BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ben Dickins

BMCC

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 1:02 pm

I have just started using the BMCC, I have been reading the forums here for a few years and been very helpful with all the advice. Yesterday I did some film in RAW. ISO 800, Zebra 100% and used ND to make sure nothing was clipped.

When I open the DNG files in Adobe Camera Raw it show a lot of clipping in the highlights, should this be happening when I am using ND so that no Zebras appear when shooting?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

David Chapman

Re: BMCC

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Hey Ben!

What happens when you adjust the exposure in Adobe Camera Raw? Do the over exposed areas show detail? If so, you can play with the highlights slider to bring back that detail while maintaining the overall exposure.

If not and areas are in fact over exposed, here's what probably happened: With zebras set to 100%, you will see zebras when all 3 channels are clipped. However, if a single channel (red for example) is clipped, you won't see zebras right away. People on here have now set zebras to 95% to compensate for any single channel clipping that could potentially occur.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Scott Stacy

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Are you sure that Adobe did not add a Rec.709 LUT behind that scenes to the DNGs for viewing purposes? This will happen in Premiere and you have to turn off the LUT. I hate that. Premiere does this with RD3 files, too. Just a thought, as that could be the cause clipping.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist/Former DP

Windows 10
HP Z8
Geforce RTX 3090
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 18.6
BMD Pocket 6k Pro

Ben Dickins

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 7:27 pm

I used Davinci resolve this afternoon to process the RAW files and they are fine, rather beautiful in fact. Blackmagic make truly stunning cameras.

Thank you for the replies I feel like I have posted this and then sorted it myself, but it is nice to meet many of you and say hello, I have followed many of your posts, ideas, and creative insights for over two years without posting so it is nice to say hello.

This forum and its people are a very valuable and inspirational source of knowledge.

Ben

Tom

PostWed Aug 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Ben Dickins wrote:I used Davinci resolve this afternoon to process the RAW files and they are fine, rather beautiful in fact. Blackmagic make truly stunning cameras.

Thank you for the replies I feel like I have posted this and then sorted it myself, but it is nice to meet many of you and say hello, I have followed many of your posts, ideas, and creative insights for over two years without posting so it is nice to say hello.

This forum and its people are a very valuable and inspirational source of knowledge.

Ben

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your new camera!

Its a quirky beast but my god it can produce some stunning images when used right.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Welcome aboard Ben. Keep shooting, Life is short...
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ben Dickins

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 11:30 pm

Thank you all, I thought I would add to this as I don't want to clog up the board with questions.

I have the metabones BMCC Specific speedbooster on the camera, obviously it doesn't tell me the F-Stops, it would be nice to know them, so I calculated them on the Sigma 18-35 going by Metabones guide which indicates the speedbooster gains 1 and 1/3 stops.

So calculating the F-Stops (1-7 on the speedbooster ring) with the Sigma 18-35 ..... 1.8 becomes 1.1
So counting the F-Stops off....

1.1, 1.6, 2.2, 3.2, 4.5, 6.3, 9

Does this sound correct in my workings? appreciate the expertise and advice in advance.

Ben

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 5:51 pm

if you are using the Nikon to BMCC SB, set the lens (using a non G lens) f/stop to 2.8, then set SB ring to "F" while looking at the monitor or EFV, rotate the SB control ring until the image starts to get daker, and does not change, back up little to find the spot it stops changing, then look at the SB index, this is your 2.8 minus the 1 1/3 f/stop setting. Move to 3.5, and do it again, this way you can calibrate the SB ring to match the modified f/stop. Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Ben Dickins wrote:When I open the DNG files in Adobe Camera Raw...

Ben

Ben, I'm not 100% sure but I think you need the Vision Color DCP profile ($16) to get the right result opening Cinema DNG files in Adobe Camera Raw. I got it and my BMPCC Raw footage looks as expected in Lightroom and Photoshop.

http://www.vision-color.com/bmdfilm/

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Ben Dickins

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Thank you Danny, I had not thought of this method, unfortunately I don't have another lens to hand. So I thought I could calculate based on Metabones stated details for the Sigma 18-35, they state wide open i.e. position "f" its is 1.1. Therefore could I not use that as my reference and count the stops up as I move through 1-7 on the adapter ring?

Ben

Ben Dickins

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi Steve I used resolve in the end and it was fairly straight forward. I do have the vision color for Adobe Camera Raw and that did work too.

Return to Cinematography