Tokina 11-16 focus

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Brawley

Re: Tokina 11-16 focus

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 8:13 am

Just wondering...

for those that are having infinity issues on your BMCC cameras...when you put the lens on a reference camera, that IS hitting infinity....are you using AF or MF ?

Just wondering if the AF motors have a greater range of "action" than when in MF..

Also, how far away is INFINITY when you're testing it ?

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Richard

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm

JB:

Thanks for chiming in on this. In answer to your questions:

Tokina 11-16mm/2.8 - set at 11mm/2.8

On a reference Canon 7D, this lens infinity focuses very sharply in both Manual and Auto.
With the Tokina lens barrel slid down to the MF and 7D set for manual focus it infinity focuses and with the barrel positioned in the AF position and 7D set for Auto Focus it infinity focuses. At 2.8 iris in Auto mode the 7D does seem to hunt back and forth a bit trying to hit focus but it attains it. The infinity focus distances are various. When I then go back and compare the same scene shots with the Tokina back on the BMCC and shoot and bring into Resolve the infinity focus problem is very evident.

After using the 3 screw to the left adjustment for a Canon Tokina, infinity focus improved. I could get decent infinity focus down to about 12-13mm at low apertures, but still could not get an infinity focus at 11mm/2.8. But realistically in practice, usually the only time you are going to using 11mm at 2.8 AND WANT the background in focus is a LOW LIGHT wide shot. The rest of the time you are in 2.8 iris you have chosen this aperture to intentionally throw the background out of focus. Otherwise, you would want to be working more toward the sweet spot focal distance of the lens which is never wide open as far as I know. For me personally, all the other advantages of the BMCC far outweigh what I hope is a temporary issue. When I take the raw shots exposed just under 100% zebras into Resolve and see what can be pushed/pulled around - it is amazing. Having come from 8bit-HDCAM4:2:2 to this - no way is this problem going to have me leaving.

Nilscrompton

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 6:53 am

BIG NEWS! :D

As Malc84cine says in the FFD thread, shimming is the answer. You can remove the shim from the Tokina 11-16mm DXII EF to increase focus depth. The shim in mine looks by eye to be about 0.5mm thick.

Before removing it my furthest focus was 5m (@ 11mm f2.8), now it's past infinity. The down side is that the lens is no longer par-focal, but, it's now usable! And close focus is about 1-2ft, so no real dramas there. Ideally you could get different shims and swap them out till you get a good match to your camera. And then adjust the barrel rotation adjustment screws to add a hard stop if desired...

I'll make up a PDF with the process if anyone is interested.

N.

Nilscrompton

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 8:33 am

Below is a PDF of the process I followed to 'fix' the infinity focus issue on my Tokina. Previously my lens would only focus to ~5m - at f2.8 and 11mm, now it goes well past.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3464747/Tokina_Shim_Removal_v2.pdf

My lens markings for ∞ focus are now at 0.7m for 16mm FL and 0.5m for 11mm FL.

Closest physical focus is 55cm from camera at 11mm FL and 44cm from camera at 16mm FL. Reading on lens at this distance is ~0.3m, the quoted minimum focus of the lens..

So the downside is a possibly shorter focus throw, the lens is no longer par-focal, and minimum focus has gone from 30cm to 44/55cm.

Obviously a better solution would be to get a thinner shim. If anyone knows where to get replacement shims in different thicknesses that be pretty helpful...

Nilscrompton

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 am

John Brawley

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 12:19 pm

nilsonium wrote:
Anyone know if these will fit?

They are made specifically for the Zeiss CP lenses.

You can use them, but the holes won't line up. It's generally best to use one's made by the manufacturer of the lens.

You would have to cut them so that you could syill screw the mount screws through them. It would be a tedious job.

I would be nearly certain you can't ordinarily buy shims for a lens like the Tokina. They aren't designed to be field shimable.

The Zeiss CP's were designed to have interchangeable mounts and as such, they had to incorporate shims as part of that process. Changing the mount means that the collomation of the lens might change.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Richard

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 4:19 pm

I don't think this is a good solution for 2 reasons. Making a motion picture zoom lens non-parfocal means that any zoom shots go out of focus. Secondly, you ruin the lens for use on other cameras.

What this exercise does point to pretty clearly is that the infinity focus problem on many lenses is caused by too long of a flange distance to sensor site. It would seem a new flange from BMCC would be the answer.

Hoping to hear from BMCC soon on their resolution. The sooner the better as the issue is being published everywhere and besmirches what is a fabulous camera at a price point that is unbelievable for the image and what can be done with it. Like everything these days, people tend to focus on the few negatives instead of the plethora of values. I personally feel BM has handed me a tool I can own that makes a product that I could only attain by renting in the past. It is a shame they are getting dumped on for this apparently very fixable problem.

greg fiske

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Don't know if shimming is a good option. Adjusting the infinity stop seems better?

Mine was very minor, but was not hitting infinity on an EF version. Follow instructions and it makes the lens go past infinity, so you can actually focus it accurately. I'm used to this with all my ze lenses, as they allow for contraction. I rented the nikon versoin with the novaflex adapter, and it focuses past infinity by default (at least the copy I had did). I ran test with both to compare, and checked it on a mark II. On the EF version you move the screw the other direction. Facing the lens on the photo below, that screw ended up to the right (bigger gap). The three screws are not visible at one time, so you have to loosen two, turn and then loosen the final one, adjust your infinity focus, tighten, turn and then tighten the last two screws.

Nilscrompton

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 12:03 am

greg fiske wrote:Don't know if shimming is a good option. Adjusting the infinity stop seems better?

Definitely, if you can get away with adjusting the lens barrel rotation that's a much better option. This is more a last resort.

Nilscrompton

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 am

John Richard wrote:Secondly, you ruin the lens for use on other cameras.

Just so people don't take this the wrong way, if you remove the shim like I did, you can still use the lens on a canon DSLR, AF is fine, the focal lengths markings on the barrel are just shifted. And, as mentioned it won't maintain focus while zooming. But swapping in a thinner shim would go a long way to correcting this. Simply removing all shims is a bit of a sledge hammer solution...

John Richard

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 2:19 am

nilsonium wrote:
John Richard wrote:Secondly, you ruin the lens for use on other cameras.

Just so people don't take this the wrong way, if you remove the shim like I did, you can still use the lens on a canon DSLR, AF is fine, the focal lengths markings on the barrel are just shifted. And, as mentioned it won't maintain focus while zooming. But swapping in a thinner shim would go a long way to correcting this. Simply removing all shims is a bit of a sledge hammer solution...

Just so people are forwarned, I am posting what the highly respected John Brawley warned elsewhere on the shim removal method of attaining infinity focus (I sincerely hope JB does not mind my quoting him here - but thought it an important warning):

"Guys.

What you're doing here is shimming your lens to the camera. In this case you're removing a single or multiple shims to do that. Even a single shim might look the same but be a different thickness. They are often colour coded for thickness.

You should also note, this is a job of a lens technician. As some have noted, some lenses have different shims...some have more than one. This is evidence that this job (adding or subtracting shims) is a very precision job.

Now that you've removed your shim, you lens is no longer hitting the standard FFD. You've changed it to make it work on one camera. They now most likely will have issues on every other camera.

You're also missing that cameras also have shims in their mounts. In BMCC's case these are set at the factory (thus also nixing the extra cover glass changing the FFD theory).

This means that there is potentially something going wrong at the QA stage, or that there is a mechanical or manufacturing issue where the FFD is changing after it's been set or the custom engineering tool BMD built to measure FFD on each camera is slightly outside the tolerance it needs to be...or it's something else.

We know that not all cameras do this.

We know that not all lenses do this.

We know that this particular lens has similar issues on other cameras.

BMD are working on it. Changing lenses like this is a pretty drastic step. You're making your lens unusable on any other camera (and unsaleable). You should know that often you can't just put a shim back in and expect it to be the same. The tension of the screws, the orientation of the shim.....even changing the orientation 180 deg can affect the way the lens performs. It's not unusual to need different shims to get to a different FFD for the lens after doing something like this.....

jb
(has shimmed many lenses and cameras in his time as a technician at a camera rental company)

Roland Öller

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Is there a fix for this problem?

I just tried to take my Tokina apart but didn't get very far. I have no idea how to get to those screws to adjust the infinity focus. I also can't find any documentation online. :(

Has anybody actually done this? The picture of that "opened" lens looks very different from my lens somehow.

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Roland Öller wrote:Is there a fix for this problem?

I just tried to take my Tokina apart but didn't get very far. I have no idea how to get to those screws to adjust the infinity focus. I also can't find any documentation online. :(

Has anybody actually done this? The picture of that "opened" lens looks very different from my lens somehow.

This might help:
http://www.christianschmeer.com/blog/re ... djustment/
(EDIT: URL changed!)

On the Canon mount version, move the three screws to the far left of the oval, rather than the far right.
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Tue May 13, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Roland Öller

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:
This might help:
http://blog.christianschmeer.com/resear ... djustment/

On the Canon mount version, move the three screws to the far left of the oval, rather than the far right.

I did it! Thanks, Christian.

It still doesn't seem to be perfect but it definitely looks better now. Hard to tell at low light. I will do some tests tomorrow to see if it is sharp at 11mm now. It should at least be sharpER.

By the way, I had to remove a total of 5 screws from that inner ring. You only mentioned 3 and at first I didn't see the other two, until I rotated the whole ring. I thought, I'd mention that.

Thanks again! :)

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Oh, only the 3 screws in the oval shaped holes need to be removed (or loosened) and shifted. The two screws that stick out with the golden outline are just guides for the focus ring to grab the inner part of the lens to be able to move it in and out of focus. You do need to push the guide screws (therefore moving the inner focus mechanism) to reach all three screws in the oval holes though.
www.christianschmeer.com

Roland Öller

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:Oh, only the 3 screws in the oval shaped holes need to be removed (or loosened) and shifted. The two screws that stick out with the golden outline are just guides for the focus ring to grab the inner part of the lens to be able to move it in and out of focus. You do need to push the guide screws (therefore moving the inner focus mechanism) to reach all three screws in the oval holes though.

Yeah, I just realized that after I opened the lens a second time. :roll:

Unfortunately the adjustment wasn't extreme enough with the 3 little screws in place. I have now removed them completely so the wheel can turn as far as possible with only the golden guide screws. I hope this doesn't damage the lens somehow but this way It seems to be almost sharp now which might be enough. Again: I need to test it tomorrow.

I really want to keep this lens so I hope it works well enough now.

John Richard

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Any news Kristian Lam or others at BM working on this flange issue?

Craig

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Yea..same as what he said.

ANY NEWS?

Roland Öller

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 pm

If anybody is wondering:
Adjusting the infinity focus has actually helped. I can now use the lens. Wide shots at 11mm are only the slightest bit blurry but hardly noticeable at all, unless I film at 2.8.
If I sharpen the image slightly, that goes away too.

So I'd say, the lens is very usable for me now. Not perfect, but usable.

Benton Collins

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 4:51 am

I have the DX version of this lens, not the DX II version. When I opened up the lens, I could find only two recessed screws in two oval adjustment troughs. I removed the two screws and attempted the recommended adjustment.
For the life of me, i could not get the screw holes to move at all. The screws were very far to the left anyway, so I'm not sure if I could have moved them further anyway. It's dark out, so I haven't checked the infinity focus yet, but I doubt anything was changed. Any ideas as to what went wrong?

John Richard

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Benton:

If you have the Canon EF version and the 2 screws that you can see are already all the way left in the oval slot, there is no adjustment left to you unfortunately.

And to get to the 3rd screw you cannot see, it is hidden under a cover. To gain access, you can slide one of the brass sleeved screws to reveal the 3rd screw.

But again, if your lens currently has the 3 screws all the way left in the oval slot, then there is no adjustment left.

The good news is that this lens is one of many lenses that are affected by what is suspected to be a flange distance issue and BM has officially said here on the forum that they are working on a resolution (if it is determined that it actually is a flange distance issue.)

Michael Odhiambo

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Has anyone tried the 16-28 which is designed for FF?

danap

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 6:54 am

Why does it take such a long time for Blackmagic Design to react officially to the many many users reporting backfocus issues with MANY lenses? A serious company would have reacted immediately to such alarming finding.
As far as I can see the inability to reach infinity focus may be due to one or to the combinations of several of these factors:
1. inaccurate flange distance from sensor;
2. accurate flange distance from sensor, but, faulty sensor glass filter that alters the pictures (refraction, diffraction) affecting particularly the shortest focal lengths;
3. light wave length issue in the sensor or sensor-glass combo, or microlens-photosite combo, with plane discrepancy for R, G and B light waves;
4. lack of focusing tolerance in some lenses.

So now, BMD, please react credibly and remember that the way you deal with your early customers (I own a BMCC too) will contribute positively or negatively to your future reputation.

John Bauer

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 pm

This also worries me a lot. On one thread about this issue an Black Magic official said that they are looking into this issue. But still no official explanation yet.

I'm not an expert but shouldn't it be simple to rule out any manufacturing intolerances/ issues? E.g. isn't it possible to mesure the flange distance?

Eric Santiago

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 pm

They are new to this, give them time.

bhook

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:give them time.

SMH...

Scott Pultz

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Since the Tokina can accept filters unlike the Sigma 8-16, I would really like to use this lens. At the moment is it just a dice roll? Do some lenses actually work or do none of them work at infinity?

I would love the 8mm of the Sigma, but I don't see how it can be ND filtered.

Sean

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 12:25 am

Scott Pultz wrote:Since the Tokina can accept filters unlike the Sigma 8-16, I would really like to use this lens. At the moment is it just a dice roll? Do some lenses actually work or do none of them work at infinity?

Matte box.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Scott Pultz

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 12:28 am

Sean wrote:
Scott Pultz wrote:Since the Tokina can accept filters unlike the Sigma 8-16, I would really like to use this lens. At the moment is it just a dice roll? Do some lenses actually work or do none of them work at infinity?

Matte box.

Good point, I should have mentioned that I would be hiking and taking a matte box along with large filters would be less ideal than a screw in filter.

Sean

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 am

Scott Pultz wrote:
Sean wrote:

Matte box.

Good point, I should have mentioned that I would be hiking and taking a matte box along with large filters would be less ideal than a screw in filter.

There's a bunch of solutions to rigging filters to the Sigma 8-16mm, but it's not as simple as just "screw it on".
http://www.stockholmviews.com/sigma_8-1 ... lters.html

Just evaluate what you really want and how you'll be using it.
Do you want a wider lens for outdoor shots? Get the Sigma and sacrifice the use of ND's unless you rig them on or have a matte box. This lens is tried and trued as working great on the BMCC.

Do you want a less wide lens that can take filters and be used for interiors/lower light? Get the Tokina and gain the faster aperture but lose out on the wider end. Also deal with the fact that it's slightly less sharp and is reported not focusing to infinity by many people on the BMCC.

FOV comparison:
http://hopperscott.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... -home.html

Sharpness comparison:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... &APIComp=0
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Scott Pultz

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 am

Thanks Sean! Comparing 8mm vs 11mm really has me leanings towards the Sigma now. I already have the Samyang 14mm F2.8 if I need something for low light, granted not as wide as 11mm.

The Lucroit filter holders are expensive but would do the trick. They also have an adapter for the Samyang.

Cabraswel

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 pm

So, is it confirmed that the Nikon Version of this lens with an adaptor is a viable fix?

John Bauer

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 pm

Cabraswel wrote:So, is it confirmed that the Nikon Version of this lens with an adaptor is a viable fix?

no. Some worked fine but I have read about ones that didn't

Noel Sterrett

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Looks like Blackmagic have decided to fix the problem:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4319&start=80#p34222

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 pm

muratcangokce

PostSun May 12, 2013 5:27 pm

what happened to this issue?

my camera came in mid april and next week I'll be getting a tokina 11-16 dx1 so what will happen I am really wondering.
www.muratcan.film

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun May 12, 2013 11:15 pm

muratcangokce wrote:what happened to this issue?

my camera came in mid april and next week I'll be getting a tokina 11-16 dx1 so what will happen I am really wondering.

You'll find out next week when you put your Tokina 11-16mm lens on your camera.

If it can focus to infinity, great: You're done. If not, contact BMD.

-

Mindlesschunk

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 pm

I have been using the tokina with the blackmagic for a couple months now.. I'm selling it. I'm going to get a Rokinon 16mm, and a canon 50mm 1.4
the tokina isnt sharp at all and doesnt focus when shooting at 11. when shooting at 16 it looks fine, but i never move from 16mm

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 11:28 pm

"i bought a NIKON tokina 11-16 and a novoflex adapter with iris control and it works beautifully. it focuses PAST infinity now at both ends, so i have to bring it back, but at least i know I can nail it and it is sharp"

+1. No issues for me either. Lens works great.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dennis Nomer

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 am

I have a Canon EF mount Tokina 11-16, and last night I sat down and did the focus fix ala Christian Schmeer's walk-through. The main problem with his walk-through, also noted by others, is that you cannot see all of the little screws that you have to take out. Of course it WILL NOT loosen until you get all three out. You have to rotate the inner part to see all three screws. My lens was set right in the middle of the three slots. So I adjusted it all the way left and replaced the three screws and so forth, and it made quite a difference. I did not get to shoot outdoors with it until this morning, but now I pronounce it quite usable. At f2.8 indoors, I could get sharp focus across a big room at full wide. Outdoors, 2.8 is too much light, so I had to stop down, and when stopped down, it focuses just fine at say 50 yards distance, which is all I would tend to need. It is also probably fine at a farther distance, but I don't shoot far stuff with it much. I might use it full wide to take in a building, for example, but that won't be very far away. I was doing manual focusing.

So in sum, the Schmeer fix (with added notes on how to locate all three screws) worked very well for me.
Dennis Nomer

Chris Martin

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 11:47 pm

I just bought a BMCC from B&H.

I am still unsure about one thing with the Tokina 11-16mm infinity focus problem:

Do still need to fix the lens itself? Or with the fix of the BMCC back in April -and the fact that my camera is new - does that fix all the problems?

Or to ask my question another way. To have good infinity focus, do you need a post April BMCC and ALSO a modified Tokina 11-16mm lens, or, just one or the other.

Thanks!

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 1:00 am

The Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 lens is prone to infinity focus issues itself (production variation). If you end up with one that doesn't hit infinity on a post-April BMCC, the lens may need to be adjusted. Some people have absolutely no issues though.
www.christianschmeer.com

Chris Martin

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks for the answer :D
And that's for your original post solving this issue!

I looked closely at your post on how to fix the lens by shifting the screw holes to the left (mine would be the EF mount)

I am curious about how this came to be from Tokina... when they manufacture them do they just put the screw hole in the oval anywhere because for a normal Canon camera it would be fine like that (they did not anticipate the lens being used on a BMCC).

Or are they all supposed to be to the left (or right)? And if it's in the middle then someone messed up when they put the camera together at the factory?

Also,

I have a Canon 60D and I was planning on using the Tonika for that too. If I do have to adjust the lens, would it no longer work for the 60D?

Any idea?

Thanks!

Paulo M. de Andrade

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 7:17 pm

I have a month old BMCC and a brand new Tokina 11-16 II. No infinity focus issues and the lens is very sharp.

Chris Martin

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 3:04 am

Paulo M. de Andrade wrote:I have a month old BMCC and a brand new Tokina 11-16 II. No infinity focus issues and the lens is very sharp.

Thanks for the reply!

xerman

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 am

Hi!!
I just found this forum searching for a solution for my tokina (canon mount).
I also have the infinity focus problem.
Unfortunately I can't access to Christian's blog with the explation of how to dissamble the lens, and I don't dare to do it myself.

Anyone has a copy of the instructions? That will be much appreciated.

Best,

Xermán

joechiazza

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 10:28 am

I sold the tokina 11-16 for a rokinon 16. My tokina had no issues focusing, it just produced no where near the image that the rokinon does. It's not just sharpness it's the color and contrast too. The tokina just looked very digital to me. That is why I'm super hesitant to purchase the sigma 18-35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hearnia

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 11:27 am

joechiazza wrote:I sold the tokina 11-16 for a rokinon 16. My tokina had no issues focusing, it just produced no where near the image that the rokinon does. It's not just sharpness it's the color and contrast too. The tokina just looked very digital to me. That is why I'm super hesitant to purchase the sigma 18-35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the sigma 18-35 have to do with the tokina 11-16? Two totally different companies, lenses, and focal lengths.

The rokinons are great but they are just still photo glass inside of cinema housings too.
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

joechiazza

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 12:20 pm

They are both zoom lenses that everyone raves about.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 2:32 pm

xerman wrote:Hi!!
I just found this forum searching for a solution for my tokina (canon mount).
I also have the infinity focus problem.
Unfortunately I can't access to Christian's blog with the explation of how to dissamble the lens, and I don't dare to do it myself.

Anyone has a copy of the instructions? That will be much appreciated.

Best,

Xermán

Sorry about this. I moved my site and blog to another host and things got a bit messed up in the process. I'm putting the old posts back up though. Here is the new link to the infinity focus adjustment post:
http://www.christianschmeer.com/blog/To ... Adjustment
www.christianschmeer.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography