Shipping dates

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

bhook

Re: Shipping dates

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 12:52 am

cgurtlinger wrote:Sorry I just had to do that! I just hope that the parts hold up is solved sooner then later or what ever the actual cause to it shipping in limited quantities is resolved in the next few weeks and they get fully up and running with cranking them out!

Don't we all? But I'm afraid we've slipped in to some sort of time warp...everything is going red on me. :o

Bill Rich

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 1:48 am

FYI.. I ordered from B&H from the U.S. and not only has my card been charged.. I've been making payments on a camera I don't have yet.. Blackmagic design is a respected company.. and while I am as eager as everyone else to get my camera.. I also understand things happen. I have shoots planned that I hoped to use the BMCC.. but if not I'll make due with the cameras I have.. and just delay any BMCC shoots until I have the camera in my hands.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Eric Santiago

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 2:11 am

Bill Rich wrote:FYI.. I ordered from B&H from the U.S. and not only has my card been charged.. I've been making payments on a camera I don't have yet.. .
How could that be? I am sure only outside US pays up front.

PaulDelVecchio

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 2:17 am

Okay guys, so Dan May was just on The Digital Production Buzz podcast and he mentioned the camera briefly. It's the same story as it was and that's why we haven't received an update. Basically, some other party or parties that needed to get their parts to BMD aren't able to do in the specified amounts, so there's a delay. That was the story a week ago, that's still the story. That's why we haven't heard anything else because it hasn't changed. So can we at least stop the hostility? It's still up in the air and they're working hard to get it to us.

The podcast (it's toward the middle):

http://www.digitalproductionbuzz.com/20 ... FKSqKTyZZE
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 3:11 am

The official word from BMD was that production has slowed, not stopped, and also that shipments are going out. Has it stopped completely while they wait on parts? Should none of us be expecting anything to trickle out? How long until their parts will get in and then how long is the production and shipping process before it hits the US distributer (for th first time)? Are we talking weeks or months?
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Kfhammond

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 7:47 am

I was on the Digital Bolex page the other day, and I found it really interesting comparing how these companies are controlling the publication of their cameras' production. Digital Bolex posts rather lengthy blogs detailing the production of the camera, and explaining delays and set backs. Why can't we get something like this from Blackmagic?

I think a connection with your customers is pretty important. I'm debating pulling my bmcc preorder in favor of the Bolex. Thoughts?

http://www.digitalbolex.com/sept-update/

Rob Burgos

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 1:48 pm

The Digital Bolex ran a kickstarter campaign to raise money to produce the camera. That's why updates should be in order.

For reference:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joe ... m?ref=live
Rob Burgos
colorist/editor/producer
full circle post nyc

paul schefz

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Rob Burgos wrote:The Digital Bolex ran a kickstarter campaign to raise money to produce the camera. That's why updates should be in order.

For reference:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joe ... m?ref=live

so because BMCC is not kickstarter, no updates should be in order?

i have said it before...if digital bolex would handle their product release like BM does, the product would be dead....

i don't understand why it is so completely impossible to give us a little information....

Rob Burgos

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 pm

But that's just it... they did give us information. What everyone is asking for is constant information. Constant updates. I don't think they have to do that.

The difference between BMD and the Digital Bolex is that BMD didn't ask you for money to produce a product. Therefore, they are not obligated to give you updates. If I'm giving money to help a cause, I'd like to know where my money is going. Yes, updates would be nice but they don't have to.

AND I did pre-order with BH and based on my last CC statement, I have NOT been charged for my pre-order. I want my camera just everyone else here, but I understand delays. I work with them every day. When I finish a film, I'm constantly waiting on elements like graphics from VFX artist or music from a composer. We have schedules and deadlines, but unfortunately some things are beyond our control (as is the case for slow to receive parts for BMD).

I am waiting just like everyone else and hoping I get the call/email saying my camera is ready for pickup but until then we just have to wait.
Rob Burgos
colorist/editor/producer
full circle post nyc

bhook

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Constant information? I don't think that's what's being asked for. We could have a fireside chat every Friday...that would be nice. But when a commitment of "a few weeks" becomes obviously impossible to honor, an update sure seems in order to me.

Rob Burgos

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Well, let's hope we get one today.
Rob Burgos
colorist/editor/producer
full circle post nyc

bhook

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Rob Burgos wrote:Well, let's hope we get one today.

My fingers are crossed. It beats the devil out of being ignored.

Costa Louvieris

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 3:29 pm

mhood wrote:

Yeah, this seems to be getting a little bit annoying. Obviously BMD have made a mistake here and something is going VERY wrong behind the scenes. Keeping quiet actually makes it worse... maybe they should rethink their markering strategy. :)

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 3:46 pm

That podcast said that the BMCC is only "a few weeks late" on their release date. A few weeks? Come on BMD, we both know you're stretching the truth. Now it will be "a few weeks more". Does this "few weeks" mean yet another three months? Stop with the "within days" updates and give us some real information. It's offense how they think they can just keep pulling us along with these "any day now" updates.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Andrew McMurry

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Why is everyone being so bitchy? BMD is doing their best to release an amazing product and you guys can't be patient with them? Sheesh, if I were BMD I would delete this whole forum.

sean mclennan

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Costa wrote:
mhood wrote:

Yeah, this seems to be getting a little bit annoying. Obviously BMD have made a mistake here and something is going VERY wrong behind the scenes. Keeping quiet actually makes it worse... maybe they should rethink their markering strategy. :)

No, they didn't make any mistakes, other than under estimating the demand.

BM doesn't manufacture these cameras by themselves. They are built using components from other manufacturers. The most vital and complicated bit is the sensor. There are NOT that many manufacturers in the world who make them. I'm willing to bet dollar to nickels, that's where the delay is.

BM is waiting on someone else. They've already told us this. Until they have information to provide, there is no point in continuing discussions about ship dates.

Once they know, they'll let us know.

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 pm

No one is saying it has to come out faster or there can't be delays. Obviously this is a tricky thing, being their first camera. What is frustrating is their misleading updates. Whenever they inform us they say "within days", while the US distro says they never received a unit and expect months. Then those weeks and weeks go by and it's another update of "any day now". What I want from BMD is a real estimate. Not "soon, very soon". Be realistic. I want to know if we're looking at one month or 3+, that will help gage my expectations (which they have unfortunately set as shipping last month "tricking out" now... while zero have shipped. What does trickle mean?)
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Andrew McMurry

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 5:36 pm

whoatemyteeth wrote:No one is saying it has to come out faster or there can't be delays. Obviously this is a tricky thing, being their first camera. What is frustrating is their misleading updates. Whenever they inform us they say "within days", while the US distro says they never received a unit and expect months. Then those weeks and weeks go by and it's another update of "any day now". What I want from BMD is a real estimate. Not "soon, very soon". Be realistic. I want to know if we're looking at one month or 3+, that will help gage my expectations (which they have unfortunately set as shipping last month "tricking out" now... while zero have shipped. What does trickle mean?)

That makes a little more sense. I guess I just feel that all this arguing might put more stress on them than they already have. And I'm sure they have a lot already.

By the way, I hope you find the jerk who ate your teeth.

sean mclennan

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 6:10 pm

whoatemyteeth wrote:No one is saying it has to come out faster or there can't be delays. Obviously this is a tricky thing, being their first camera. What is frustrating is their misleading updates. Whenever they inform us they say "within days", while the US distro says they never received a unit and expect months. Then those weeks and weeks go by and it's another update of "any day now". What I want from BMD is a real estimate. Not "soon, very soon". Be realistic. I want to know if we're looking at one month or 3+, that will help gage my expectations (which they have unfortunately set as shipping last month "tricking out" now... while zero have shipped. What does trickle mean?)

Point taken, however from a business that makes money through sales, I'm sure no one in sales wants them to say "we don't know when" or that it's months away. Pre-orders and pre-sales are good. There will be a worry of scaring people off. While at the same time, the delays are going to frustrate and lose some customers as well.

It's a fine balancing act.

I do agree they shouldn't be saying "any day now" if they aren't shipping or don't know....however, I have to be honest, I've never seen that communication coming from a BM employee. (not saying it hasn't happened, just I've only ever seen it as rumour on other sites, using quoted in the 3rd person)

In any case, I sincerely think this delay was unforeseen and that BM is as frustrated as we are. Hopefully they get things moving again soon!

sean

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Andrewmfilms wrote:Why is everyone being so bitchy? BMD is doing their best to release an amazing product and you guys can't be patient with them? Sheesh, if I were BMD I would delete this whole forum.

why not? for example, my camera died on the set yesterday.. if i could have my BMC that I ordered from B&H and BMD wouldn't delay with the production/shipping I would cover the shoot with BMC. But I didn't get my BMC, my another camera is broken since yesterday. i got so many troubles with it. Financial, professional, emotional, etc. I'm frustrated. because i was counting on the company with the history. i believed that if they said something they will do something.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Rob Burgos wrote:The difference between BMD and the Digital Bolex is that BMD didn't ask you for money to produce a product. Therefore, they are not obligated to give you updates.

that's not true. somewhere from 50% to 80% pre-order was full charged. where these money, nobody knows. if they didn't go straight to the BMD, with the statistics of pre-orders, the fact that customers was charged, you can get investments, credits, etc. and until the moment when 99.95% of customers that "bought" the camera don't have it.. with the fact that it wasn't donations for a venture project, it wasn't $5 or more on your choice.. you can't say that some difference there.
bmd used their reputations to get pre-orders. bolex - their transparency.
what's better? your money somewhere, you don't know what's going on, you delay your projects, and etc.
is it that you was expecting?
Last edited by PetePolyakov on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhook

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 pm

PetePolyakov wrote:
Rob Burgos wrote:The difference between BMD and the Digital Bolex is that BMD didn't ask you for money to produce a product. Therefore, they are not obligated to give you updates.

that's not true. somewhere from 50% to 80% pre-order was full charged. where these money, nobody knows.

I'm pretty sure the dealers have it now. My check wasn't written to BMD, nor did they cash it. Of course, the lion's share of my check will go to BMD when/if they deliver my camera. It would be gr8 if they'd assign me a serial number...maybe even a certificate of ownership suitable for framing.

Andrew McMurry

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 7:49 pm

PetePolyakov wrote:
Andrewmfilms wrote:Why is everyone being so bitchy? BMD is doing their best to release an amazing product and you guys can't be patient with them? Sheesh, if I were BMD I would delete this whole forum.

why not? for example, my camera died on the set yesterday.. if i could have my BMC that I ordered from B&H and BMD wouldn't delay with the production/shipping I would cover the shoot with BMC. But I didn't get my BMC, my another camera is broken since yesterday. i got so many troubles with it. Financial, professional, emotional, etc. I'm frustrated. because i was counting on the company with the history. i believed that if they said something they will do something.

It's not like you're never going to get the camera. It could be weeks/months but you WILL get it eventually. I also ordered one, but I'm not silly enough to plan any projects around a product I pre-ordered. I can work with what I have until I get the camera, THEN I can work it into projects I have going.

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Andrewmfilms wrote: I guess I just feel that all this arguing might put more stress on them than they already have.

I highly doubt Black Magic is stressed over anybody that would jump ship (claiming to do so in an internet forum btw) over a delayed release on a 1st generation of a product..really, this isnt an iphone 5 where talking about.

A suggestion to those who think Black Magic is being unfair/wrong/or whataver....go buy another camera,go ahead, put your money where your mouth is.... better yet, invent one with the same specs at the same cost point and get back to us with the delivery date.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 pm

mhood wrote:
PetePolyakov wrote:

that's not true. somewhere from 50% to 80% pre-order was full charged. where these money, nobody knows.

I'm pretty sure the dealers have it now. My check wasn't written to BMD, nor did they cash it. Of course, the lion's share of my check will go to BMD when/if they deliver my camera. It would be gr8 if they'd assign me a serial number...maybe even a certificate of ownership suitable for framing.

so many ways to get the money. if you have 10000 preorders that some of them full charged. to get new investments with this statistics much more easier. and it's just one of the hypothesizes. because bmd don't say anything new.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Andrewmfilms wrote: I'm not silly enough to plan any projects around a product I pre-ordered.

me too. i just said that happened on the set, expressed my frustration - that bmd could stick around their words and i wouldn't have this issue with the shoot. but they didn't and i'm trying to figure out what we have to do.

everyone here asking for information and transparency. i have the same questions as everyone.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 pm

st1ng wrote:A suggestion to those who think Black Magic is being unfair/wrong/or whataver....go buy another camera,go ahead, put your money where your mouth is.... better yet, invent one with the same specs at the same cost point and get back to us with the delivery date.

listen, if i couldn't have an extra stuff for bmc for $4000+ i wouldn't sit here and spent my time on these discussions with you or any other users. i just would say - hey guys, any news? and if nothing there, i would say, oh ok, let me know when it will be in the stores.

paul schefz

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Andrewmfilms wrote:
I guess I just feel that all this arguing might put more stress on them than they already have.

i wish the arguing would stop....because it is a simple situation:
some people who pre ordered would like to be in loop on what is going on and when...
some people don't mind waiting....

the arguing would stop if the people who don't mind waiting would stop arguing! because the others are simply hoping to hear SOMETHING from BM....and not from anyone else, really....

at this point, close to 6 months after announcement, we have seen amazing footage but we also know that there has been no mass produced shipment of the finished product.....i guess it is easier to hand make a couple of bodies to show amazing footage, then to mass produce these same cameras, especially at that low price....
red gave up, and they make their own sensor and already had a camera out.....

so unless we see a MASS shipment (to at least cover the first wave of orders) this is still in vapor ware (working prototypes, can't get production going...) territory....

Theodore Prentice

Re: official statement

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:29 pm

2 threads complaining about updates/delivery dates now?

Lame.

Mods please close this or merge it with the other thread.

Scott R McCartney

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 pm

st1ng wrote:2 threads complaining about updates/delivery dates now?

Lame.

Mods please close this or merge it with the other thread.

I'll second that ;)

Antonio Rosiello

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Well, I imagine the stress etc., but I imagine the stress of those who paid 3000 $ or € and don't even have an idea of when they will get the camera. Another thing : can you call an idiot somebody who scheduled a project 3 months after the camera's announced shipment? I don't think so.

There are videomakers here that ordered and paid the camera in april, yes you can imagine there will be a delay, but a 4-5-6 months delay, c'mon guys, that was a big gaffe from BMD.
To me the fact that the only news we are getting are from the resellers (and there are MANY resellers saying that they expect to ship the camera at the end of the year!) is even worse, it's a clear sign of bad communication guys, there is no excuse.

I know we will all forget this when we get our cameras, but still, BMD has lost control of this.

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:35 pm

pss wrote:
i wish the arguing would stop....because it is a simple situation:.

Be the change you would like to see in the world...

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:44 pm

I am going to be merging this thread with the other shipping thread since much of this discussion is happening in two places at once.

Terry

Eric Santiago

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Terry Frechette wrote:I am going to be merging this thread with the other shipping thread since much of this discussion is happening in two places at once.

Terry

Darn it Terry you almost gave me a heart attack posting on here :P
My predictions of you guys showing up on Fridays almost came through :)

Rob Burgos

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 pm

I thought the same thing Eric. So close.
Rob Burgos
colorist/editor/producer
full circle post nyc

Scott R McCartney

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:
Terry Frechette wrote:I am going to be merging this thread with the other shipping thread since much of this discussion is happening in two places at once.

Terry

Darn it Terry you almost gave me a heart attack posting on here :P
My predictions of you guys showing up on Fridays almost came through :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=998

not so much an update but nice to hear from the BMD, think it's all a lot of us want. ;)

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to cause palpitations.

I did just post an update. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=998

The update is a locked thread, and ongoing shipping discussions should be done on the existing shipping dates thread. Just to avoid redundancy.

Thanks.

Terry

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 10:23 pm

I think this verifies that there's no cameras coming for a long time. The fact that they're STILL waiting on parts means whenever it is they do get them in (if it ever does work out), then it has to go into production, run through that process, then ship to the distros, then to re-sellers, then to customers, easily a few months if this update was that they just got the parts. Several plus months if we're not even at that step yet.

Might end up they never get the parts at the price they want. Maybe this camera gets canceled or price hiked, or it turns into vaporware. Not looking good.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Scott R McCartney

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 10:30 pm

whoatemyteeth wrote:I think this verifies that there's no cameras coming for a long time. The fact that they're STILL waiting on parts means whenever it is they do get them in (if it ever does work out), then it has to go into production, run through that process, then ship to the distros, then to re-sellers, then to customers, easily a few months if this update was that they just got the parts. Several plus months if we're not even at that step yet.

Might end up they never get the parts at the price they want. Maybe this camera gets canceled or price hiked, or it turns into vaporware. Not looking good.

Verification would really require some evidence, this is just speculation. not that I'm saying you don't have a point, but I suspect Terry is just responding to the demand for BMD to join the conversation more. :)

bhook

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks Terry. You might want to make a "sticky" out of the locked thread. Also, would you like to amend or adjust the "few weeks" prediction from the last statement or does BMD still stand pat on that?

simonkn

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Just to save a lot of tired fingers the trouble of typing...

I predict that:

A few random people will reply now with a "thank you" to Terry for his update.

Approximately 6-8 people will then, after a few days, continue Mr.Teeth's sentiment that the world is going to end and there will never be a camera and dammit!...why hasn't Terry been back to us.. It's been a week after all!

Another 6-8 people (like me) will go all British on the first 6-8 by saying "KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!" Because quite frankly YES! ANYONE who books a gig without holding the equipment in their hands is daft..!

2 of you will sit on the fence and agree with everybody and then disagree with yourselves..

And one little camera company will continue to make a camera that will still change the world - even if everyone on this forum disappeared in a puff of smoke....

On a personal level, and should Terry or anyone from BMD ever get through the detritus to read this... I work in a low-cost airline here in the UK and deal everyday with passenger with complaints. And whats their biggest complaint?? Lack of information.. I cant give them any idea when the flight will go. I can't tell them when it will arrive. I can't tell them if they have a seat on it.. All I know is that if the delay is longer than 3 hours, they will get a free packet of peanuts and a drink...

So Terry and BMD... Best of luck with the camera... its going to be stupendous (but then YOU know that!)... Deliver us a camera when it's ready to be delivered..... and perhaps a free packet of peanuts?????

Regards

SK

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 11:03 pm

What bothers me are the mixed messages. We're told that parts are slowly coming in, and previously that cameras are "trickling" out, yet not a single camera has shipped to the US distro. So, are things moving slowly, or are they completely stopped waiting on these parts?

The last updated was that units are coming "within weeks". This update is that nothing change from the last, so that would mean we should be getting our cameras this week, but since that part of the update was left off I imagine it still stands as a generic, additional "a few weeks".

If units are going to be slowly "tricking" out, I'd wait (since I'm first in line on a couple lists), or if they said mass shipment won't happen until December at the soonest, then I could adjust my finances.

I told myself I'd wait it out until the end of this month for some real info...
www.whoatemyteeth.com

paul schefz

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 pm

well the lawyer in me reads the "we don't know how many" as a confirmation that some WILL ship.....

regardless there had to be some major changes with some parts in the last couple of months, otherwise i don't see how this problem would arise now.....

it will be interesting to see the difference between the cameras out there now and the ones shipping....shortly? soon? sometime?

either way, i am not sure how i can read anything positive into this (other then the confirmation that SOME WILL ship this month....)....

regardless, i will stop asking.....my A99 is supposed to ship by end of october, it will be interesting which one i will get to play with first....

Brian T

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 4:03 am

It's not hard to manufacture a passive MFT mount for this camera. My guess is the EF will be delayed till December as well for supply (or what have you) reasons... I could be wrong

John Bartman

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 6:46 am

Why can't someone at BM have the guts to say:

For the following reasons...we were not able to ship as planned.
We understand the dissapointment customers are feeling,
However by such and such a date ...the cameras will definatley be available.

Instead of turning this whole thing into a "scarlet" affair!
Last edited by John Bartman on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

MikeC

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 6:58 am

Brian T wrote:It's not hard to manufacture a passive MFT mount for this camera. My guess is the EF will be delayed till December as well for supply (or what have you) reasons... I could be wrong

Unfortunately we don't know what the parts are that they're having problems getting. If it was something that was specific to the EF mount version and they could get the MFT version sooner, I would gladly opt for the MFT. Really the only reason I'm sticking with the EF is because I want the camera sooner (then I would switch it out once the MFT became available). So whether it's EF of MFT, it doesn't really matter to me, I don't have a ton of MFT glass nor do I have CP.2's or PL mount lenses.

So whatever works BM, I just want it yesterday! :D

Peter J. Odio

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 6:58 am

bartman wrote:Why can't someone at BM have the guts to say:

For the following reasons...we were not able to ship as planned.
We understand the dissapointment customoers are feeling,
However by such and such a date ...the cameras will definatley be available.

Instead of turning this whole thing into a "scarlet" affair!

I'll also appreciate a direct answer, even if the answer is "We don't know".

Of course I'll prefer an estimate. October? November? December? I hope we are not talking 2013... 2014....

Andy Smith

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 4:40 pm

We've got a direct answer by Terry Frechette already http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=998:
[we] do not have a set timeframe for shipping in volume or how many cameras will be shipped this month"

Eric Santiago

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 5:27 pm

It was a lot easier back in August when everyone was blaming Apple ;)

Btw the camera will not change my world, it just changes my financial situation for the next year.
If I dont see this thing soon, then its bank loan time for a Scarlet package.
Notice I didnt add ":P" or ":)" on the end of that sentence.
Thats cause Im ready for any challenges Im about to face ;)

Nick Smith

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Actually it will change the world for some of us. As a student going into their final year, having a camera this good that I can actually own is a mind bogaling prospect.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography