Thanks, John Brawley

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Federico Toraldo

Thanks, John Brawley

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 am

John Brawley wrote:
Costa wrote:
I don't agree with you much John, maybe because you are so darn pro BMD ALL THE TIME even when you really shouldn't be, but I have to agree with you here.

That's OK. I never agree with you either.

I don't work for BMD. But I am personal friend of many of the BMD camera engineering staff and I've known many of the senior BMD team for many years, before they were even BMD.

I've also had a lot to do with the development of this camera. I feel a bit proprietal about it...well...because there's a lot of me in there...I'm very very proud of this camera and what it can do.

I'm in a difficult position because I'm privvy to a lot of information that I can't talk about. Most of the time, the rumours that fly around here are so far from the truth, it's not funny.

BMD though, do have a policy that means they do prefer to keep their cards close to their chest. Sometimes this is frustrating, but they have really good reasons for doing it. All I'm doing is offering you some hints about why you won't get the kinds of comments or statements people seem to expect.

BMD never talk about numbers. Ever. This is not a new policy with this camera. It's always been their way.

BMD haver a lot of NEW customers with the introduction of this camera. Many of them won't have dealt with BMD before, and won't understand their apparent silence on a lot of issues.

I guess I'm saying, silence doesn't mean bad stuff necessarily, or that there's something to hide as you constantly infer.

Costa wrote:HOWEVER, I do believe it has come to the time where BMD should be telling us numbers. This is a MASSIVE delay by any companies standards and the truth and some transparency needs to occur.

You know it is *just* a camera. It's also not unprecedented for a manufacturer to be late delivering an electronic item in both cameras and wider electronics.

BMD want nothing more than to give people the cameras they've pre-ordered. They are literally falling over themselves to get these things out the door. They hear and feel every anguished post. Just because they don't show it, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt them to not have them shipping. They really are throwing a lot of resources at putting things back on the road.

Yeah they'd rather not have had to delay their shipping, even though most of the delays were unexpected issues that were beyond their control. Yes they've disappointed. But who have they hurt ? Themselves and their own reputation. Enough said. It's noted. They certainly feel it. They'll have to earn your trust again.

The constant hysterical end-of-the-world conspiracy theories won't bring you a camera any sooner. Chest beating on this forum won't make them go any faster. They already are. They just don't talk about it, good or bad news. They just get on with it.

Am I BMD apologist ? Maybe. But it's more because I know that they are killing themselves to make it right.

jb

Thank you John, maybe now the things will start to calm down in this forum!
Federico Toraldo
Filmmaker & Visual Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5010387/

Costa Louvieris

Re: Thanks, John Brawley

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 am

Did this need another topic started.. people can see what he and I wrote in the other topic.

Federico Toraldo

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 am

I did this just to make sure it was immediately visible to all, and because it seemed to me the explanation that was missing in this forum. :)
Federico Toraldo

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Phoenix28 wrote:I did this just to make sure it was immediately visible to all, and because it seemed to me the explanation that was missing in this forum. :)

Only right that my reply is added as well then, huh?

John Brawley wrote:
You know it is *just* a camera. It's also not unprecedented for a manufacturer to be late delivering an electronic item in both cameras and wider electronics.

*just* a camera... this is not like JUST a game or a hobby for us this is a livelihood, which is what BMD and maybe yourself do not understand. This is not my hobby this is my job. Also you seem to forget that BMD have also had a massive delay with the Hyperdeck Studio pro. I have pre-ordered both items since April and in the case of the Hyperdeck Studio Pro, paid for in full.

The constant hysterical end-of-the-world conspiracy theories won't bring you a camera any sooner.

No hysterical wont get it any sooner... asking reasonable questions will, which is what we've been doing. Whose being hysterical now?

Am I BMD apologist ? Maybe. But it's more because I know that they are killing themselves to make it right.
jb

Well we both agree on something again, will wonders never cease?

I didn't say they weren't killing themselves to make it right. The case in point is we DONT KNOW what they are doing as they won't tell us, which creates these "conspiracy theories".

I don't know you personally, you might well be someone I would have a dink with. I don't want you to think I am anti you. I just like to tell it how it is and be honest with people. Some people tip toe around you as you are BMD's MAN and a DOP for some show or other... I believe actions deserve respect not talking about things that you "can't" talk about, which basically is EVERYTHING. You are in the perfect position to get them talking for us, but you don't seem to want to rock the boat. It's frustrating is all.

Get on to them ask them to change their policies. I don't want a YES man and that is who they seemed to have been doing business with.

I would just like to add that I respect your knowledge.. I could learn a lot from you so please don't take this as anti your work either. Just anti your relationship/involvement with BMD.

Federico Toraldo

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm sorry, I did not mean to put you in a bad light, I just wanted to post the explanation of JB because it seemed right to me. It was not my purpose to publish your discussion. :roll:
:)
Federico Toraldo

Luke Armstrong

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 pm

John doesn't owe us anything. He's only their friend/advisor and a very talented DP.. John has no doubt signed an NDA - he can't say anything. BMD are their own entity and John doesn't have a lot of swing over their business decisions.

I do agree though that it is not 'just a camera' - this is a big deal for a lot of people who can't afford to shoot on the Red's and the Arri's - myself included sometimes. Having said that I think we could all be a little more civil and a little less hysterical at times - myself included.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

bhook

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Big News!!! Undisclosed reliable sources have revealed that five BMCs were delivered to Europe last week!!! Spread the word!!! Scream and holler hysterically...it will make your vocal chords strong. Cry tears of joy...it will keep your tear ducts healthy. Throw a walleyed screaming hissy fit if you're number 750 in Europe.

:o

David form BMCUSER

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Phoenix28 wrote:
John Brawley wrote:
Costa wrote:
...the rumours that fly around here are so far from the truth, it's not funny...

jb

Thank you John, maybe now the things will start to calm down in this forum!

This whole situation is about as funny as it gets. It's funny business, the posts are hilarious, the struggle to get answers from BMD, it's all one big joke. I'm holding steady waiting for my cameras. I'm not even going to post what I was told by the various dealers I have orders at because they all have something different to say! Just a bunch of rumors and BS. The only ones who can dish out any truth is BMD and they are only handing out crumbs.

Federico Toraldo

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm

David form BMCUSER wrote:
This whole situation is about as funny as it gets. It's funny business, the posts are hilarious, the struggle to get answers from BMD, it's all one big joke. I'm holding steady waiting for my cameras. I'm not even going to post what I was told by the various dealers I have orders at because they all have something different to say! Just a bunch of rumors and BS. The only ones who can dish out any truth is BMD and they are only handing out crumbs.

+1 :)
Federico Toraldo

David

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Costa wrote:Did this need another topic started.. people can see what he and I wrote in the other topic.

If the above was from another topic then it was from a topic I stopped reading long ago. So I'm grateful.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 8:33 pm

I understand Costa's and John's argumente. They are both right...but c'mon can we just relax and not make a world from everything. I want my BMCC and I'm frustrated as hell, but if I don't like them i just quit and rent other stuff or stick with my 7D, instead of saying everyday how bad BMD works. It's super easy, if you don't like it don't buy it.

I'm pretty sure they are killing themselves to release the camera as they said in would be july and we are on november, but what's for sure they don't want to cheat anyone as trust and reputation is the most valuable factor that any company in the world has.

I will wait, but if i'm very anxious i will just buy other stuff and won't be here complaining and crying everyday.

This is not for costa personally as I don't know him as a person, it's for the trend in this forum of being childish about this subject.

(if anyone feels attacked by me and responds me I won't argue with anyone about this :D )

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

John Brawley

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 am

Costa wrote:You know it is *just* a camera. It's also not unprecedented for a manufacturer to be late delivering an electronic item in both cameras and wider electronics.

I think they do. They are in the business of selling cameras.

I'm also making a livelihood out of this as well.

Things don't get shipped or delivered in time, ALL THE TIME. It's not BMD specific. And it's normal business practice to allow for this. And if you don't then you should.

I'm still waiting for some RED EPIC parts for the current shoot I'm on now. My camera assistant is waiting 18 months after he ordered cinetape extension tubes.

Costa wrote: This is not my hobby this is my job.

Me too Costa.

Costa wrote:No hysterical wont get it any sooner... asking reasonable questions will, which is what we've been doing. Whose being hysterical now?

Just a few of your reasonable quotes I went through. I gave up after a few pages, these are just from the most recent posts. But I think you rarely use reasonable language.

Costa wrote:
Yeah, if the ever deliver indeed.

Costa wrote:
FIVE! This is beyond insane... ONLY FIVE?

Costa wrote:If you don't have solid numbers why should I believe you over someone else?

(this was a direct response to a BMD rep)

Costa wrote:This is when BMD will decide if they need to cut price, reschedule MFT or screw us over more?

Costa wrote:
BASICALLY never trust anything BMD says until you see it with your own eyes.

Costa wrote:BMD are so out of their depth it's unbelievable. They wanted to play with the big boys but have failed miserably so far.

Costa wrote: So it's civil to lie and miss deadlines but not civil to complain about how those deadlines were missed?

Costa wrote:I still believe they are dishonest, but for different reasons... I think they were told to lie by BMD. They lied in retaliation to the truth which is not what BMD wanted.

Costa wrote:Or you're giving us the BMD truth?

Costa wrote:Sorry but I don't believe you. Wish I could but I do not believe a thing that you guys say anymore.

Costa wrote:Can BMD screw up any more than they have done so far?

Costa wrote:Who makes these decisions at BMD? Does anyone?

Costa wrote:The more people that come here to prove BMD's incompetence, the better:)

Costa wrote:Get on to them ask them to change their policies. I don't want a YES man and that is who they seemed to have been doing business with.

Doing business ? Yes Man ?

Costa wrote: Just anti your relationship/involvement with BMD.

I'm fine with it.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 8:46 am

I said I wouldn't reply but JB I feel the need to respond with a comment you made on the other forum. You copy and paste my stuff and I can copy paste your insults. The difference is that I am the client who has a right to his say, who are you exactly? Client, partner, share holder?

John Brawley wrote:Wow.

There's such a sense of entitlement when you guys are offering NOTHING in return.....

Nothing? What do you want us to offer? We dont have our camera yet? I don't understand?

There's no need at all for this kind of agro and you come off like spoilt kids.

You guys don't deserve the answers you crave.

I think we have the right to express our opinions. We have a right to free speech. The only bully I see here is you. You have a position of privilege and seem to be taking your position for granted.

Let me be honest. I want this camera. I want it bad. The state of the camera and how it works is NOT IN QUESTION. It is a technical marvel at a very low price. I want it which may be why I come off angry that money I have/had is basically in the wind waiting for this thing.

Lastly, BMD I have bought many of your devices. If you value me as a customer and intend to continue my custom can you please ask Mr JB to stop replying to me and I will do the same for him. He really isn't doing you any favours.

Like I said John, no hard feelings. I am only being honest and I have said my piece and will not reply to you again. I made a promise to go until the next announcement which I have broken now. I intend to go back that promise no matter your reply.

Thanks

matthijsliethof

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 10:00 am

O god, @costa your constant nagging about everything and everybody just doesn't have any limits.

Let's just say that when you make a living out of videoproductions/cinema or whatever you should have a better sense of business. I haven't met any sane videographer who would take on jobs with a camera he's not able to hold in the palm of his hands, or be absolutely certain it will be there on time.

It's not up to BMD to keep your business running, you are, instead of nagging on this forums you should out there renting camera and shooting stuff.

I believe the purpose of a forum is talking about the capabilities of the camera and needed gear and workflow etc.

For me it's a pain to see your nagging in each and every topic that might be interesting.

Christine Peterson

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

Locking this thread. To everyone involved, please cease the personal attacks.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Return to Cinematography