Location Report: Canon & Nikon lenses; external batteries

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rick Young

Location Report: Canon & Nikon lenses; external batteries

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Everyone

My latest report about filming with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is now running on Movie Machine.

http://www.moviemachine.tv/video/shooting-with-the-blackmagic-cinema-camera-part-2:-canon-and-nikon-lens-tests,-using-external-batteries/54141436/

Filmed in Australia and in London, this shows different aspects of working with the camera: using Canon or Nikon lenses, plugging in external batteries, shooting RAW or working with ProRes.

Having shot with the camera now for several months I would say thi is definitely a capable shooting machine and not something which has been overhyped.

I'm learning more all the time. Love being able to shoot to RAW, love the operation of the camera, and most importantly love the look of the images!

More soon,

Rick

Joaquin Torrents

Re: Location Report: Canon & Nikon lenses; external batterie

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Rick!
Joaquin Torrents

Lorenzo Straight

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Very nice. Thanks for posting, Rick.
Seems like the Nikon glass gives a better image overall. I know you mentioned you have know way of knowing the dynamic range in ProRes, would you say it's still much more than any DSLR?
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

sean mclennan

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks for posting Rick! I'm curious...when running a large lens, why not use the lens tripod mount? Is that not safe than hanging all that weight on the lens mount?

Joaquin Torrents

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 9:51 am

Rick,

I've just watched again your video and I find it extremely useful. Specially when you describe your battery choices. I find the Swit battery a very good power solution!
Thanks
Joaquin Torrents

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 11:03 am

Yeah Rick!!! Thanx for taking your time to shoot, edit and upload this great video. BMCC makes a beautiful image even in low light. I've noticed those black spots in the car lights. I hope BMD fix this.

Thanx a lot Rick!!!! :D

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Cuboirs

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Nice video Rick,Thank you for taking you're time to show us the BMCC,loved the shots.Would've been nice if you could demonstrate the canon 35L/85L or 24-70L for us to see exactly what flaw we might experience using those lenses that currently do not function properly.

matthijsliethof

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Cuboirs wrote:Nice video Rick,Thank you for taking you're time to show us the BMCC,loved the shots.Would've been nice if you could demonstrate the canon 35L/85L or 24-70L for us to see exactly what flaw we might experience using those lenses that currently do not function properly.

I suppose the flaw would be the same as with the 'Dumb'-adapters for the nikon lenses Rick used.

David

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:20 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Thanks for posting Rick! I'm curious...when running a large lens, why not use the lens tripod mount? Is that not safe than hanging all that weight on the lens mount?

The bmc is twice the weight of a 5d and the lens mount is vey very solid, so even with a heavy lens the center of gravity is much further back than a dslr. I'm going through all my lenses with the camera now and I don't think I have any that I would trust with a lens tripod mount.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Dave Chin

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Cuboirs wrote:Nice video Rick,Thank you for taking you're time to show us the BMCC,loved the shots.Would've been nice if you could demonstrate the canon 35L/85L or 24-70L for us to see exactly what flaw we might experience using those lenses that currently do not function properly.

the flaw is simply: 'press the FF or RW buttons to adjust the Iris. Nothing happens - lens stays wide open.'
currently enjoying my BMPCC & BMCC in Singapore.

Cuboirs

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 7:23 pm

I'd actually like for someone to do a review showing it first hand...

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Jesuan wrote: I've noticed those black spots in the car lights. I hope BMD fix this.

Oh, wow. Just noticed the blinking black dots in the car lights at around 1:35 mins or so. I do hope that's firmware fixable, otherwise that would be pretty awful.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 9:28 pm

totally, i saw them at first sight. So aweful, that's why we never should buy something until it's released and fixed :D . I hope they can fix it, yes.

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Jesuan wrote:totally, i saw them at first sight. So aweful, that's why we never should buy something until it's released and fixed :D . I hope they can fix it, yes.

Jesus

I'd like for BMD to make a statement about the black spot issue. I am fine with it if it gets fixed in the next firmware update.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

bhook

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 11:57 pm

I forget where I read that it was fixed in the last firmware update. :?

Jesuan Soriano

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 2:03 am

mmm...i've seen two videos with the lastest firmware and it has it. :D

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Cuboirs

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 3:57 am

Jesuan wrote:mmm...i've seen two videos with the lastest firmware and it has it. :D

Jesus

Ohhhh wow I just noticed it ,missed the first time around what could that be? Or what causes it? Is it even firmware fixable?

Return to Cinematography