F-stop issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

guillermojcholgado

F-stop issue

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 1:27 am

Hi,

I am planning to buy a BMCC very soon however I am not sure about this issue with the F-stop. I have seen everywhere that I can´t change or see from the camera, so what will I have to do? I mean I don´t always have the option to control it from the lens.

i have seen somewhere that it´s something they may change with a firmware update, but is it something official?

I have the same question regarding deleting clips straight from the camera... Will it be possible? If not sometimes is a waste of time and space on the SDD.

THANKS!

muratcangokce

Re: F-stop issue

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 1:30 am

guillermojcholgado wrote:Hi,

I am planning to buy a BMCC very soon however....

I don't think it is soon as you think...

I believe they are going to fixing these issues that you mentioned in your post.
www.muratcan.film

adamroberts

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 8:19 am

You can control the aperture from the camera on most Canon EF & EF-S lenses as well as Carl Zeiss ZE lenses. Currently the camera does not display the f-stop on screen but you can work it out as the aperture on Canon lenses changes in 1/3 of a stop steps. So each press of the button on the camera equals a 1/3 of an f-stop.

guillermojcholgado

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks for your reply. I though that this was the only way and I just wanted to double check.

Is it something they have officially said they are going to fix with a firmware update? Or is just a rumor and it maybe be like this forever? It isn´t the ideal way to work just counting the F-stops.

This issue, plus the battery and now the problem with the sensor has changed my mind and I am not sure if it the right camera anymore.

Thanks,

Guillermo.

Jesuan Soriano

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 11:37 am

muratcangokce wrote:
guillermojcholgado wrote:Hi,

I am planning to buy a BMCC very soon however....

I don't think it is soon as you think...

hAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Yes!! BMCC doesn't display the actual stop, but you can change it with the transport buttons. So if you open at all or close at all. Then do the math!!! :)

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

rick.lang

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 2:20 am

guillermojcholgado wrote:Thanks for your reply. I though that this was the only way and I just wanted to double check.

Is it something they have officially said they are going to fix with a firmware update? Or is just a rumor and it maybe be like this forever? It isn´t the ideal way to work just counting the F-stops.

Guillermo.

The BMCC MFT version uses manual lenses so you set your own aperture or spin the dial until the zebras on the LCD go away and note the aperture setting if you need to know it.
Rick Lang

jevon99

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 9:14 am

guillermojcholgado wrote:Thanks for your reply. I though that this was the only way and I just wanted to double check.

This issue, plus the battery and now the problem with the sensor has changed my mind and I am not sure if it the right camera anymore.

Thanks,

Guillermo.

What's the battery issue? The BMCC has an internal battery you can use if you need to change your external battery whilst shooting. I'm not sure it was ever really intended to be used on it's own... but it's good enough if you want to grab something very quickly in an emergency too :)
Glen Jevon
www.facebook.com/glenjevon

Cuboirs

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 1:19 pm

I dont believe theres an issue with the battery i actually find it much better than swapping batteries on a dslr.

Return to Cinematography