Blackmagic URSA

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

abraxastv

Blackmagic URSA

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:34 am

I just had a look through the new Blackmagic URSA camera, and may I just say this is a game changer for the industry, it not only looks fantastic, the features are amazing, well done Blackmagic, this will really make the other manufacturers take notice... love it!

abraxastv

Re: Blackmagic URSA

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:56 am

Just to clarify my comments, I understand BMD have some issues, (lets leave it at that), I was simply commenting on the proposed features which look very good, and I guess my point is at least looks like a camera unlike the production camera.. all the other issues aside, I guess I'm a glass half full sort of a guy... lets hope they keep their word.

David Harry

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:56 am

abraxastv wrote:I just had a look through the new Blackmagic URSA camera, and may I just say this is a game changer for the industry, it not only looks fantastic, the features are amazing, well done Blackmagic, this will really make the other manufacturers take notice... love it!

OMFG. Seriously, now the head of BM of speaking in tongues?

Honestly, if you plan on shining on the world to your latest BIG THIng, be a little more subtle.

Or maybe. Stand in the corner at NAB or some other alphabet soup and spout about some BS that everyone has already listened to, three years back.

Seriously though. GFY.

dallascurrie

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:02 am

I actually agree with both side, I can't believe there hasn't been an announcement about firmware, but the new URSA camera is fantastic! (minus the C-fast cards)

David Harry wrote:Seriously though. GFY.

Little harsh

Here's a clip of a rep talking about it

abraxastv

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:21 am

OMFG. Seriously, now the head of BM of speaking in tongues?

Honestly, if you plan on shining on the world to your latest BIG THIng, be a little more subtle.

Or maybe. Stand in the corner at NAB or some other alphabet soup and spout about some BS that everyone has already listened to, three years back.

Seriously though. GFY.

David, thanks for your reply, I haven't used any blackmagic cameras and I'm not connected to BM in any way, I shoot with a Canon 5D m3, I only found out about the ursa cameras release announcement today, I looked at the write up and compared it to their production camera which I didn't like from the start. You obviously have serious issues with Blackmagic, so I can't speak for you on that, however, telling people to as you put it GFY, really mate, everyone is entitled to their view regardless of what you think, all I was doing was putting my view forward trying to say the URSA camera looks very good compared to the Production Camera, I'm sorry you don't agree thats your option, I hope BM addresses your issue...
Cheers, Mate

Mark de Jeu

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 am

abraxastv, your reply to that attack showed a lot of class.

Welcome to the forum, although it's a bit crazy today. I share your initial thoughts and I see URSA as one more example of Blackmagic sowing market disruption - to my benefit.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

abraxastv

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 am

Thanks Mark,

It's only a subjective opinion isn't it, someone might think its the very best and other may feel not so much, I do feel it has some very strong potential and the specs look excellent... I just don't think attacking someone's opinions is really what the forum should be about, sure you can disagree, theres nothing wrong with that, I think that should be encouraged, strong debate creates better products, however, at least it can be done in a professional manner and respect for others, I don't know David, however, he has obviously had some deep seeded issues, I hope for his sake they are addressed and fixed so he can get on with what I guess we all love to do and is producing great pictures.

Thanks again for the support.

G

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:52 am

abraxastv wrote:I just don't think attacking someone's opinions is really what the forum should be about, sure you can disagree, theres nothing wrong with that, I think that should be encouraged, strong debate creates better products, however, at least it can be done in a professional manner and respect for others, I don't know David, however, he has obviously had some deep seeded issues, I hope for his sake they are addressed and fixed so he can get on with what I guess we all love to do and is producing great pictures.

Those are fighting words here. Keep talking like that and you'll soon be labelled an apologist! Lol

But, yeah, seriously, what you said is absolutely right. It's a shame, really, how uninviting this forum has become for newbs (and vets, like myself). No worries, though: you can just block those people in your control panel! Welcome to the forum. :)
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:53 am

Also: URSA looks amazing. :D

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:00 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:Also: URSA looks amazing. :D

But as we know, with BMD, "looks" usually are deceiving, unfortunately.

-

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:59 am

David Harry wrote:Seriously though. GFY.

Seriously uncalled for.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Stewart Fairweather

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:18 am

"Looks Amazing"

?

That thing is the damn uglyist thing I've seen in years - and that includes the design nightmare that Marc Newson did to the K-01.

The 10" screen - I can see those getting snapped off in real wold use.
The Audio controls and the media ports are both on the wrong sides - for single operator use, the Audio Meters MUST be on the left side, and not in an LCD display.
The CFast card? WTF? Why,...? Put a damn SSD port on the right side and be done with it, never have owners wondering whether the media will be fast enough, use the fastest connection!

Iff you must put a screen so big on it, put it on the right side - where the 1AC can use it, or the Director can watch it.

Interchangeable mounts? Yes!
Interchangeable sensors? Yes!

Everything else? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA - April First was last week guys!

Just for a laugh, visualize this - News stringer picks up his reasonably priced BMDU, with an EF lens, puts on on his shoulder, flips open the screen (klunk in the head,..) and tries to run down the street to get in position for a shot,..... and can't see where he's going,... Trip, smash,..

Or have eyeline to the reporter when recording.

Really, WTF was the design team thinking? Someone go pick up an ENG camera from Sony or Panasonic and try using it.... Controls fall under the fingers, sharp B&W veiwfinder,...

And WTF!? were management thinking announcing more new products when the firmware, promised functions (or any functioning at all for Intensity USB3,..) are not yet sorted.

Frankly, right now, I think I'll buy Atomos and Kinefinity before I touch another BMD product.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:08 am

IMHO, the big 10" screen not being removable/relocatable is dumb.

Sure, if it weren't attached via a hinge, it would need an interconnect cable between the LCD and the cam body. Big deal. I'd much prefer a short cable instead of yet another built-in cam monitor in the "wrong" place for shoulder mount use.

-

Ryan Jones

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:IMHO, the big 10" screen not being removable/relocatable is dumb.

Sure, if it weren't attached via a hinge, it would need an interconnect cable between the LCD and the cam body. Big deal. I'd much prefer a short cable instead of yet another built-in cam monitor in the "wrong" place for shoulder mount use.

-

I thought the same thing Peter, but then again, how many people are going to want to use a 10" LCD when using the camera shoulder mounted?

Maybe this was an intentional choice, assuming you'd use an EVF when shoulder mounted?

10" screen would be awesome when working on a tripod, particularly after shooting for a couple of hours the other day on a Panasonic ENG cam with a 3" screen above my head...

Jason Henne

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:43 am

It's like they designed it without asking working professionals "Is this what you want?" I don't need a big screen attached to the camera. Real sets have a video village for a reason, so we don't have 10 people trying to crowd around a screen on the camera. And the cflash cards are another huge mis-step when SSDs fit nicely with Blackmagic's price points as affordable storage. How about putting 3 screens on it to see how fast the camera can drain a battery.

At the $6000 price point you are getting close to the RED Scarlet brain price and with expensive media and batteries for the URSA the price goes up if you want to actually use it just like with RED. I'm not a RED fanboy, I own the BMCC and have been twidiling my thumbs for a year waiting for a firmware update to make it work as advertised. In regards to who this camera is for, let's be honest, have we seen a theater released film shot on a Blackmagic, no, and nobody doing those types of projects would take the URSA serious as an option. Have we seen any theater released features shot with RED, I can name 3 in theaters now.

Blackmagic had the opportunity to make an affordable alternative to a RED and blew it and upset their current customers by showing 2 more cameras while we wait for fixes for the cameras already purchased. Blackmagic continues to make bad decisions and I can't understand why they keep wanting to pump out cameras without listening to their customers. If you know anyone who is excited about the URSA please set them straight because the only way that Blackmagic will change is when people aren't buying their products. Maybe then they will start listening to what we are asking for rather than trying to tell us what they think we should want.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:45 am

Ryan Jones wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:IMHO, the big 10" screen not being removable/relocatable is dumb.

-

I thought the same thing Peter, but then again, how many people are going to want to use a 10" LCD when using the camera shoulder mounted?

Maybe this was an intentional choice, assuming you'd use an EVF when shoulder mounted?

10" screen would be awesome when working on a tripod, particularly after shooting for a couple of hours the other day on a Panasonic ENG cam with a 3" screen above my head...

If the 10" screen were removable/relocatable, you might remove it completely while operating with a EVF. Why carry the weight of the 10" screen on your shoulder when you're not using it?

-

EdChew

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:03 pm

The idea of a 10" screen is great it just needs to be removable so that you can place it where you want it. What would the weight be with it removed?

Mark de Jeu

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Ryan Jones wrote:

-

If the 10" screen were removable/relocatable, you might remove it completely while operating with a EVF. Why carry the weight of the 10" screen on your shoulder when you're not using it?

-
If the weight of the screen is anything like my SmallHD monitor, it will weigh very little.

Peter, I am having a hard time visualizing your suggestion of removing/relocating the screen for handheld. Would you put a separate cover between the side of your face and the controls, or just leave the controls open?

As an aside, are people just being silly with the idea you would operate handheld with your nose pressed against a 10" screen? I'm sure you will still want to add an EVF, shoulder pad, and handles for handheld work. For tripod use, I like the size and position of the display. You can still add displays if needed for 1st AC or video village.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

John Christon

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 pm

just on the off chance that they're counting votes here... i do like the idea of the 10" screen but would DEFINITELY like it to be removable, so as to access controls easier when on my shoulder (think amira/F5/f35, etc)

Not the hugest deal. With the screen closed the button placements on the outside of the screen are very alexa like, sitting in the bottom of the front of the camera.

I gotta believe they're gonna make an ursa minor next that's more geared to single operator. I can't imagine any other reason why they're advertising this as a multi operator camera.

now that camera will be exciting, at least for me. But i see this one's place in the grand scheme of things.

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:58 pm

URSA seems to support an 12v SGI EVF on an Israelli arm with 3/4-20 screws pretty well. Close the 10" monitor and the controls are on the smart side under your chin, right where they should be. So if it's on your shoulder with the 3rd party EVF in your face and the controls in a left-arm-on-the-camera configuration like any full-size ENG or EFP camera, then I think BM hit the mark pretty well. I'll take one. Need $4000 in extra stuff to make it work, but whatever...

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:02 pm

Mark de Jeu wrote:If the weight of the screen is anything like my SmallHD monitor, it will weigh very little.

Yep, my DP7 weighs basically nothing. But add the vmount plate to it, and it suddenly starts to feel 'substantial' in weight. That's just a plate, no battery. I doubt the screen really adds much weight.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Certainly BMD have anticipated the option of adding a SDI EVF as they have an EVF HD-SDI port on the left side just for that specific purpose. Nearly every picture of the camera in action shows the camera on a mount, typically a tripod, where the fixed, larger, brighter, higher resolution HD screen looks useful to me positioned toward the front of the camera rather than behind it where it might hinder access to the controls. I think its evidence that BMD was listening to people's reactions and not designed in a vacuum. The 10" display is not going to be open when on your shoulder and used as a run-and-gun camera where the EVF option makes sense.

In a set that includes a few people viewing the live set, another monitor will be required as this is the monitor intended for the DOP/camera operator. Having such a large monitor integrated with the camera is part of the design of the camera to have most of what you need already a part of the camera. May not suit all purposes. Another different approach from BMD. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography