have all kind of amazing new buzz...). It will be very confusing (and also somewhat frustrating) to have discussions about all those features gluttered in the same section of the forum.

So here's my plead: could we please have subforums for each camera line?

I don't believe that URSA or SCam useres care much about the whining of us legacy owners, still waiting for firmware updates to bring some of the features their cameras already have built in... ;-)

These forums are frustrating because a lot of the working people in the industry that can give great advice have been picked upon by posters and have left these forums.

These forums are frustrating because there are a small band of complainers who would probably complain about anything anyway, keep whining and then lowering to personal attacks on other posters.

I don't think subdividing will solve the issue of these forums quite often being an unpleasant experience.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 10:33 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:I don't think subdividing will solve the issue of these forums quite often being an unpleasant experience.

I don't think so either, but that's also not the intention.

Subdividing would e.g. make it a lot easier for Pocket cam owners to just scan the forum for the scarce news about their device, while URSA buyers would be able to discuss e.g. audio metering issues without the constant interruption from 4K owners reiterating the lack thereof in their respective gear. Et cetera.

Theodore Prentice

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:13 am

Jules Bushell wrote:These forums are frustrating because there are a small band of complainers who would probably complain about anything anyway, keep whining and then lowering to personal attacks on other posters.

Hi Jules, I have taken notice, that it is most often those "positive" "helpers" that resort to the condescending name calling far more often.
Ive gone so far as to start pointing that out in threads, which just results in being called a troll or some other not-so-polite name.

Return to Cinematography