B4 (broadcasting) lens on Blackmagic Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

wro

B4 (broadcasting) lens on Blackmagic Cinema Camera

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: B4 (broadcasting) lens on Blackmagic Cinema Camera

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 5:47 pm

If I recall correctly (this has been discussed previously), the lens needs to have a 2x tele (optical) extender feature so it can cover the sensor in the BMCC. The BMCC's sensor is about twice as big as that in a 2/3" camera, so w/o the extender a lens designed for a 2/3" sensor will vignette severely on the BMCC sensor.
http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

Most B4 lenses can operate in full manual mode. In addition, most 2/3" broadcast lenses also have servo zoom motors, so to use that feature, you'd need to supply power to the lens somehow.
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhook

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm going to sneak out to the storage barn and take about $20K worth of old lenses off some Ikegami cameras that are rotting there...just in case...

I might also take the AB battery mounts off of them...again...just in case...

;)

wro

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Today i make a test with this adapter -http://www.ebay.com/itm/B4-2-3-mount-ENG-FUJINON-Canon-to-EOS-EF-7D-60D-T4i-Blackmagic-adapter-/251175669546?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item3a7b3c8f2a

I used a Fujinon wide lens 4.5mm/1.8 with 2x extender (with extender is about f/4) and fujinon 7.6mm lens (the same f/4 with 2x extender)

I'll upload a dng and pro res on Sunday, but that looks very good (and 4.5x2 is very very wide).

wro

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 11:40 pm

My little test:

rick.lang

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 11:55 pm

wro wrote:My little test:

Interesting. Good of you to include the Samyang 14mm T3.1 T at the end of the clip for a comparison. I think I preferred the Samyang to the ENG lenses. What did you think?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

dustylense

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 12:09 am

well, I think the samyang 14 won't zoom over 10x.

wro

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 12:29 am

10x or more (standard lens have 15-16x, wide 10x). Samyang is sharper and wider than canon 7.6mm with 2x extender (same field of view as in 2/3" camcoder with standard lens - 7.6mm - i make this test too).

rick.lang

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 2:52 pm

dustylense wrote:well, I think the samyang 14 won't zoom over 10x.

True, I didn't mean to imply I preferred a prime as an ENG lens in general since that wont work, just that in the video comparison I liked how the Samyang looked at 14mm. But you knew that!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Max Manning

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 5:37 pm

I do quite like the image from the ENG lens. Something like this might be a great compliment to the BMCC when using it in a sports based production environment like tele or even for that day you just really need a zoom pull. Tho obviously the prime is quite a bit sharper.
Max Manning
Action Sports Videographer/Editor
Tempt Media/Media Revere
San Diego, CA

wro

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 pm

I must make another test. I dont have a lot of times for last test. I must correct the ENG lens in macro and make a test with siemens star. Stay tuned :)

Gregory Mandry

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:11 pm

What about an ENG lens on a new black magic pocket camera. Isn't the blackmagic pocket sensor that little bit smaller? For running and gunning, if I can get it to work, my b4 ENG lenses on a pocket would be an excellent solution? Not that any of my lenses have doublers, but there must be a solution for that? :?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Gregory Mandry wrote:What about an ENG lens on a new black magic pocket camera. Isn't the blackmagic pocket sensor that little bit smaller? For running and gunning, if I can get it to work, my b4 ENG lenses on a pocket would be an excellent solution? Not that any of my lenses have doublers, but there must be a solution for that? :?

Yes, this can definitely be made to "work" (2/3" B4 broadcast lens adapted to MFT on the new BMPCC), but the resulting image quality will, as always, be highly dependent on the quality of the required B4 lens and doubler. These will both need to be unusually sharp, distortion-free lenses for the highly magnified result to look good. Also, because of the crop factor(s) involved, even a very wide B4 lens will result in a relatively normal or short-tele focal length at the "wide" end.

A B4 lens requires external power for its servo zoom motor. There are B4 lens power cable adapters available on eBay.

So, yes, it absolutely can be done, and if the lens & doubler are of exceptionally high-quality -- will probably have to be a good HD B4 lens w. built-in 2x extender, not a SD B4 lens -- it would be a dream lens for wildlife and other shooters who need a relatively long-reach servo zoom lens solution. However, not many such lenses exist because they are very expensive; even used they typically aren't inexpensive.

Going even farther towards left field, I suppose one could throw a Speed Booster into the mix to make the system wider ... ! ;)

Note that the original BMCC with the MFT mount may be somewhat better suited to this application because the the resulting focal lengths will be wider than is the case with the BMPCC (a crop of 2.3 vs. 3). A B4 lens can't be used on the new BMPC-4K camera because even with a doubler a B4 lens can't cover a S35-size sensor (@ ~1.6 crop).

StuHaight

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Well someone had to do it.

Vimeo video number /80339416

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 5:08 pm

StuHaight wrote:Well someone had to do it.

OUCH!! All that effort editing and grading it and you leave the horrid windy audio in the track??? Odd. Put some music on it or no audio would be even better.

Lots of chromatic aberration on the edges of frame.

StuHaight

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm

adamroberts wrote:
StuHaight wrote:Well someone had to do it.

OUCH!! All that effort editing and grading it and you leave the horrid windy audio in the track??? Odd. Put some music on it or no audio would be even better.

Lots of chromatic aberration on the edges of frame.

Video replaced. Currently re-encoding. Vimeo video number is the same.

Just got the battery thing and have nice zooming capabilities now. I'll definitely be using this setup ALOT. CA is most evident zoomed in yes.

Graded in Avid Symphony quite quickly. Used the Arri Alexa LUT to start with then worked from there.

Return to Cinematography