Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 - Feature Request

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Charles Stewart Jr

Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 - Feature Request

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm

I was curious if we could expect ProRes LT or DNxHD 36 in future firmware updates? Or any of the other flavors available in those compressions?

I work for a small production company that produces tv sitcoms and tv movies for various cable networks. We recently purchased 4 Hyperdeck Shuttle 2's to use on our sitcoms. They are great and the recent addition of ProRes has just made it better.

Ideally we want to stay at ProRes 422(HQ), but for some projects we only need ProRes LT. So we end up having to transcode the footage down in Post which usually takes about a day depending on how much footage we have. So it would be nice to save that day if the device could do it internally!

I would gladly pay for this feature if it was offered because of the cost benefit it would save in the long run. Is it possible for the device to do this?

Charles Stewart Jr

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 - Feature Request

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:34 pm

The ability to assign a naming convention to the device would be great too.

So I could have it put "Cam 1" in the file name of that particular hyperdeck. That would also take an extra step out of the process and help the DIT verify backups.

Since we use 4 at the same time it can get confusing when you're brining in the footage. They all say "Capture 001" so you're left to putting them into a folder with the name you need to keep it organized until you can properly log the clips. Which actually creates an extra step, because we do most of our logging in the editing program.

Again, love the Hyperdecks and all the other Blackmagic products we own. Just some things we've noticed that would speed up the process.

Would love to try out the BMCC on one of our TV movies when they are easier to purchase.

Return to Cinematography