My Cinematography Reel

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Taylor Camarot

My Cinematography Reel

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 5:49 am

Hey BMCC community!

This is my attached cinematography reel, shot mostly with my BMCC (there is a little red one mx mixed in). Just graduated film school looking for work so I decided to through this together. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I personally feel like its is fairly easy to tell what is shot with red compared to bmcc, but not to the detriment of blackmagic. Actually I really prefer the BMCC look. I need NR on some shots though, but when the BMCC is properly exposed, I feel it blows the red one mx out of the water as far as color rendition and dynamic range. What do you guys think?

I know my stuff isnt the best example of either camera, but I like having a direct comparison between the two. Thoughts?
Taylor Camarot Cinematography
taylor-camarot-cinematography.com

timbutt2

Re: My Cinematography Reel

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 9:16 am

Nice reel! Looks great. Out of curiosity, what type of Steadicam did you use on the Hunter Test video? Did you use a remote follow focus with it? I'm looking to see what Steadicam would be a great fit with the BMCC. Thanks.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Taylor Camarot

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Nice reel! Looks great. Out of curiosity, what type of Steadicam did you use on the Hunter Test video? Did you use a remote follow focus with it? I'm looking to see what Steadicam would be a great fit with the BMCC. Thanks.

That was a glidecam X-45, and yeah we had a preston remote follow focus. The glidecam was a bit over kill for the BMCC, as its meant for 40lb rigs but the BMCC with cage/lens/follow focus was around 20 lbs. Worked well though, Im glad you liked it!

Benton Collins

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 3:53 am

Nice work. All shots look very cinematic, which is the whole point! And underscores the tremendous value of the original BMCC.

Taylor Camarot

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Benton wrote:Nice work. All shots look very cinematic, which is the whole point! And underscores the tremendous value of the original BMCC.

Thanks Benton! While there are still very obvious issues with the camera, its good to see deep down its sensor can produce gorgeous images. For my kind of work as cinematographer, I dont see myself buying another camera for a long time (it will all be bmcc or the production will rent it.)

Return to Cinematography