BMCC - Audio. Why not AES input?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jason Huxley

BMCC - Audio. Why not AES input?

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi everyone. New to the forums. Got my cam 2 weeks ago.

Having just gotten my BMCC 4K I've been pretty impressed with the camera overall. I am disappointed that BM haven't addressed major issues with these cameras while continuing to release new cameras in front of us! I knew they'd do it, given past experiences. Anyway. It's still got pretty amazing pics for the price and I look forward to firmware updates ASAP!

I was wondering in relation to the audio inputs, why doesn't BM just give us an option for AES audio input as well? They could just take in digital AES and embed it digitally onto the stream being recorded. That way we can just provide all our own gear and be guaranteed great audio. There's no processing to be done by the camera then. It just has to re-clock the AES input, maybe add slight delay to sync with video recorded and it's done. I already have sound devices gear so getting in AES is easy as. In some ways I'd prefer this as an option rather than trying to fix what appears to be pretty dodgy analog audio hardware. Do you think this would be possible with a firmware update and the current hardware? Does anyone else think this could work better? Essential they are already doing this now, just with an analog to digital converter on the front. A relatively cheapish Mix-pre D from Sound devices gives awesome pre amps and AES out.

Return to Cinematography