Can I use shift-lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

peterpan

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Can I use shift-lenses

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi,
I am a german based industrial photographer.
I need a system to record perspectival corrected scenes.
Is it possible to use Canon or Schneider Shift lenses on the Blackmagic Camera ?
Will there be problems like color fringing or vignetting ?

Regards Peter
Offline
User avatar

muratcangokce

  • Posts: 150
  • Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:36 pm
  • Location: Istanbul

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 pm

I think you should be able to use them with BMCC and I don't think there would any specific problem which you didn't experienced with any other cameras.
www.muratcan.film
Offline
User avatar

Christian Schmeer

  • Posts: 904
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm
  • Location: London, UK

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 1:33 am

If your camera isn't moving, you could also do vertical, horizontal, and distortion lens corrections in post. You could even do this in Adobe Lightroom with the RAW files from the BMCC (they are standard DNG files) and sync it over all the frames :D
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 2634
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Los Angeles California

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 3:23 am

You can use PC lenses.

The good news is that because the sensor is smaller, you have a lot more room to roam on the edges of your lenses as they are designed to project a larger image.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles
Offline
User avatar

Michael Sandiford

  • Posts: 285
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am
  • Location: Hereford

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 am

Samyang also do a ef mount tilt shift lens. http://www.samyang.co.uk/samyang-t-s-24 ... -lens.html
Offline

Seaborn

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 am

shift lenses on 2.3 crop factor will give you some trouble getting shapness...

tilt shift lenses works perfect with full frame, work so so with aps-c... IMHO
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com
Offline
User avatar

peterpan

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi, thanks for your answers so far.

Seaborn wrote:shift lenses on 2.3 crop factor will give you some trouble getting shapness...
tilt shift lenses works perfect with full frame, work so so with aps-c... IMHO


Does this apply only for tilt or do you think I might get focus problems with shifting as well ?

Another question.
I mostly use largeformat technical cameras with Rodenstock and Schneider lenses for my photographic work.
I don´t have any DSLR lenses. Not one.
Meaning I have to buy all lenses for the blackmagic Camera.

Which model would make more sence in the case, the EF or the MFT ?

Regards Peter
Offline
User avatar

Christian Schmeer

  • Posts: 904
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm
  • Location: London, UK

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 2:38 pm

I doubt there are any good tilt-shift lenses for the MFT mount. The EF mount BMCC and a Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L or Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II will probably be your best bet.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2313
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 pm

People have been using Lensbaby tilt-shift lenses with Micro Four Thirds cameras for years with great results. There are many models available, all fully manual, so should be compatible with the BMCC-MFT. Cheers.
http://lensbaby.com/lenses
http://www.peterdv.com
Offline
User avatar

Christian Schmeer

  • Posts: 904
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm
  • Location: London, UK

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:People have been using Lensbaby tilt-shift lenses with Micro Four Thirds cameras for years with great results. There are many models available, all fully manual, so should be compatible with the BMCC-MFT. Cheers.
http://lensbaby.com/lenses


I doubt the plasticy Lensbabys are of much use for industrial photography/cinematography. Maybe for "miniature" tilt effects, but not for clean perspective correction.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2313
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: Can I use shift-lenses

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 7:26 pm

cschmeer wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:People have been using Lensbaby tilt-shift lenses with Micro Four Thirds cameras for years with great results. There are many models available, all fully manual, so should be compatible with the BMCC-MFT. Cheers.
http://lensbaby.com/lenses


I doubt the plasticy Lensbabys are of much use for industrial photography/cinematography. Maybe for "miniature" tilt effects, but not for clean perspective correction.


Good point. Lensbabys are probably not a good match for the OP's application.
http://www.peterdv.com

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andrew Lucas, Edzel Yago and 44 guests