BMCC power port spark show :\

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sean mclennan

BMCC power port spark show :\

PostThu May 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Well, be very careful plugging power to your BMCC 2.5K. Just came back from an interview session and when I went to plug in the power adapter (DTAP to BMCC Switronix cable, from a Tilta pinch and a Switronix 90S battery) a massive spark shot off the camera about 6 inches and almost hit me in the face. :o

I seriously thought I had killed my BMCC, but it seemed to operate without error. No dropped frames. No visible issues on camera.

I've used this battery/pinch/cable at least three dozen times with my BMCC without any issue.

Anyway, I highly recommend you plug the camera end in first, then the power side. Also, always with the camera off. That's the only way I'll do it from now on.

Still feel a little sick to my stomach! :geek:

Little hesitant to leave the camera in my lockup cage, with the other $$$ gear.

ok, THIS ONE TIME, I really wish the battery was removable!

PaulDelVecchio

Re: BMCC power port spark show :\

PostFri May 02, 2014 12:02 am

That's happened to me before. Well, not almost getting hit in the face with a spark, but I've seen sparks. It's probably happened to me about 10 times, and now I make sure to plug in the cable to the BMCC first, then plug the DTAP into the battery.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

popcornflix

PostFri May 02, 2014 9:12 am

Anyway, I highly recommend you plug the camera end in first, then the power side. Also, always with the camera off. That's the only way I'll do it from now on.

This is a good rule of thumb for electronics in general: attach the most valuable bit of gear to the wire first. The last connection is where the sparks can fly. Same goes for data cables. If the hard drive with the only copy of footage needs connecting to the computer, wire up the hard drive first, then plug it into the computer. If static happens, you probably won't lose the footage.

Rob Ford

PostFri May 02, 2014 12:18 pm

It would be a shame of your fried your camera as you would have nothing left to complain about. ;)

Sent from Chicago on my Tamagotchi

Theodore Prentice

PostFri May 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Rob Ford wrote:It would be a shame of your fried your camera as you would have nothing left to complain about. ;)

Sent from Chicago on my Tamagotchi

Sean?!?
WTF, Sean has been around from the beginning and FAR from a complainer, unless Im missing some kind of sarcasm here.

You "guys" always complaining about people jumping OT and not having anything to add to the discussion.. you take the mirrors down in your house or what?

sean mclennan

PostFri May 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Well, Geoff I didn't measure it. My face was pretty close to the camera when it happened. It wasn't an arc , but an actual spark.

As for having nothing left to complain about, well...yeah. I don't even know how to answer that. lol :lol:

Dillon McEvoy

PostFri May 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Same thing happened to me. Had my DP7 plugged in via dtap, went to plug in bmcc cable and boom, sparks. Scared the lights out of me, I then realized I had just fried my Switronix Powerbase, wouldn't hold a charge after that. Had to get a new one...

Now I plug that cable in the bmcc before plugging anything else into the power base.

earl riddick

PostFri May 02, 2014 11:04 pm

i was shooting out at a barn not to long ago. the barn was running from a generator and when i plugged the bmcc into the mains every time i touched the camera i could feel a definite "charge".it felt like a deep bassy tingling. i got a spark from mine that day also

sean mclennan

PostSat May 03, 2014 4:17 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:Well, Geoff I didn't measure it. My face was pretty close to the camera when it happened. It wasn't an arc , but an actual spark.

You haven't taken to wearing satin pants have you? :lol:

Shhhhhhh :oops:

Rob Ford

PostSat May 03, 2014 10:36 am

Dillon wrote:Same thing happened to me. Had my DP7 plugged in via dtap, went to plug in bmcc cable and boom, sparks. Scared the lights out of me, I then realized I had just fried my Switronix Powerbase, wouldn't hold a charge after that. Had to get a new one...

Now I plug that cable in the bmcc before plugging anything else into the power base.

FYI, I'm not 100% certain on all the specifics, but you may want to look at ground looping. It can happen (And can fry your camera !) when you have the camera and camera accessory both powered from the same source, and then you plug in the HDSdI item into it as well, which then creates a loop in the ground.. as the voltage is going thru that signal too. And can fry your monitor and your camera.

Again, I don't know the specifics (I'm a mayor, not an electrician), and I'm certain I'm leaving a certain aspect out, but it is important to be cautious!

ps- yes I liked to crack a joke or two here or there.

Christian Horne

PostSat May 03, 2014 11:39 am

Are you still a Mayor? I thought you had been stripped of that Mr Ford? :)

rick.lang

PostSun May 04, 2014 3:12 am

Rob, any thoughts on the URSA camera which relies on an external battery or mains power but also has a 12v Out to provide power to another device such as an EVF? Would it be any less risky using the camera's 12v Out compared to running multiple power connections from the battery to the URSA and an EVF and whatever, such as a preamp?

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography