So just got back from NAB....(Updates!)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

LoganStewartDP

So just got back from NAB....(Updates!)

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:03 am

Hey guys,
So whilst at NAB I had a chance to chat with 2 people from blackmagic. It seems that they were somewhat prepared for the "where the F*** is my firmware update" Apparently whilst building the URSA every hand on deck was put to use and although they had a firmware update somewhat ready for NAB they felt it wasn't ready enough. However what I've been told is that there will be 2 more planned to update existing cameras. The first will be within two weeks. It will include the long awaited better pro-res downsampling as well as some more ef lens compatibility and auto focusing for ef mount cameras. The other update which will come later (probably late summer if I had to guess) will include 4k raw for the BMPC and AUDIO METERS! YAAAYYYY... finally :|

I asked if the older cameras would be updated with the new features of the URSA like waveforms and such and was met with a "they're looking into it, but audio meters are definitely" The other person I talked to though, who wasn't as much of an engineer as the person I was talking to said that the older camera are "as they are."

The good news is that I'll probably sell my 2.5k and buy the URSA and that the current sensor only does up to 60p however when blackmagic acquires another sensor the body of the camera can do 120p. So I guess that's the only silver lining to visiting the blackmagic booth. If anyone has any specific features/upgrades they want me to ask about I'll probably visit them again this week as I live here. Let me know below.
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

Re: So just got back from NAB....(Updates!)

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:13 am

Thank you for doing a face to face with them. I do hope they are telling the truth to you and not more delay/evade/ignore like we have all been getting.

Hearing the BMCC "is as it is"....that is disappointing, but not surprising to me.

I do have a few questions I want answered.....

1. Audio fix....is that fixable via firmware with the current hardware or not fixable? Will they fix it?
2. rec709....are they going to be able to fix that?
3. Black Spot.....?

those are most important to me right now....although I too am interested in formatting, SSD space indicators, more WB adjustability, so if you get the chance, maybe you could ask about those things?

Again, thank you so much. We really appreciate you doing this, and given that no one from BMD would or has ever shared this with us makes your effort even more valuable.

JeremyDulac

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:15 am

Thank you for posting your findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:22 am

To be fair, the BMCC was never supposed to have scopes. I guess when I purchased it, I knew what it was going to be.... like shooting on my 7D, but a little more quirky. I knew that was the "cost of low cost." There are tradeoffs for price. The hardware in the camera is probably not capable of doing a lot at all. That's probably one of the things I had to give up because the price was so low.

The URSA is priced around the same as other "normal" video cameras like the FS700 and C100/300. As such, it has all these cool "real video camera" features.

That's just my opinion. That's how I approached my BMCC purchase, so for me, I'm not upset at all.

I'd love to hear more about the URSA plans and expectations that BMD has for the camera so that I can know what to expect and know if it's a good purchase for me or not.

At any rate, thanks for sharing this info.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

LoganStewartDP

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:26 am

the audio meters were the only "this is definitely happening" vibe I got from them. And it would be a software update. Also tooootaly forgot about the black hole sun... Damn, I'll have to go back now. :o
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

pulang_langgam

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:32 am

any update regarding FPN? not only in 4K, the pocket has the same issue. thank you for doing this

sean mclennan

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:32 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:To be fair, the BMCC was never supposed to have scopes. I guess when I purchased it, I knew what it was going to be.... like shooting on my 7D, but a little more quirky. I knew that was the "cost of low cost." There are tradeoffs for price. The hardware in the camera is probably not capable of doing a lot at all. That's probably one of the things I had to give up because the price was so low.

The URSA is priced around the same as other "normal" video cameras like the FS700 and C100/300. As such, it has all these cool "real video camera" features.

That's just my opinion. That's how I approached my BMCC purchase, so for me, I'm not upset at all.

I'd love to hear more about the URSA plans and expectations that BMD has for the camera so that I can know what to expect and know if it's a good purchase for me or not.

At any rate, thanks for sharing this info.

Pretty much my take as well. I'm still not impressed with their lack of communication however. If they were prepared for it, they should have addressed it and saved everyone a lot of grief. They didn't.

While talking to someone on the floor is nice, believe it when it's online and downloadable. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but at this point I think that's justifiable.

The all hands on deck comment isn't reassuring either as the camera isn't even done yet. It ships in July...or at least it's supposed to. If history is any indication, that means their staff will be otherwise occupied for a while. Perhaps those firmware updates might get pushed back, again.

Kevin DeOliveira

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:49 am

I can't believe they didn't mention an fpn fix. How is this possible!

The difference between quirky missing features and footage destroying image problems is night and day.
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

LoganStewartDP

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:55 am

kevdeo wrote:I can't believe they didn't mention an fpn fix. How is this possible!

The difference between quirky missing features and footage destroying image problems is night and day.

don't own a 4k so not sure about that problem. my advice would be to return all the 4ks and buy an URSA
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Kevin DeOliveira

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:03 am

Same sensor, very possible the issue will exist in both cams until they develop a fix
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

LoganStewartDP

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:05 am

didn't notice anything wrong with the URSA image. Frankly it looked beautiful :D
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

bhook

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 am

I might be wrong but I suspect sensors can be cherry picked. I imagine you could search through 1000 sensors and find the one or two that happen to exhibit no FPN (at the moment) and put your best foot forward at what you consider to be the ultimate trade show. I get the impression that there's not much of anything BMD wouldn't do to make a big noise at NAB.

Eugene Carter

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:24 am

streetlightmedia wrote:Hey guys,
So whilst at NAB I had a chance to chat with 2 people from blackmagic. It seems that they were somewhat prepared for the "where the F*** is my firmware update" Apparently whilst building the URSA every hand on deck was put to use and although they had a firmware update somewhat ready for NAB they felt it wasn't ready enough. However what I've been told is that there will be 2 more planned to update existing cameras. The first will be within two weeks. It will include the long awaited better pro-res downsampling as well as some more ef lens compatibility and auto focusing for ef mount cameras. The other update which will come later (probably late summer if I had to guess) will include 4k raw for the BMPC and AUDIO METERS! YAAAYYYY... finally :|

I asked if the older cameras would be updated with the new features of the URSA like waveforms and such and was met with a "they're looking into it, but audio meters are definitely" The other person I talked to though, who wasn't as much of an engineer as the person I was talking to said that the older camera are "as they are."

The good news is that I'll probably sell my 2.5k and buy the URSA and that the current sensor only does up to 60p however when blackmagic acquires another sensor the body of the camera can do 120p. So I guess that's the only silver lining to visiting the blackmagic booth. If anyone has any specific features/upgrades they want me to ask about I'll probably visit them again this week as I live here. Let me know below.

Thanks for getting some more info for us. Much appreciated.

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:26 am

mhood wrote:I might be wrong but I suspect sensors can be cherry picked. I imagine you could search through 1000 sensors and find the one or two that happen to exhibit no FPN (at the moment) and put your best foot forward at what you consider to be the ultimate trade show. I get the impression that there's not much of anything BMD wouldn't do to make a big noise at NAB.

I don't think they'd be plug and play. As far as I know (which isn't much on this topic), there has to be some sort of optimization between the camera hardware and sensor. I doubt you'd be able to search a catalogue of sensors and pick the one you like best. Blackmagic will offer sensor upgrades in the future that will have features like high frame rates, higher DR, etc.

I'd love to speak with BMD on what their plans are for this camera as far as sensor upgrades and just how "future-proof" the body is. Will they plan a few sensor upgrade packages? 2? 5? How far into the future (estimated) do they think the body will hold up before they have to release another one to handle data rates of the inevitable 8K, 12K, etc future.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Michael Weathersby

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:38 am

I'm going to wait for NAB 2015 for the URSA 2 which will be 2k cheaper and fix all the problems for the URSA which will still need firmware updates. Yes March of 2016 I will enjoy that URSA 2

Pavel Lavrov

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 am

Michael Weathersby wrote:I'm going to wait for NAB 2015 for the URSA 2 which will be 2k cheaper and fix all the problems for the URSA which will still need firmware updates. Yes March of 2016 I will enjoy that URSA 2

Good luck. History proves otherwise... They promised that this would be up-gradable camera, which means no price drops just buy new sensor... and by 2015 they will be working on a new camera not on fixing old problems. Just BM style.
Pavel L

joechiazza

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:13 am

Thank you! Now it would be nice for them to send this in an official email! Hope your enjoying the show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidRoss

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:30 am

Thank you for going there and getting specifics the only way it seems we can get them.

virtualevans

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:38 am

to resume...

Shawn Miller

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:52 am

Yes, thanks for getting some answers from BMD. I have to agree with others though, that it's disappointing that we couldn't hear this directly from the company. It's good to know that the BMCC is what it is, mystery solved! The Ursa looks very promising... I'll believe it when I see it... working... with few issues... in mass production. :-)

Shawn
Corporate Video Producer | Independent Filmmaker | Editor | VFX Generalist

Scott Pultz

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:55 am

Why do people believe in the hardware upgrade when we can't even get a software upgrade?

Charly Doo

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:15 am

Hey, thanks for asking this questions, could you please ask them for a date on the fpn fix? If there's any.... :lol:

TheEamonLong

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:19 am

SO Sick! Thanks for the update. Pardon the, "sick," reference. I still spell correctly and am all about internet politeness but i am stoked for the update. Blame it on southern California speak. :) Seriously stoked to hear the news. Was booked this year so i couldn't attend. Did you go and see Andrew Kramer over at VideoCopilot?
Society of Camera Operator Approved

"Noli illigitemi carborundum decendus"
"That's a union light...it better turn on when I grab it"
"Yeah...I got a box of Color Bars right here"

https://www.linkedin.com/in/theeamonlong

David Harry

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:32 am

Must commend you on your insistence for answers.

But it really is way too convenient, for BM, to be saying these things off the record. And with no commitment what so ever.

BM is like a girlfriend, or boyfriend, that you caught cheating. All the love in the world still doesn't make you less of an idiot for believing that they won't do it again.

Shane McGee

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 am

If you get a chance tomorrow...can you ask if there will be any sort of "recording time left meter" on the BMPCC (or other cameras) so we can know if our cameras are going to stop recording in the middle of a take?

Also, is there anything else coming for the BMPCC besides "better mft lens support" which is about the most un-exciting, un-asked for firmware update "feature" I've yet heard of for the BMPCC.

ellisrw

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:23 am

I contacted BMD earlier in the year and received a reply back from a Kristian Lam stating that they had not forgotten the BMCC 2.5k and they were working on further updates for this model

Scott Pultz

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:31 am

ellisrw wrote:I contacted BMD earlier in the year and received a reply back from a Kristian Lam stating that they had not forgotten the BMCC 2.5k and they were working on further updates for this model

They have said this for a very long time. Hard to take seriously anymore. Either they aren't working on it or they know it simply cannot be done and they aren't telling us.

Valentino R. Sandoli

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:57 pm

what about the remaining space on the disk? Crop guides? Audio issues fixed? possibility of 4:3 mode for anamorphic? There are so many things that maybe are possible to get and would make the camera even greater and it'd be a pitty if they let it just like it is now...

Alastair Traill

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Quote Elevate visuals: -

"If you get a chance tomorrow...can you ask if there will be any sort of "recording time left meter" on the BMPCC (or other cameras) so we can know if our cameras are going to stop recording in the middle of a take?"

I am playing with a 'Crude media remaining meter' and made a post about it here today. I was hoping to get some feedback about it but so far there has been no reply.. It is based on a kitchen timer and a Prolanc LANC remote.

Charly Doo

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:15 pm

So:

1. Remaining time on recording media.
2. Erase or control media on camera.
3. Solution for FPN regarding the pocket and production camera.
4. Audio fix for every camera.
5. 4:3 mode anamorphic.
6. Black sun spots for cinema and production camera.
7. White balance options.
8. Add rec 709 to all cameras.

I think that's everything we've mentioned so far, I left something out, please tell me so I can update this post.
StreetLight, I hope it's not a problem, andt thank you for volunteering and ask this questions, hope they don't move you to the "Off topic" side of the NAB. :D
Last edited by Charly Doo on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidRoss

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:28 pm

Add REC 709 reds to that list.

Eugene Carter

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:30 pm

More white balance options.

Shane McGee

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Eugene C. wrote:More white balance options.

Would be nice to see the image while dialing in the white balance...but that's kind of a luxury as these things go...

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 pm

To repeat myself: add "purple grid fix" to the list ;-)

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 2:13 am

I'm doing what I can to get something more official for you folks but I know the show is a big deal for all companies here(not just us). If there's something I can post officially for you guys, I'll do ASAP.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

LoganStewartDP

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 2:57 am

Thanks Tony. Just so everyone knows every person I've talked to at the booth has been more than helpful and transparent about what is going on and they are WELL away about everyone's feature requests and issues. A lot of them seem just as angry about some things not being finished as people on the forum are.
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Return to Cinematography