Zeiss ZE kit from B&H or ZF kit?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

andyteel

Zeiss ZE kit from B&H or ZF kit?

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Calling on some experienced users out there. I am a graphic designer/amateur photographer who has over the last 2 years been awarded the sub-title videographer. We own the BMPC 4K and have purchased the Zeiss ZE kit of FFL glass. We were sold on this because the ZE glass is cannon EF mount to match the camera. I have noticed that the iris control on the camera is kinda finicky and I never use auto focus when shooting video. Would it be a better idea to exchange my ZE glass (electronic aperture control) for the ZF (manual aperture but nikon mount) and just adapt to EF of the camera. What would be the pros and cons. Thanks so much for the wealth of knowledge you all provide so regularly.

Andy
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) • 2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 • 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 • Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

2X BMPCC 6k Gen 1
ATEM Mini Pro ISO
DaVinci Resolve 18 Studio (Cloud)

AdrianSierkowski

Re: Zeiss ZE kit from B&H or ZF kit?

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 7:31 pm

I am always a fan of manual aperture. Especially since you can get them cine-modded for better motion picture use (and I think they can permamount an EF onto them too)
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

adamroberts

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 7:32 pm

I own a set of cine modded Zeiss ZF.2's

Pros:
• The ZF.2's have an aperture ring so you get full manual control over the iris.
• Iris can be professionally de-clicked.
• Adding an adaptor, it ca be used on EF mount, MFT mount, E mount, etc. So it's pretty versatile. The ZE's are locked into the EF mount.

Cons:
• Stills cameras were never intended for video so the mounts were never designed to lock solidly into place the way the PL mount does on cinema cameras. Adding an adaptor can add another point for play in the set-up. You could have the mount changed to EF but you'd still have a little play (same as the ZE).
• Nikon lenses focus the "wrong" way.

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 7:34 pm

you can get a reversing gear for a follow focus for the wrong-way-- but yes, it is a pita since I don't always use a reversing gear on my ff,so when i swap from a PL to my nikkor 50 for beauty shots, sometimeswe blow the first take .
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Dustin Boswell

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Nikon Mount:

Pros:
Nikon Glass is Highly Adaptable (You can adapt it to pretty much anything other than PL to my knowledge
Speedbooster if not using the 4k camera (if you decide to use a MFT mount camera etc.)
All Manual Controls (I prefer mechanical controls to electronic controls)
Usable on Nikon DSLRs for Stills
Lots of Cheaper Nikkors out there for some fun-lenses

Cons:
Needs adapter(s) for EF Cameras (All of the Canon Line, the BM4k & URSA)
No Auto Iris
No Auto Focus
Focus Ring moves in opposite direction to other lenses

EF Mount:

Pros:
Automatic Controls (focus/Iris)
Immediately mountable to EF Mount cameras
Adaptable to MFT

Cons:
Can't Adapt to Nikon DSLRs
Can't use Speedbooster on MFT Cameras (Subject to Change)
Newer Mount=Newer used Lenses are more expensive
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

andyteel

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Thank you all for pros and cons. I like the idea of the ZFs over the ZEs. Truly respect you all and your knowledge and experience with your craft.
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) • 2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 • 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 • Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

2X BMPCC 6k Gen 1
ATEM Mini Pro ISO
DaVinci Resolve 18 Studio (Cloud)

JerryBruck

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Dear Andy Teel,

These Zeiss ZE/ZF/ZK &k lenses are more than super but I think you're making a mistake by buying the kit. The 50 f1.4 and I think the 85 as well suffer from focus shift until at least f4, which means that f2 and f2.8 will be soft -- even though you are focusing manually, which you must -- until you find a way of focusing at the ap you will be using, such as by pressing the preview button on a Canon stills camera. This is a hassle as well as an extra step.

In my opinion you would be wiser to substitute the 50mm f2 macro and the 100mm f2 macro, both of which are legendary lenses. The former is in a number of ways the equal of this fancy new Otus 55mm; the longer one is the bomb for portraits.

These two are more expensive than what they replace but you can actually save considerable over all by buying individually used on-line. These lenses are built to last and have no focusing motors that might have secretly worn down. Ebay is the best source for these and popflash, which has some kind of official status with Zeiss for refurbishing, I have sound the best of their sellers. KEH dot com is also trustworthy though more expensive generally. I predict you'll find mint copies at 30-40% off list.

No need to mourn for that case -- super-sturdy cases are surprising cheap to buy individually; try the H9RC brand, all you will lack is the form inserts which you can replace with cutouts or soft single-lens cases or anything really.

I'll turn to your ZF/ZE question in another post but first I want to warn you about the difference between ZF and ZF.2 Nikon versions of these full frame Zeiss lenses. Both have an external aperture ring but only the second has aperture control ("a computer" Zeiss once called it) built in to the lens. With the ZF.2 you set the aperture on a Canon (or other camera with the contacts and software required). The camera keeps the lens wide open for ease of focusing and stops down when you press the shutter/start button. On the ZF you have to reset the ap ring by hand, especially if your exposure will be at a big number. This Nikon ring is right against the camera body and somewhat of a squeeze on the Canon body, even with the Nikon adopter you'll be using. In fact it's a pain. This is the reason that used ZFs sell for hundreds of dollars less than equivalent ZF.2s

The ZE all have aperture control, but no aperture ring, which can present a dilemma on non-Canon bodies I'll turn to later.

JerryBruck

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 pm

As the others have written, the Nikon mount multiplies the useable camera mounts but you'll be stuck with adapters if you're a Canon photog. Decent adopters tend to be expensive and they all loosen eventually. If you're cycling your primes off and on your cameras often enough, you might need a set of five. Staying with EF removes that problem at least, plus the wrong-way focusing, which will be an issue with stills at least. EF will work with E and X mount cameras, as well as MTF, which are all looking better all the time.

I'm sorry to hear the 4k is finicky in the ap control department. That lack of an external ring is a scary aspect of the EF version -- you really are stuck with Canon and Canon-active mounts and adopters, as a practical matter. Month by month this feels a less appetizing place to be. The endless delay with the EF-MTF Speedbooster is just the latest example of this, against a backdrop of the high cost of Canon's "cinema" cams.

It's a big investment you've undertaken but things are changing so fast these days that "future proofing" is probably just an illusion and planning for what you're actually doing or about to do is probably best. Once you're using the gear, features that save time loom larger in importance -- features like aperture control maybe.

Good luck

PetePolyakov

PostThu May 01, 2014 12:23 am

I have carl zeiss set from 18 to 135. EF mount. nothing wrong with ZE, maybe I would get it if I would come back in past, but any issues with adapters+infinity focus really gets on my nerves.

Scott Stacy

PostThu May 01, 2014 1:34 am

I have ZE Zeiss primes, but wish I would have bought ZF.2 Zeiss primes from Duclos lenses. Matthew sells the ZF.2 with a Canon mount + you can get the lenses with a gear and cine mod - well worth the extra money!
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Return to Cinematography