BMCC issues!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cuboirs

BMCC issues!

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 1:00 am

It's pretty interesting how some of our favorite camera reviewers(P.Bloom/J.Brawley/V.Laforet/M.Solario) all reviewed this wonderful camera and non mentioned the fact that some of the most popular canon lenses wouldn't work properly with this camera.....would've been nice if for example M.Solario would've added that in the BMCC VS 5D review huhhhhh? Shame on you guys to miss this$$$$$$$

Alex Tissot

Re: BMCC issues!

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 1:20 am

I hope the 24-7Omm L V1 well works!!!
Last edited by Alex Tissot on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

Tom Sefton

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 1:28 am

DItto - if this is an issue that we all should know about, please list the lenses that you claim don't work properly with the BMCC and we can check them off as and when cameras arrive.

I haven't seen any reviews of the camera or read any articles so far that would indicate that any lenses we own wouldn't work with the BMCC - what else do you know?

Your post is a pretty thinly veiled attempt at some slanderous claims to people who have tested the camera. I really hope that you can back up your claims with some solid facts, because without them it seems bad form.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Nick Bedford

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 1:50 am

Maybe they didn't use lenses that didn't have the issue, Cuboir? It's not a conspiracy that these DP/bloggers are brewing. Blackmagic hasn't told us.

It's not until certain people tried using those lenses that the issue arose.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

bhook

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 2:03 am

This list made by Captainhook is most helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2472#p14489

John Brawley

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 3:27 am

I didn't review the camera. I'm not a camera reviewer. I'm a working DP.

I was directly involved with it's development from very early on and was able to share my experiences. I tried using the 85mm during the Afterglow shoot and discovered it didn't work because it focuses by wire.

As far as I knew then, it was the only EF lens that focussed this way. I mentioned it to the engineers and they said it wouldn't be a problem and would be addressed in the very near future.

I honestly didn't think it was a big deal, certainly not big enough of a deal to worry about.

To be honest, I don't really like using the EF lenses for motion, though I have of course done so.

I've also used the 35mm and I didn't find any issues with it, but I was using pre-release software. I only used it once for the Afterglow shoot with the sparklers at the end so I might not have noticed the aperture wasn't working.

Good on you for trying to whip some more controversy though. I'm sure everyone appreciates your searing inquisitiveness.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Nick Bedford

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 3:44 am

I guess the point is that it's an Canon EF mount camera. If it doesn't support vital features of EF lenses (focusing and aperture control) then it's false advertising if nowhere are the incompatibilities are displayed by BMD.

Certainly if they're working on support then sure, we're in the know, but BMD has not mentioned this and now we're only discovering that some Canon EF lenses are useless in the short term.

That's surely a valid reason to be annoyed at Blackmagic.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 4:08 am

Other camera manufacturers may publish similar "lens compatibility" lists, but I'm familiar with the one Panasonic periodically updates for their Micro Four Thirds cameras:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/d ... t/gh2.html

Note that this list includes both Panasonic's own lenses, plus lenses made by other manufacturers.

It would be great if BMD published a list similar to this, but for the BMCC-EF.

Cheers.

Eric Santiago

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 5:36 am

JB did you have any choice lenses for the BMCC?
During your production shoots, were they all Canon or ?

John Brawley

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 6:36 am

Eric Santiago wrote:JB did you have any choice lenses for the BMCC?

These were what I had access to mostly. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the EF canon's for motion work.

I mostly have been using CP primes with the early EF BMCC's I had or the EFs 15-85. I also had access to some R mount Leicas....

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

PaulDelVecchio

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 6:40 am

John Brawley wrote:
Eric Santiago wrote:JB did you have any choice lenses for the BMCC?

These were what I had access to mostly. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the EF canon's for motion work.

I mostly have been using CP primes with the early EF BMCC's I had or the EFs 15-85. I also had access to some R mount Leicas....

jb

Just out of curiosity, how come you don't like EF for motion? The build, the smaller amount of rotation for the focus ring, etc?
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

John Brawley

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 6:47 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how come you don't like EF for motion? The build, the smaller amount of rotation for the focus ring, etc?

Electronic aperture that steps when changed in shot.

Very short focus throw.

Non repeatable focus throw.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 8:06 am

John Brawley wrote:Non repeatable focus throw.
That part has been the REAL pain in the ass so far for me shooting any narrative work. Block the scene, set focus marks, rehearse - then focus can be hit or miss during the take anyway. :cry: You end up constantly resetting focus marks and relying a lot more on focus peaking because of it.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Dave Dominguez

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 8:09 am

No offense John but you're a established DP that has a choice on what lenses to use on any production. Most of us who this particular camera appeals to don't have that choice. We have EF lenses from shooting on a our DSLRs. It is a big deal. At least for me it is.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Soeren Mueller

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 10:05 am

CaptainHook wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Non repeatable focus throw.
That part has been the REAL pain in the ass so far for me shooting any narrative work. Block the scene, set focus marks, rehearse - then focus can be hit or miss during the take anyway. :cry: You end up constantly resetting focus marks and relying a lot more on focus peaking because of it.

Dito.. also that problem can be cured at least a little bit by using a follow focus with configurable hard stops or a remote focus with the same capability. (like the nice HocusFocus for
example)

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 pm

My follow focus doesn't have hard stops, but i didn't think it would help with canon glass anyway? I thought the internal focus mechanisms would still "drift" (even without going past infinity/minimum etc) ? Good to know if not.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Soeren Mueller

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 12:58 pm

CaptainHook wrote:My follow focus doesn't have hard stops, but i didn't think it would help with canon glass anyway? I thought the internal focus mechanisms would still "drift" (even without going past infinity/minimum etc) ? Good to know if not.

Well I wouldn't count on it ;) .. my only "long time test" until now is using Canon glass with a hard stop follow focus set up so it doesn't move past infinity/minimum for about 2-3 hours and it held the marks quite well. Guess it depends on the particular model...
I mean in theory the focusing mechanism should be quite exact because of the autofocusing requirements.. just depends on the translation from manual focus ring to internal focusing...

Cuboirs

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 2:47 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:Maybe they didn't use lenses that didn't have the issue, Cuboir? It's not a conspiracy that these DP/bloggers are brewing. Blackmagic hasn't told us.

It's not until certain people tried using those lenses that the issue arose.

Im just saying they ARE some of the most popular lenses canon offers c'mon now!!!!

Cuboirs

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 2:50 pm

John Brawley wrote:I didn't review the camera. I'm not a camera reviewer. I'm a working DP.

I was directly involved with it's development from very early on and was able to share my experiences. I tried using the 85mm during the Afterglow shoot and discovered it didn't work because it focuses by wire.

As far as I knew then, it was the only EF lens that focussed this way. I mentioned it to the engineers and they said it wouldn't be a problem and would be addressed in the very near future.

I honestly didn't think it was a big deal, certainly not big enough of a deal to worry about.

To be honest, I don't really like using the EF lenses for motion, though I have of course done so.

I've also used the 35mm and I didn't find any issues with it, but I was using pre-release software. I only used it once for the Afterglow shoot with the sparklers at the end so I might not have noticed the aperture wasn't working.

Good on you for trying to whip some more controversy though. I'm sure everyone appreciates your searing inquisitiveness.

jb

I wasnt trying to do that,its just you guys are the ones whos videos made me actually want this camera ,and the fact that it wasnt picked up was strange to me thats all but no direct finger pointing!!!!

Cuboirs

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Now that i sit back and think about it ,one of the main pitches on this camera was that for DSLR owners this was the camera as we wouldnt have to **buy new glass**..... But now its like ohh the 35L/85L/24-70L,WONT EXACTLY wont perfectly .......thats a serious problem as most who film w a 35 also use a 85.....not good,but im sure and i hope this SERIOUS ISSUE gets CORRECTED

Eric Santiago

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Now Im hoping the EF will be fine with Rokinon Cine 24/35/85s.

Eric Santiago

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 3:02 pm

John Brawley wrote:I mostly have been using CP primes with the early EF BMCC's I had or the EFs 15-85. I also had access to some R mount Leicas....

jb

The CP.2s are enticing but costly for most of us.
During your use of the BMCC, did the CP.2s match what you had on the EPICs?

Oh and thanks for taking the time to answering these questions JB, you help most of us from jumping off ledges ;)

muratcangokce

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:Now Im hoping the EF will be fine with Rokinon Cine 24/35/85s.

there is no reason for it.. all these rokinon/samyang lenses doesn't include any electronic parts to work with ef connectors.. they are fully manuel..
www.muratcan.film

Cuboirs

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:16 am

This is sooo sad ...

aprilliasky

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Could someone affirm, that the BMCC is working proprely with Novoflex Nikon F to Canon EOS adapter with aperture control? Thanks!

adamroberts

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 pm

aprilliasky wrote:Could someone affirm, that the BMCC is working proprely with Novoflex Nikon F to Canon EOS adapter with aperture control? Thanks!

That adaptor is a "dumb" adaptor and is completely manual, it has not electronic contacts so will work just fine.

aprilliasky

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 pm

adamroberts wrote:
aprilliasky wrote:Could someone affirm, that the BMCC is working proprely with Novoflex Nikon F to Canon EOS adapter with aperture control? Thanks!

That adaptor is a "dumb" adaptor and is completely manual, it has not electronic contacts so will work just fine.

They have two kinds for Nikon's: with and without aperture control.
If you want to mount a G series of lens, than your only solution is with aperture control. Question is if the BMCC handles that? :?:

Kholi Hicks

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 3:47 am

Not necessarily to back John up, but I found that the 28/1.8 didn't work and honestly... it wasn't a big deal to me either. I mentioned it to a friend at most, then just switched lenses. Everything else worked, and shooting with it today, the lenses we used worked fine as well.

I had no intention of using EF glass on the camera for the most part, so it didn't bother me. I'm sure it'll be fixed, this topic's first post DOES seem like finger-pointing-propaganda... I'm confused as to why most of the posts on this board are so inflammatory...

Play some video games or something! xD
Kholi Hicks

matthijsliethof

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 am

Talking about issues. Could it be that because the sensor is exposed (when changing lenses and zooming), dust is going to be more of a problem than with a DSLR?

Ryan McCarvill

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 11:58 am

MatthijsLiethof wrote:Talking about issues. Could it be that because the sensor is exposed (when changing lenses and zooming), dust is going to be more of a problem than with a DSLR?

Not an issue on current mirrorless cameras like my GH1

John Brawley

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:

The CP.2s are enticing but costly for most of us.
During your use of the BMCC, did the CP.2s match what you had on the EPICs?

Oh and thanks for taking the time to answering these questions JB, you help most of us from jumping off ledges ;)[/quote]

Hi Eric.

I'm not really sure what you're asking ? I have a set of CP2 superspeeds which I use interchangeably between the EPIC and the BMCC on the current show I'm on right now. Is that what you mean ?

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Dave Dominguez wrote:No offense John but you're a established DP that has a choice on what lenses to use on any production. Most of us who this particular camera appeals to don't have that choice. We have EF lenses from shooting on a our DSLRs. It is a big deal. At least for me it is.

Sure fair enough.

I didn't think it was a big deal because I assume it will be fixed in the very near future.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Eric Santiago

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 pm

John Brawley wrote:Hi Eric.

I'm not really sure what you're asking ? I have a set of CP2 superspeeds which I use interchangeably between the EPIC and the BMCC on the current show I'm on right now. Is that what you mean ?

jb

Yes and as usual thanks for the very helpful contribution to this art :)

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 1:32 pm

aprilliasky wrote:
adamroberts wrote:

They have two kinds for Nikon's: with and without aperture control.
If you want to mount a G series of lens, than your only solution is with aperture control. Question is if the BMCC handles that? :?:

The Aperture control is still manual. I have the adaptor. I use it when I shoot on Canon 5D with my Nikon prime lenses. I also used it last week on my Sony FS100. I was running the Metabone EF smart adaptor (which is pretty much what the EF mount on the BMC is) as I was shooting with the 24-105mm f/4 L lens. I then needs to get a wide shot in so dropped my Nikon mount Tokin 11-16mm onto the camera via the Novoflex adaptor as I did not have my NEX-Nikon adaptor with me.

Everything worked just fine as the adaptor manually controls the aperture on Nikon G lenses. It has no electronics.

Marco Solorio

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Cuboirs wrote:It's pretty interesting how some of our favorite camera reviewers(P.Bloom/J.Brawley/V.Laforet/M.Solario) all reviewed this wonderful camera and non mentioned the fact that some of the most popular canon lenses wouldn't work properly with this camera.....would've been nice if for example M.Solario would've added that in the BMCC VS 5D review huhhhhh? Shame on you guys to miss this$$$$$$$

Shame on me?

LOL! Okay, let's put this into perspective here...

Shame on me for spending my own time creating free BMCC resources to help people.
Shame on me for taking precious time away from my family and friends for doing it over long nights and weekends.
Shame on me for not presenting every nook and cranny of information about the camera, above what I've already done.
Shame on me for running a facility first, tending to my paying clients, above the demands of the free internet last.
Shame on me for sharing the tediously created information I've found for my own personal use of the BMCC with everyone else, freely, unbiasedly, and openly.
Shame on me for not receiving one red cent from BMD for any and all of the personal testing I've done, and the feedback I've given them, which has directly been implemented into the firmware updates you receive when you get your camera, including updates to Resolve.

Yup, shame on me! LOL!

It's posts like this that just makes me shake my head and laugh. I'm in no way, shape, or form obligated to BMD (or to the people of the free internet for that matter) to test, analyze, and report feedback regarding the BMCC. Any amount of information I've given about the BMCC has been free, created from my own personal experience, and better than had it not existed in the first place. My 5D3/BMCC comparison video... the basis of that was for my own use in my professional workflow to ensure my productions can be the best they can for my paying clients, and I did NOT have to share my findings and results with another living soul on the planet. In fact, it would be to my advantage that I keep all my secrets close to the vest under lock and key... why would I want competitors to know my secrets? If you know anything about me, you know I've been working professionally in the industry for over 20 years, and over half of that time has been giving back to the production and post-production community in the form of articles and reviews—namely to the underdog/indie filmmaker type that does not have access to the large facilities or big budgets. I cherish the idea of producing big from the small.

So as such, these kind of posts just amaze me. It's reasons like this that forums are becoming less and less attractive over the years (but I am glad to see BMD have their own official forum, as it shows they do care about their customers, as forums are a huge PITA to maintain). I sometimes wonder if what I give back to the community is even worth it, and worth my time. But I quickly remember that the majority of people are good-willed, and shouldn't be punished because of the actions of a few bad seeds. Again, why shouldn't I just keep my trade secrets to myself as an edge against would-be competitors? But again, the fact is, the vast majority of people in this industry (ESPECIALLY those that use their real names and profiles) are good peeps, grateful peeps, and appreciate all the info they get from the community as a whole, whether it's from me, John Brawley, Philip Bloom, or anyone else sharing their own personal time to help others.

Bottom line, I discovered the 85mm f/1.2L not working with the camera the first day I got the camera, and I told BMD straight away. I know they will work on this fix, and as such, I have not been worried about it at all; I didn't think for a split second that something like this would need to have dedicated production/editing time to include in my video. As for the 35mm f/1.4L aperture not working... I didn't find this out until I did the Rokinon/Canon comparison blog only a week or two ago. But again, I'm completely confident BMD will fix this, especially in light of them adding IS functionality to the last firmware update.

Sorry for the long post. It's not typical of me to do so, as I usually just shrug this sort of thing off, roll my eyes, shake my head, do an LOL, and get back to my daily schedule. But I gotta say, this type of thought pattern of "hand me a complete review, covering every imaginable bullet point, including the ones I haven't thought of, right now while I wait, patiently watching Murder She Wrote, eating my now-vintage Twinkies" is getting kind of old and making me laugh less and less each time.

It never ceases to amaze me when people complain about FREE usable and informative content they receive from the internet, as if it just appeared there from thin air, with nobody behind the hard work.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Marco Solorio wrote:
Cuboirs wrote:It's pretty interesting how some of our favorite camera reviewers(P.Bloom/J.Brawley/V.Laforet/M.Solario) all reviewed this wonderful camera and non mentioned the fact that some of the most popular canon lenses wouldn't work properly with this camera.....would've been nice if for example M.Solario would've added that in the BMCC VS 5D review huhhhhh? Shame on you guys to miss this$$$$$$$

Shame on me?

Shame on me for spending my own time creating free BMCC resources to help people.
Shame on me for taking precious time away from my family and friends for doing it over long nights and weekends.
Shame on me for not presenting every nook and cranny of information about the camera, above what I've already done.
Shame on me for running a facility first, tending to my paying clients, above the demands of the free internet last.
Shame on me for sharing the tediously created information I've found for my own personal use of the BMCC with everyone else, freely, unbiasedly, and openly.
Shame on me for not receiving one red cent from BMD for any and all of the personal testing I've done, and the feedback I've given them, which has directly been implemented into the firmware updates you receive when you get your camera, including updates to Resolve.

Yup, shame on me! LOL!

It's posts like this that just makes me shake my head and laugh. I'm in no way, shape, or form obligated to BMD (or to the people of the free internet for that matter) to test, analyze, and report feedback regarding the BMCC. Any amount of information I've given about the BMCC has been free, created from my own personal experience, and better than had it not existed in the first place. My 5D3/BMCC comparison video... the basis of that was for my own use in my professional workflow to ensure my productions can be the best they can for my paying clients, and I did NOT have to share my findings and results with another living soul on the planet. In fact, it would be to my advantage that I keep all my secrets close to the vest under lock and key... why would I want competitors to know my secrets? If you know anything about me, you know I've been working professionally in the industry for over 20 years, and over half of that time has been giving back to the production and post-production community in the form of articles and reviews—namely to the underdog/indie filmmaker type that does not have access to the large facilities or big budgets. I cherish the idea of producing big from the small.

So as such, these kind of posts just amaze me. It's reasons like this that forums are becoming less and less attractive over the years (but I am glad to see BMD have their own official forum, as it shows they do care about their customers, as forums are a huge PITA to maintain). I sometimes wonder if what I give back to the community is even worth it, and worth my time. But I quickly remember that the majority of people are good-willed, and shouldn't be punished because of the actions of a few bad seeds. Again, why shouldn't I just keep my trade secrets to myself as an edge against would-be competitors? But again, the fact is, the vast majority of people in this industry (ESPECIALLY those that use their real names and profiles) are good peeps, grateful peeps, and appreciate all the info they get from the community as a whole, whether it's from me, John Brawley, Philip Bloom, or anyone else sharing their own personal time to help others.

Bottom line, I discovered the 85mm f/1.2L not working with the camera the first day I got the camera, and I told BMD straight away. I know they will work on this fix, and as such, I have not been worried about it at all; I didn't think for a split second that something like this would need to have dedicated production/editing time to include in my video. As for the 35mm f/1.4L aperture not working... I didn't find this out until I did the Rokinon/Canon comparison blog only a week or two ago. But again, I'm completely confident BMD will fix this, especially in light of them adding IS functionality to the last firmware update.

Sorry for the long post. It's not typical of me to do so, as I usually just shrug this sort of thing off, roll my eyes, shake my head, do an LOL, and get back to my daily schedule. But I gotta say, this type of thought pattern of "hand me a complete review, covering every imaginable bullet point, including the ones I haven't thought of, right now while I wait, patiently watching Murder She Wrote, eating my now-vintage Twinkies" is getting kind of old and making me laugh less and less each time.

It never ceases to amaze me when people complain about FREE usable and informative content they receive from the internet, as if it just appeared there from thin air, with nobody behind the hard work.

Well said, Marco! Cheers, and thanks again.

ckmayeux

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Marco Solorio wrote:

Shame on me?

Yup, shame on me! LOL!

Perfectly put Marco!
Thank you so much for your voluntary contribution that serves as valuable resources to many of us. I am relieved to see your acknowledgement of those of us that do appreciate your work and I apologize on behalf of those that do not.

Please keep it coming and thanks again for all your input!!
Ordered From: B&H
Order Date: 09/16/2012
Delivery: Not yet....

sean mclennan

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Other camera manufacturers may publish similar "lens compatibility" lists, but I'm familiar with the one Panasonic periodically updates for their Micro Four Thirds cameras:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/d ... t/gh2.html

Note that this list includes both Panasonic's own lenses, plus lenses made by other manufacturers.

It would be great if BMD published a list similar to this, but for the BMCC-EF.

Cheers.

THIS

(edit) The EF mount is simply that, a mount. It does not guarantee any function of Canon's lenses...only the mount. However, having said that, I would be supremely disappointed if BM did not endeavour to support as many of the EF lenses as technically possible and would publish such a compatibility chart. They already do so for SSDs. If there is going to be a gap in supported lenses, they should publish the same.

I wanted a Scarlet. Then when I read up on the BMCC, it was my new choice. This was under the assumption that it would share the same lens compatibility that the Scarlet does for EF lenses. This isn't something BM explicitly stated(?), I just assumed. Which honestly is my mistake. The main reason I didn't get an FS100 (or more recently the drool inducing FS700) is the lack of EF mount. I'm not impressed/happy with the metabones adapters and since I have close to $10K invested in Canon L glass, I really didn't want to start a second lens collection.

So, Grant, if you're reading this...what is the plan? Is BM's goal to support the EF line of lenses from Canon as much as technically possible? If so, or even if not, can we please get a compatibility chart? or at least a list of "known" offenders/limitations?

sean

Michael Sandiford

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Nice one Marco.

Though may I add. I'm a complete sellout, if Black Magic want to use me to make lots of online vids covering up every aspect of anything wrong in return for payment or free gear, I'm totally up for it. ;)

adamroberts

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Marco Solorio wrote:

Shame on me?

Well said Marco.

Mark de Jeu

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 12:16 am

Marco Solorio wrote:Shame on me?

Marco,

Don't be discouraged by those who choose to complain and attack rather than contribute and encourage. They may be vocal and aggressive, but thankfully their numbers are few.

IMO, you hold the high-water mark for how to conduct valuable camera comparisons. Count me among the many who are grateful for your value-infused contributions to the community.

Thank you,
Mark
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Cuboirs

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 am

Marco Solorio wrote:

Shame on me?

Yup, shame on me! LOL!

Marco beleive me i really do appreciate all the vids and helpful information from all you guys.In fact its thanks to you guys im even working in this field after spending the last 10 years developing and working directly with music artist (some even grammy award winning).Now I am very familiar with how companies market and promote theyre products ,which is why i wrote what i did ....

Now you say you knew the 85L wasn't working properly!...HMMMM... As a product reviewer Dont you say to yourself maybe these are the type of things consumers would like to or NEED to know! What if there's say someone who only has THAT PARTICULAR LENSE goes and PURCHASES THE BMCC only to find that it's a NO GO....How would this person feel about the situation.....So as it may not be a BIG deal for you or me it might be for someone else....JUST SAYING

A group of reviewers get their hands on the camera first yet non catch the problems ,its just puzzling to me .....And that's why I feel some of the reviews are biased.......I'm just giving my opinion doesn't mean anyone should believe me people just use common sense that's all.....

Ryan Best

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 5:12 am

I think it is so detrimental to us all - as aspiring filmmakers - to have someone like this criticising the very people that have provided endless information regarding this camera and several others - this for me and I'm sure many others is - beyond disrespectful.
If you have an issue regarding compatibility, that is an issue to be taken up directly with BMD or the original manufacturer (whichever appropriate) to seek resolution.

I can personally say that Marco's video was a key reference point in me making a decision to go with the BMCC.

Bloom, Brawley, Laforet, Solario... I SALUTE YOU ALL

Cuboirs

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 am

Ryan Best wrote:I think it is so detrimental to us all - as aspiring filmmakers - to have someone like this criticising the very people that have provided endless information regarding this camera and several others - this for me and I'm sure many others is - beyond disrespectful.
If you have an issue regarding compatibility, that is an issue to be taken up directly with BMD or the original manufacturer (whichever appropriate) to seek resolution.

I can personally say that Marco's video was a key reference point in me making a decision to go with the BMCC.

Dude i feel you but c'mon they were everyones reference point to deciding on the camera and picking the great points of the camera that shoots 2.5k vs a 1080p camera ...REALLY? Its what they didn't tell us thats the problem for me at least and i'm sure there are others......so whats so disrespectful i follow theyre sites and blogs probably more so than yourself and have never complained about anything but this issue kinda bothered me.....

David

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 5:36 am

Cuboirs has convinced me. All reviewers are conspiring against us in a plot to contaminate our water supplies. I shall put on my tin foil hat and hide under the stairs until this passes over.

Thanks Cuboirs!
David Daniel
Dilettante

Cuboirs

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 6:16 am

David wrote:Cuboirs has convinced me. All reviewers are conspiring against us in a plot to contaminate our water supplies. I shall put on my tin foil hat and hide under the stairs until this passes over.

Thanks Cuboirs!

welcome.......and no not all im not even saying all the mentioned but some for sure

Ryan Best

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 7:35 am

Cuboirs wrote:
Ryan Best wrote:I think it is so detrimental to us all - as aspiring filmmakers - to have someone like this criticising the very people that have provided endless information regarding this camera and several others - this for me and I'm sure many others is - beyond disrespectful.

Dude i feel you but c'mon they were everyones reference point to deciding on the camera and picking the great points of the camera that shoots 2.5k vs a 1080p camera ...REALLY? Its what they didn't tell us thats the problem for me at least and i'm sure there are others......so whats so disrespectful i follow theyre sites and blogs probably more so than yourself and have never complained about anything but this issue kinda bothered me.....

I think the overwhelming majority of people who participate on this forum, whether professional or amateur, experienced or novice - would agree that the moment one of the people (i.e Marco Solario in this case) feels strongly enough about an accusation that you have made - to then have to come out and defend himself in view of the very people that he has taken his time out to help is nothing short of disgusting.

I've read your post - I agree that the views you've expressed are correct, but they are aimed at the wrong people. I would hate to think that any of the guys mentioned may become discouraged from providing helpful information on future releases - on the back of your initial post.

You say you follow their sites and blogs probably more so than myself - while I will not be drawn into an argument over 'who's stick is longer, mine or yours' - what I will say is - if that is the case, you more so than anybody else should realise how much time and effort is required to put these pieces together.

The question should have been along the lines of... 'can you shed any light on the situation regarding... blah blah blah... instead of insinuating a conspiracy was in full effect.

And for the record - just so we're clear - MINE IS LONGER - LOL

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 9:01 am

Sha-ZAM! That's gotta hurt.

But, anyway...REALLY?!?! Do we need Bloom to come in here and defend himself now, too? Really, I don't get how you can be such a little...pain, koo-bwore, with such an unprofessional, unwarranted and real-life slappable attitude. These working pros choosing to inform and review and give back on their own valuable free time and....it's just damned disgusting the impotent lack of humility and humbleness and thankfullness you've routinely displayed. I'm really, really sick of your...you. I'd say I was disappointed had I ever been impressed by you. I'm going to see if there's a way I can block you now. And I've got a list of peeps from here I wanna foe-ify, anyway. "Makes me laugh a little less each time," indeed. Cheers. No signature for you.

John Brawley

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Cuboirs wrote:.....so whats so disrespectful..

When you make insinuations that there's a conspiracy to hide information or that I'm on the payroll of BMD to be paid to make it look good.

I'm offended. You're wrong, but you're entitled think what you want and tell the world about it.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Cuboirs

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Cuboirs wrote:.....so whats so disrespectful..

When you make insinuations that there's a conspiracy to hide information or that I'm on the payroll of BMD to be paid to make it look good.

I'm offended. You're wrong, but you're entitled think what you want and tell the world about it.

jb

JB sorry you feel offended!But like i said before it wasnt directly at you.
Its crazy how how people find it offensive to be on someones payroll! I'd be proud of my accomplishments to get to the point where people pay's me for my time -ohh wait ive done it myself already (company cannot be disclosed) but anyways.
Next

Return to Cinematography