Atomos Shogun and BMPC 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sean Hegarty

Atomos Shogun and BMPC 4K

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 1:15 am

Will the Shogun be compatible with the Production Camera output? Also, would there be an advantage of recording 4k with the Shogun as opposed the camera itself? I ask specifically because the short Raw test shots I have been shooting, 30-40 seconds at a time, have caused the SSD to quickly heat up and become very very hot to the touch. I have not experienced any dropped frames but for longer takes, I imagine the SSD would be even hotter and eventually I am sure the heat build up would affect the SSD performance as well as the camera's sensor performance. So would using the Shogun keep the camera cooler?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Atomos Shogun and BMPC 4K

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 3:06 am

Most people who use the SSDs recommended for the BMPC-4K by BMD report few if any problems, regardless of the length or format (RAW or ProRes) of recorded clips. See:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59007

Concerning RAW, the BMPC-4K can record 4000 x 2160 12-bit RAW to an internal SSD.

The camera's SDI can output 3840 x 2160 10-bit 4:2:2 uncompressed for recoding on an external device.

So, an external recorder can record very high quality, but not as good as what the cam can record internally.

brianberneker

PostSat Dec 27, 2014 12:54 am

I just received the Atomos Shogun and was testing it on my BMPC4K.
Unfortunately it would seem I am only able to get output from it when set to 1080p mode.
When I set it to 4K the Shogun doesn't recognize the signal from it.

Has anyone else had better luck with this, and if so, is there a setting perhaps that I may have overlooked?

brianberneker

PostSat Dec 27, 2014 3:52 am

I would like to add that I applied the latest firmware update, 1.9.11 and still have no 4K signal that the shogun recognizes coming from the BMPC.

Ben Kaiser

PostSat Dec 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Same here Brian,

just received my Shogun this morning and applied the latest FW 6.01. I'm using the BMPC4K.
HD output over SDI works fine, but when set to 4K, the Shogun doesn't recognize the signal...
very sad! Is there any official statement from BM, what the problem might be?

cheers, Ben
cinematographer & avid editor

rick.lang

PostSat Dec 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Apparently it was explained in an Atomos forum that the implementation of the draft version of the specification for 12G wasn't not the same for the two vendors and hence incompatible at this time. Certainly when the 12G spec is certified final, the two will work together, if not sooner.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Scott Pultz

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 5:51 am

rick.lang wrote:Apparently it was explained in an Atomos forum that the implementation of the draft version of the specification for 12G wasn't not the same for the two vendors and hence incompatible at this time. Certainly when the 12G spec is certified final, the two will work together, if not sooner.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

The BMPC is 6G SDI

Dave Perry

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 3:25 pm

I guess folks want to use the Shogun to record a 4k backup? Other than that I don't see the point, well, the nice field monitor is a valid point also I guess, but the camera itself is in escence a portable 4k field recorder that has a sensor attached to it and a lens mount.

Those who have purchased or are considering purchasing one, I'd like to hear what you are using it for.
S1H
----------------------------------------------
LAcinematographer.com
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood, CA, USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

ryancheng2000

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Dave Perry wrote:I guess folks want to use the Shogun to record a 4k backup? Other than that I don't see the point, well, the nice field monitor is a valid point also I guess, but the camera itself is in escence a portable 4k field recorder that has a sensor attached to it and a lens mount.

Those who have purchased or are considering purchasing one, I'd like to hear what you are using it for.

I think he point is you can use a cheaper 1TB spinning drive instead of SSD for 4K recording.

Pete Lucas

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Dave Perry wrote:I guess folks want to use the Shogun to record a 4k backup? Other than that I don't see the point, well, the nice field monitor is a valid point also I guess, but the camera itself is in escence a portable 4k field recorder that has a sensor attached to it and a lens mount.

I'd like to record 4k on media that is less than a million dollars (cfast 2.0). I'm bummed to hear 4k Shogun isn't working. I will try it out on my URSA and see how it goes.
"Tell the truth and run." - Turkish Proverb

Dave Perry

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Valid points about media cost and type, however, it all costs money, regardless of the route one chooses. Time is money and if it takes a long time to develop a workflow, even if the hardware is more affordable, that is costing you money. If an out of the box workflow is more expensive but has been tried, tested, and proven to work with little to no learning curve, I consider it a cost effective solution. The BMD cameras all seem to fit the bill for my workflow.
S1H
LAcinematographer.com
Hollywood, CA, USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:10 pm

You are paying $2K for a 4K ProRes recorder that still requires SSDs, not HHDs to record 4K, per Atomos specs: "
HDD or SSD Storage
Record to single or raided 2.5" HDDs or SSDs for faster more reliable write speeds to manage 4K recording..." It is a nice monitor, but...
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dave Perry

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You are paying $2K for a 4K ProRes recorder that still requires SSDs, not HHDs to record 4K, per Atomos specs: "
HDD or SSD Storage
Record to single or raided 2.5" HDDs or SSDs for faster more reliable write speeds to manage 4K recording..." It is a nice monitor, but...

Tru dat.
S1H
LAcinematographer.com
Hollywood, CA, USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Scott Pultz wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Apparently it was explained in an Atomos forum that the implementation of the draft version of the specification for 12G wasn't not the same for the two vendors and hence incompatible at this time. Certainly when the 12G spec is certified final, the two will work together, if not sooner.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

The BMPC is 6G SDI

Thanks, Scott, for correcting that!

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

ChrisWarren

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Dave,

I see the Shogun as a valuable tool for the BM cameras. In a perfect world, I would shoot 4k Pro Res HQ (or even RAW) and use the Atomos to record 1080 HQ or proxies. Basically spending 2k to bypass transcoding.

Plus you get a great monitor for you or your AC!

~Chris

Dave Perry

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 7:33 pm

ChrisWarren wrote:Dave,

I see the Shogun as a valuable tool for the BM cameras. In a perfect world, I would shoot 4k Pro Res HQ (or even RAW) and use the Atomos to record 1080 HQ or proxies. Basically spending 2k to bypass transcoding.

Plus you get a great monitor for you or your AC!

~Chris

Good point Chris but doesn't your NLE create proxies for 4K editing?
S1H
LAcinematographer.com
Hollywood, CA, USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Kenneth Wan

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 1:45 am

Notwithstanding it's value as a 4K recorder, the shogun used only as a monitor imho is already worth the price compared to other monitors out there that don't even come close to it's features.

Not only is it a higher resolution than almost any other 7" monitor out there (most are 720p), but it's touchscreen, does internal 2 way conversion between SDI and HDMI. Has tons of power options that Atomos INCLUDED with the unit all in a hard case. XLR breakout, waveform, vectorscope and in the future when LUTs are implemented that'll even be sweeter icing on the cake.

I mainly got mine for the monitor and the recorder will be really handy when I need to rent an A7s or a C100.

Edit: Just think, the Shogun is basically the URSA HDMI...

François Zaïdi

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 am

Hello

I think the monitoring / waveform / SDI-HDMI conversion of the shogun is very appealing, specially because it is not more expensive than a proper monitor.
Moreover, if you have to go the FS7/F5 route (renting) one day, you already (will) have the external recorder.

Can you shoot 4K raw in the BMPC4K and downscale and 1080p for the SDI output to the shogun ?
Can the shogun trig the BMPC4K rec through SDI ?
Live Camera Director - Post production @ GIGOWATT FILM
French based AV production company

Please visit us : http://www.gigowattfilm.com

John Brawley

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Kenneth Wan wrote:Notwithstanding it's value as a 4K recorder, the shogun used only as a monitor imho is already worth the price compared to other monitors out there that don't even come close to it's features.

I think the Odyssey gives it a decent run for it's money ?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Dan MCcready

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Anyone with a shogun.

Can you record 4k in the bmpc and use the shogun just as a monitor? I have an A7s and was getting a shogun anyway, But wanted to know if it works as a monitor on the bmpc while recording 4k in camera?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Dan MCcready wrote:Anyone with a shogun. Can you record 4k in the bmpc and use the shogun just as a monitor? I have an A7s and was getting a shogun anyway, But wanted to know if it works as a monitor on the bmpc while recording 4k in camera?

I don't have a Shogun, but FYI: The SDI output of a BMPC-4K camera can be set to 1080p or 2160p. So for example, if the cam is recording 2160p ProRes or 4000 x 2160 RAW internally, an external device can use the 1080p signal for monitoring or recording.

This works perfectly with (among other things) my $125 HDTV and a Kinotehnik EVF using a Hyperdeck Shuttle as a SDI-to-HDMI converter. I can't imagine it won't work at least as well with a Shogun, too.

-

Dan MCcready

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 1:54 pm

Cheers Peter, I knew all of that, it's just I've not seen anyone using the Shogun with the Bmpc was wandering if there were problems getting a signal from the 1080 over sdi while recording in 4k. I Was looking at getting the new Marshal monitor for my Bmpc but won't if I can use the Shogun.

Return to Cinematography