Blind Camera Comparisons

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sweetunknown

Blind Camera Comparisons

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I was wondering if the GH2/3 could work well as a B camera. These tests are interesting.

10s

Re: Blind Camera Comparisons

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 am

This is pretty cool and informative. For many creative projects the GH2 does the job. Coppolla liked it best in the one Zacuto shootout! I imagine he has a pretty good eye and sensibility. This test confirms the reality that we have many tools that will deliver very acceptable results. Most of us here will not be delivering to the big silver screen so our works will mainly be seen of home flat screens; this also applies to the Hollywood works since less than 10% of the population go to the theatres. (90% of the U.S. population view at home)

IMO, the GH2/3's will work well as a second camera depending upon the situation, shot, sequence; I intend to use mine for action sequences or even a change in scenes... right along with my BMCC... when it shows up! Of course the GH2,3's will not have abilities of the BMCC so all these things need to be calculated into a project and tested and validated prior to any serious production.

Your B camera needs to support the vision/style of the project. If it supports it, then it works!

adamroberts

Re: Blind Camera Comparisons

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 12:36 am

The image out of all those cameras with limited post will be fine. It's when you come to grading and creating a specific "look" that the BMCC will shine. Even on your HD screen in your living room.

The GH2/3 is great but its shooting to a compressed 8bit image. With heavy grade work it will start to show its weakness. Even with the hack. It's still 8bit.

Return to Cinematography