Newbie Question - Video and Audio Monitoring

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

xIanBx

Newbie Question - Video and Audio Monitoring

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 10:25 am

I'm new to the post end of things, so please forgive my ignorance.

I've ordered a Blackmagic Cinema Camera and plan to shoot, edit, and mix some of my own narrative work.

If I'm posting on the new 2012 iMacs that include an TB to HDMI out, do I still require a converter or studio monitor like the mini-monitor or the HDlink? I can't find anything on the BM website that clearly articulates why these devices are needed.

In other words, can I not simply feed a video signal out from FCP X or Premier Pro to my Panasonic plasma over HDMI without a go between interface? What does the interface do to the signal?

Can I also not send a 5.1 audio signal out over HDMI directly into my Onkyo THX 7.1 AV receiver in order to monitor a 5.1 mix out of Logic or Adobe Audition?

If an interface is in fact required, what would be the best Blackmagic product for facilitating the output of both an HD video signal to a plasma TV and audio signals to an Onkyo receiver for 5.1 monitoring?

Thank you.

*Edit: "TB to HDMI out"

xIanBx

Re: Newbie Question - Video and Audio Monitoring

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 am

bump

Anyone?

Sareesh Sudhakaran

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 am

xIanBx wrote:I can't find anything on the BM website that clearly articulates why these devices are needed.

In other words, can I not simply feed a video signal out from FCP X or Premier Pro to my Panasonic plasma over HDMI without a go between interface? What does the interface do to the signal?

Yes, you can, as long as your graphics card supports it. If you want to monitor in 10-bit, get a Firepro or Quadro.

Can I also not send a 5.1 audio signal out over HDMI directly into my Onkyo THX 7.1 AV receiver in order to monitor a 5.1 mix out of Logic or Adobe Audition?

Yes you can, but your Onkyo is a consumer device that might 'color' the audio. Ideally, you'd want a system that will deliver the sound as is. A simple setup is an M-Audio sound card with two Yamaha monitors for stereo monitoring. If you have a 5.1 setup you'll need a room built for it. It's not simple at all.
https://wolfcrow.com
https://youtube.com/wolfcrow

xIanBx

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 6:02 am

Thank you, Sareesh. Very much appreciated.

My Onkyo has a "direct/pure signal" setting that apparently doesn't color the audio. I'll have to test and experiment. It's just nice to know in advance that my setup should work initially without the need for additional expenditures, at least not until I'm ready to optimize and enhance the workflow.

adamroberts

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 7:16 am

If you are grading in Resolve you'll need a card like the UltraStudio Mini Monitor to monitor your broadcast image on an external HD display. The Thunderbolt/HDMI signal from the Mac is not a broadcast signal.

Latest version of FCPX can now use a the Thunderbolt/HDMI output as a monitor.

Return to Cinematography