Camera Shipping Mini Update: 12/7

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Roland Öller

Re: Camera Shipping Mini Update: 12/7

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:07 am

Marcel Beck wrote:They'd make a lot of people happy if they can get it out by December 31st 2012 (especially me)

Within two weeks? Highly unlikely.

To be honest, I tend to be pessimistic in order to prevent disappointment.
I waited a long time for the Scarlet, that never came. Waiting is not the problem.

I just hope, it's not some kind of soul-crushingly bad news like overwhelming production problems or a price increase.
Any announcement that involves some kind of solution or delivery time table will be good news to me. Crossing my fingers.

By the way, it's Friday already, where I live. ;)

bhook

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:13 am

This might sound odd but I hope it's definitive. Either good news (i.e., we're back to full production and are shipping in volume as fast as we can) or bad news (i.e., the sensors are totally hosed and we've had to shut down production while we work it out). I'm so tired of the gray mushy updates (i.e., we think we've got the problem identified and will update you when we know more) that I really don't think I can stand it any more.

Rob Burgos

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 am

mhood wrote:This might sound odd but I hope it's definitive. Either good news (i.e., we're back to full production and are shipping in volume as fast as we can) or bad news (i.e., the sensors are totally hosed and we've had to shut down production while we work it out). I'm so tired of the gray mushy updates (i.e., we think we've got the problem identified and will update you when we know more) that I really don't think I can stand it any more.

I'm with you.
Rob Burgos
colorist/editor/producer
full circle post nyc

Jesuan Soriano

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:46 am

so US time.....headquarted in australia but US time....so...you can not say it now when in almost most of the world (here included) is already friday......sigh...

I think this will be the last update as mhood says....or really good or really bad....

JEsus
Jesus Soriano

Enrico Trippa

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 am

mhood wrote:This might sound odd but I hope it's definitive. Either good news (i.e., we're back to full production and are shipping in volume as fast as we can) or bad news (i.e., the sensors are totally hosed and we've had to shut down production while we work it out). I'm so tired of the gray mushy updates (i.e., we think we've got the problem identified and will update you when we know more) that I really don't think I can stand it any more.

+1
Filmmaker
http://enricoatwork.com

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 am

+1
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

blackhillfilms

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:21 am

cschmeer wrote:

+1

Yesterday (Thursday) my dealer in Melbourne sent me a message saying:

"We have been told that Blackmagic hope to have all their back orders filled by February/March. I wish we could be more specific. At least they’ve sorted out the sensor issue now."

Hope that helps you guys in USA feel a bit better.

Brad

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 am

blackhillfilms wrote:
cschmeer wrote:

+1

Yesterday (Thursday) my dealer in Melbourne sent me a message saying:

"We have been told that Blackmagic hope to have all their back orders filled by February/March. I wish we could be more specific. At least they’ve sorted out the sensor issue now."

Hope that helps you guys in USA feel a bit better.

Yep, I was told the same thing from my supplier last week. I guess we'll find out for sure soon enough.

Larry Sellers

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 6:30 am

They are gonna ship in July, just like they promised. They never said what year....

Nick Bedford

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 am

"I have a good feeling about this." - Optimistic Han Solo
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Jarateng

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 8:58 am

It's Fiday' East African time, Christine I'm online waiting for some good news.

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 9:01 am

Jarateng wrote:It's Fiday' East African time, Christine I'm online waiting for some good news.

It's 4AM in the US (Eastern time). We'll still have to wait for a few more hours...
www.christianschmeer.com

nonoor

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 9:05 am

any news?!!

Costa Louvieris

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 am

cschmeer wrote:
Jarateng wrote:It's Fiday' East African time, Christine I'm online waiting for some good news.

It's 4AM in the US (Eastern time). We'll still have to wait for a few more hours...

And it's Friday 20:05PM in Melbourne Australia! I'm pretty sure the world doesn't revolve around the US! And before you reply... Christine said BY Friday. Not ON Friday.

It's getting passed Grants beddy time!

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 am

Christine Peterson wrote:No, not delayed. We're still expecting an update tomorrow. (It's 6:30pm on Thursday, US Eastern Standard time.)

I know what the original message said, but this message from yesterday suggests "ON" Friday, rather than "BY" Friday. Maybe Grant is in the US at the moment, or maybe he will write an update this evening (Melbourne time) or maybe we'll have to wait for another 12 hours until it's Saturday morning in Melbourne. Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see...
www.christianschmeer.com

Costa Louvieris

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 9:33 am

cschmeer wrote:
Christine Peterson wrote:No, not delayed. We're still expecting an update tomorrow. (It's 6:30pm on Thursday, US Eastern Standard time.)

I know what the original message said, but this message from yesterday suggests "ON" Friday, rather than "BY" Friday. Maybe Grant is in the US at the moment, or maybe he will write an update this evening (Melbourne time) or maybe we'll have to wait for another 12 hours until it's Saturday morning in Melbourne. Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see...

That's all BMD has ever asked of us. WAIT. Well waiting is getting boring;)

Craig

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 10:46 am

Christine said last night on the other thread .........No, not delayed. We're still expecting an update tomorrow.

EDIT..
I seem to have repeated what everyone else says.
I should really wake up before I start posting. Lol

C.Maret

Pras

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Its friday, update time!!,

c.carlos.n

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:49 am

Good Morning, It's friday morning Eastern Time, ¿in the next 12 hours?
Carlos E Núñez

matthijsliethof

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm going to imagine that the message will be that they've already produced all backorders and sent those to the dealers as we speak.

And those bmcc have firmware v2.0 or something in which they fixed:

- format in camera / delete clips in camera
- EF mount / electronic EF lens communications
- black sun spots
- 60fps in prores
- visible f-stop
- battery indicator increments of 1%
- exFat formatting
- 4:3 filming mode
- visible record time (space left on ssd)
- cropmarks (customizable)

that or it's a new delay... :roll:

muratcangokce

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:27 pm

MatthijsLiethof wrote:I'm going to imagine that the message will be that they've already produced all backorders and sent those to the dealers as we speak.

- black sun spots
- 60fps in prores
- visible f-stop
- exFat formatting

"I have a dream!"
www.muratcan.film

Costa Louvieris

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 12:45 pm

MatthijsLiethof wrote:

Yes, now this one is looking more likely:)

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:It looks like we'll receive a detailed update by next Friday, US time.

Costa Louvieris wrote:I'm pretty sure the world doesn't revolve around the US!

It doesn't, but if that's what you've been told to wait for then that's what you have to wait for. And if "by next Friday, US time" means Saturday, Melbourne time, then I guess we all have to wait till Oz wakes up, don't we?
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

baforest

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Is it just me or does everyone look like a kid on Christmas (or whatever present giving holiday you may celebrate) morning? There's some cheerful people (Santa's nice list) looking forward to awesome gifts. There's some downers (likely the naughty ones) that aren't seeing that they could get the present they desire.
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 pm

baforest wrote:Is it just me or does everyone look like a kid on Christmas (or whatever present giving holiday you may celebrate) morning? There's some cheerful people (Santa's nice list) looking forward to awesome gifts. There's some downers (likely the naughty ones) that aren't seeing that they could get the present they desire.

Something like that. Anyway, it's 8:44 AM Central US time. We'll see what happens today,

baforest

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
baforest wrote:Is it just me or does everyone look like a kid on Christmas (or whatever present giving holiday you may celebrate) morning? There's some cheerful people (Santa's nice list) looking forward to awesome gifts. There's some downers (likely the naughty ones) that aren't seeing that they could get the present they desire.

Something like that. Anyway, it's 8:44 AM Central US time. We'll see what happens today,

I'm right there with ya. Woke up, gave them some time, and now waiting for Santa to come.
Bruce Forest

sean mclennan

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:21 pm

muratcangokce wrote:
MatthijsLiethof wrote:I'm going to imagine that the message will be that they've already produced all backorders and sent those to the dealers as we speak.

- black sun spots
- 60fps in prores
- visible f-stop
- exFat formatting

"I have a dream!"

Who wants 4:3? That's video format and it's a cinema camera...I doubt we'll see that feature. The rest of the list is bang on however :)

sean

Margus Voll

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:22 pm

maybe 4:3 for anamorphic ?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

jevon99

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:23 pm

4:3 feature request is so you can use anamorphic lenses without cropping..
Anamorphic lenses squeeze the image by a factor of two, thus projecting a 1.195:1 aspect ratio image onto the sensor. When using sensors that are natively 16:9 or even wider, it is necessary to crop the sides, resulting in a much smaller used sensor area and a different angle of view for the lens.
:)
Glen Jevon
www.facebook.com/glenjevon

matthijsliethof

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:25 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
Who wants 4:3? That's video format and it's a cinema camera...I doubt we'll see that feature. The rest of the list is bang on however :)

sean

It's meant for the true anamorphic shooters amongst us (not one of them though, anamorphic lenses are to meddlesome and expensive for my work)

*edit* what above said

Note Suwanchote

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 pm

for me, next firmware = great!
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm

swaneon wrote:for me, next firmware = great!

It was just wishful thinking. Let's hope the new firmware will cover most if not all of those requests though :)
www.christianschmeer.com

JerryBruck

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm

The British feature "Fish Tank" (2009; Andrea Arnold, d; Robbie Ryan dop) was shot in 4/3, no anamorphic. See it, a masterpiece! I think that aspect ratio would be a nice feature to have.

Joerg Plechinger

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm

sean mclennan wrote:

sean

Indeed 35mm film (cinema?) has an aspect ration of 4:3 ...!
Anamorhipcs have been used in order to make the images cinemascopic. :roll:

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Yes, hello, 4:3!

4:3 aspect ratio has nothing do with "video" specifically. I personally would only choose it for anamorphic use though, as I much prefer wide aspect ratios.
www.christianschmeer.com

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:10 pm

jevon99 wrote:4:3 feature request is so you can use anamorphic lenses without cropping..
Anamorphic lenses squeeze the image by a factor of two, thus projecting a 1.195:1 aspect ratio image onto the sensor. When using sensors that are natively 16:9 or even wider, it is necessary to crop the sides, resulting in a much smaller used sensor area and a different angle of view for the lens.
:)

That's not my understanding or how I'd explain it. The anamorphic lens or adapter has a front element or group that acts like a wide angle lens in the horizontal plane, but a normal lens in the vertical plane. So it squeezes the image horizontally giving for example twice the horizontal field of view but a normal vertical field of view. You can use a projector with an anamorphic lens that reverses the effect so on the cinema screen you see a much wider field of view than normally. Or you can expand the squeeze digitally in Resolve or your NLE so your rendered video has the wider field.

If you put a 2x anamorphic on a 4:3 sensor, you end up with a 2.66:1 aspect ratio. If you want to render out to a 2.39:1 widescreen format, yes, you would crop the sides. If you have a 16:9 sensor and a 1.35x anamorphic, then it will expand to a 2.4:1 aspect ratio. Older anamorphics are almost always 2x, hence the great desire to use 4:3 aspect ratio on the sensor. SLR Magic plans to make a 1.35x (or 1.33x) anamorphic designed to be used on 16:9 HD sensors like the BMCC.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Joerg Plechinger

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:36 pm

rick.lang wrote:
jevon99 wrote: ... Older anamorphics are almost always 2x, hence the great desire to use 4:3 aspect ratio on the sensor. SLR Magic plans to make a 1.35x (or 1.33x) anamorphic designed to be used on 16:9 HD sensors like the BMCC ...

Sorry, not really ...
Even "older Anamorphics" are available with different squeeze-factors i.e. 1,33x, 1.5x, 1,75x and 2x.
1,33 Anamorphics were made by Panasonic (AG LA 7200), Century Optics, Isco Göttingen (MC2000 a.o.) and a few others.
I'll recommend the Panasonic Adapter (I own it too), since it fits perfectly on modern lenses (screw diameter 77/72 mm.

sean mclennan

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Joerg Plechinger wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:

sean

Indeed 35mm film (cinema?) has an aspect ration of 4:3 ...!
Anamorhipcs have been used in order to make the images cinemascopic. :roll:

You're talking analog compared to digital. It's not a linear translation.

If you're are outputting digital cinema footage, why would you want to capture at 4:3? I'm not being an ass, I'm simply asking...

bhook

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Is this the right forum???? I get on here to whine about updates and we're talking anamorhipcs? :D

Joerg Plechinger

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:46 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
You're talking analog compared to digital. It's not a linear translation.

If you're are outputting digital cinema footage, why would you want to capture at 4:3? I'm not being an ass, I'm simply asking...

That's fine :D
It's because of the crop, as mentioned before.
What actually fascinates me when shooting with anamorphics is that certain look (anamorphic bokeh) as well as the characteristic cinematic horizontal lensflares. This is the only reason for me to go with anamorphics.

Cheers ;)

Joerg Plechinger

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 pm

mhood wrote:Is this the right forum???? I get on here to whine about updates and we're talking anamorhipcs? :D

Well let's get back to our waiting position :lol:

baforest

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Marc, this forum has been from "Where's the update" to "It's Christmas, I want my present (update)" and now we're on this... It's been crazy.
Bruce Forest

bhook

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:52 pm

baforest wrote:It's been crazy.

Typically, I really like crazy. :D

Tom

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 6:17 pm

mhood wrote:
baforest wrote:It's been crazy.

Typically, I really like crazy. :D

CRAZY???!! THAT'S OUR WORD OF THE DAYYY!

or is it "trickling"........
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

baforest

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 6:26 pm

He said the secret word!!!!!!!!! Crazy!!!!!!!!!
Bruce Forest

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 6:51 pm

I was about to continue the anamorphic talk but I see y'all are back to business as usual. Nevermind.

bhook

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Don't pout...start a thread instead. ;)

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 6:55 pm

I can smell the update, it's close. :D
www.christianschmeer.com

Felix Steinhardt

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm

cschmeer wrote:I can smell the update, it's close. :D

Oh not again cschmeer! Now it´s another week at least!

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Felix Steinhardt wrote:
cschmeer wrote:I can smell the update, it's close. :D

Oh not again cschmeer! Now it´s another week at least!

I was actually thinking that writing this might be bad luck. Didn't work last time, did it :lol:
I doubt BMD will let us down by not giving us any news this time though. I believe this update is a "make or break" type of situation for a lot of us.
www.christianschmeer.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography